6 People, 12 Days, 5 Provinces, 5837.4 KM

A typical "road trip" for me is a long drive to a campsite or cottage where we'd stay for a few days before returning home. This summer, we decided to do something different.

GM Canada kindly lent me a 2016 Chevrolet Traverse so I could go on an east coast adventure with the entire family. That includes a baby, a toddler, a pre-teen and a teenager. All accomodations were booked in advance via Airbnb. When I left home a couple of Sunday mornings ago, I had no clue how it would all unfold.

PEI

It couldn't have gone better. The Traverse was perfect, providing enough space for all six of us and the necessary gear when you travel with youngins. We needed a stroller, play pen and cot, for example.

I did all the driving on this trip, which totalled 5837.5 km. The Traverse was comfortable and smooth, and the Sirius XM was fully utilized. I don't think I've driven 5837.5 km the past four years combined.

Finally Tally in the Traverse

Here are the locations we spent the night in Airbnb rentals that could accomodate the six of us. I'm listing them in order. We stayed in each location one night, except Cavendish and Halifax, where we spent two nights each. The final spot was my wife's cousin's house, so it didn't cost me a cent.

• Montreal, Quebec
  • Mont-Joli, Quebec
  • Moncton, New Brunswick
  • Cavendish, PEI
  • Port Hood, Nova Scotia
  • Ingonish, Nova Scotia
  • Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Fredericton, New Brunswick
  • Quebec City, Quebec
  • Gatineau, Quebec

Along the way there were trips to Chaudière Falls, the Cape George Point Lighthouse, Hopewell Rocks in the Bay of Fundy, Charlottetown, Cavendish Campground in Prince Edward Island National Park of Canada, the Skyline Trail at Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg and the prettiest drive I've ever enjoyed, along the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton.

IMG_8305

In a span of two weeks, we visited five provincial capitals, enjoyed Cow's Ice Cream, plenty of seafood, and Schwartz's Deli, and all four kids were amazing. That was the most pleasant surprise of all. I watched my oldest bond with his little brother and everyone get along in the tightest of quarters for 5837.5 km. I'm so glad we took this trip.

Nova Scotia

Best of all, I have a new appreciation for our eastern provinces (with apologies to Newfoundland and Labrador which I simply didn't have time to experience). Previously, I had never been east of Quebec City. I've now seen first hand the natural beauty down east, the beautiful architecture and the nicest people on the planet and return home with tremendous memories that will last a lifetime.

Nova Scotia

Jason from Sudbury

Awesome Mike. Glad you and the family had a good time.

August 27, 2016 @ 3:31 PM

Rick C in Oakville

What mileage did you see with the Traverse. I rented an Equinox and it delivered about 10l per 100 km combined.

August 27, 2016 @ 3:43 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

10.2 litres/100 km with highway driving. I'm told 12.4 litres/100 km with mixed driving.

August 27, 2016 @ 4:33 PM

Blind Dave

Thrilled for you and the family, Mike. My parents did the down east trip with me when I was nine or ten. Brings back great memories.

James has been taking his vitamins. Holy cow!!!

August 27, 2016 @ 6:08 PM

Guelphite

I did a similarly trip out east with my wife and 2 kids in July over 8 days. Levis, PQ to Moncton to Charlottetown to Quebec City and home. Going to Hopewell Rocks and the Tidal Bore were fantastic as we're the beaches in PEI. Also very fortunate to have family in PEI who were gracious to wine and dine us around Souris and Montague.
Only downfall were the kids were pooped by the time we got to Old Quebec to appreciate the scenery.

August 27, 2016 @ 6:09 PM

@Guelphite

We did very similar trips!

August 27, 2016 @ 6:16 PM

@Blind Dave

His doctor told him he's "built like a brick shit house".

August 27, 2016 @ 6:16 PM

Douglas

Great to hear that you had an amazing trip, Mike. As I've mentioned, I did a maritime provinces trip in 2012 along with my Aussie "brother"/mate. Your posts allowed me to mentally revisit that trip, which was taken because, like you, I had never been east of Quebec City, and that was back in grade nine. So...thanks! With the extra time allowed by flying from Toronto, my trip included Newfoundland, but unfortunately not Labrador (there's an "excuse" for another trip), although it did include an overnight visit to St. Pierre. For anyone who does get to the Rock, you "have to" make the trip to St. Pierre, even if only for the reason that it's there.

August 28, 2016 @ 10:32 AM

anon

Looks like the East Coast is a beautiful place to visit. Those photos probably don't do it justice.

Summer time looks fun but it is a cold, long winter.

August 28, 2016 @ 4:21 PM

GUNTer

your kids are troopers! that is ALOT of km's in 12 days.
I don't do road trips because I go squirrely in the car after about two hours.

August 28, 2016 @ 4:54 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Mike: Over all how did you like the Traverse? Considering it as your next vehicle maybe? Not too many options if you're trying to get something big enough for the entire family plus space to put stuff. The Ford Flex is a bit bigger though isn't it?

August 28, 2016 @ 5:18 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

The Flex might have been a tad bigger, because it's just one big rectangle.

I'm having a tough time making this decision because I really like my car and I'm not in the mood to drop a bunch of money on a new one, even though I realize I need at least six seatbelts.

I suppose I'm in hardcore procrastination mode.

August 28, 2016 @ 8:30 PM

mike

glad to you hear your family had fun. Might rent an RV and do the same thing next year!

August 29, 2016 @ 5:47 AM

elvis

This sounds horrible.

August 29, 2016 @ 8:09 AM

mrmojorisinca

A friend and I did almost the same trip in 2010 I believe..
looking forward to do it with the Family when my daughter can enjoy it as well.

August 29, 2016 @ 11:58 AM

free rides

@TorontoMike ..

How the heck do you get all these different car companies\dealers to lend you free wheels?

Keep it up & you may never have to buy new wheels!

August 29, 2016 @ 12:26 PM

James Edgar

Looks like you had a great trip! Not surprised knowing how great it can be down east.

Congrats to you all for getting along cooped up in a car for that much milage!

August 29, 2016 @ 1:51 PM

andrew

@Mike

With 6 seatbelts, etc. Have you looked into buying a used small school bus?

August 29, 2016 @ 6:18 PM

@andrew

Forget that, I want one of those big ass school buses.

August 29, 2016 @ 6:33 PM

Teena in Toronto

Sounds like an awesome vacation ... sooooo jealous!

August 29, 2016 @ 8:47 PM

Sam in Pickering

Now I have to plan an east coast road trip.

August 30, 2016 @ 3:57 PM