martinstreek.com Update

Long time CFNY deejay Martin Streek passed away 7 years ago last week. Less than a year later, his website, www.martinstreek.com, lapsed and looked like this for the longest time.

martinstreek

I can't tell you how much this bothered me. Actually, I can, and I did. On the one year anniversary of his death, I wrote about the long, frustrating, sad tale of www.martinstreek.com.

A few months of back and forth with the registrar/seller and we're at an impasse due to the unique circumstances of the situation. Overall, it's just a highly unethical, illegal situation that can't be fought without what seems like endless resources. martinstreek.com remains offline, without a tribute to Martin, and for that, I'm truly sorry.

Then, a few months ago, I received an email from Adam M letting me know www.martinstreek.com was available. I bought it immediately, before it once more fell into the wrong hands.

Currently, I have up links to eight hours of tribute audio I'm hosting, from David Marsden and 102.1 the Edge. I'm open to suggestions as to what should be there. If you have a suggestion as to how we can best honour Martin Streek's memory, please let me know in the comments or send me an email.

streek

Al The Royal Pain

That's a great use of that site Mike, well done!

I'm not 100% sure how Storify works, but what about setting up something like that up on the site. It would allow others who visit there to contribute to Martin's story through their own experiences.

July 11, 2016 @ 10:05 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

I could easily add a page for people to share their Martin stories. That's a pretty good idea...

July 11, 2016 @ 10:06 AM

Douglas

Nicely done, Mike.

July 11, 2016 @ 11:42 AM

Irv

Yeah, and maybe consider putting a link to help lines & suicide resources on the site too.

July 11, 2016 @ 11:50 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Irv

YES! Excellent idea!

July 11, 2016 @ 11:54 AM

I have added 416-408-HELP (4357) for those feeling suicidal. Good idea.

July 11, 2016 @ 1:23 PM

James Edgar

Thank You Mike. Well done.

July 11, 2016 @ 1:28 PM

GUNTer

not sure about this. perhaps the family let the website expire for a reason? I know your intentions are good but......I dunno doesn't quite sit right somehow.

July 11, 2016 @ 3:48 PM

@GUNTer

If the famiy reaches out and wants the domain, it's theirs.

If they don't want a tribute, and just want a blank page, that's what they'll get.

But I'd rather own it and have it blank than see it fall into the wrong hands.

July 11, 2016 @ 3:51 PM

Irv

GUNTer

Typically a domain that was once relatively popular and is free is bought up by nefarious types who inject a shit load of malware laden advertising or ransomware into it. Here, click on the button to listen to Martin & opps, sorry about that ransomware. Now shell out half a bitcoin to get your computer back.

It also happens with static websites which are parked but where the administrators don't patch their web servers. Some hacker comes along, injects malware into the site and the end user is infected. It doesn't take long to scan & hack a poorly configured or unpatched web server. Web admins are known for putting security on the back burner.

July 12, 2016 @ 7:15 AM

mr. briefcase

Wow, I forgot what a dick Jason "get your OJ" was. I kind of miss his asshat attitude. Punk.

July 12, 2016 @ 8:07 AM

Adam MacDonald

Well done, Mike! I'm happy to have been of assistance, and even happier that it ended up in the right hands. Cheers to you, and cheers to Martin!

July 12, 2016 @ 10:31 AM

andrew

I can understand everyone's love of Martin Streek, I wanted to write something about this but 24-7 rule. Not going to as may be somewhat inappropriate. Will do later.

RIP Martin as many loved you

July 12, 2016 @ 7:04 PM

Irv

@Briefcase:

FYI, Jason "Get your OJ" went on to accomplish a great deal in life through a whole bunch of hard work & sacrifice.

@Andrew: Honestly, I wasn't a fan of Streek mostly because only memories of him were in the early days of CFNY in the 80's and the odd dial punching in the 90's. Looking back I admit to finding the whole "blame Corus" thing obnoxious though & as you probably know, I have zero love for radio. I think that simplifies why he was suicidal perhaps in the hopes regular people can find a reason why. People "need" a reason why. It was probably a whole bunch of reasons & none of us will ever know.

Now the way Corus handled it didn't surprise me. It took a WHOLE lot of public rage to change their position too. Radio claims they "love feedback from their listeners" yet what's left of the personalities just "disappear"if they're let go/fired. These people are professionals, do they really think that if they're on their last shift they're going to play Nazi Punks Fuck Off and burn the studio down? Hell, maybe the small audience left listening to FM radio might even be annoyed their favorite personality is gone for reasons unknown.

July 12, 2016 @ 9:15 PM

Last appearance by Jason "Get Your OJ" Patterson was less than a year ago: http://www.torontomike.com/2015/07/rowdy_roddy_piper_dead_at_61.html#comment-278807

July 12, 2016 @ 9:29 PM