Leafs Win 2016 NHL Draft Lottery

The Leafs had a 20% chance of winning tonight's 2016 NHL Draft Lottery and the balls bounced in our favour for once. We've won the lottery and will draft first overall on June 24.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty happy. It's nice to know all that losing last season has paid off. Auston Matthews is all but a lock to go first, so if the Leafs don't trade the pick, Matthews will be the big talented center we've lacked since Mats Sundin.

AM

If the Raps win game 7 tomorrow night, this would be one helluva sports weekend in this city.

Anonymous

April 30, 2016 @ 8:26 PM

Anonymous

Dylan Strome and Ekman Larson and their first sound about right!

April 30, 2016 @ 9:20 PM

what about Naz?

Super! Glad Lady Luck graced the Leafs for a change.

With Matthews & Nylander, in a few short years, Kadri will be our #3 centre at best. Makes one ponder a bit about the 6 year contract Nazem got recently & why the Leafs didn't wait until after the draft lottery.

April 30, 2016 @ 10:08 PM

chris

Gotta feel sorry for Bozak.

April 30, 2016 @ 10:52 PM

It's tough to feel sorry for a guy who lived so many years rent free.

April 30, 2016 @ 10:58 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Matthews didn't seem too happy about going to the Leafs. Being from Phoenix and growing up a Coyotes fan that's probably where he wanted to go.

Personally if I was the Leafs, I would see what the Coyotes want for that first pick. Try and get Domi, Ekman Larson and Strome.

April 30, 2016 @ 11:50 PM

chris

@ Jason

I would do it & Leafs also package Lupul & Bozak.

May 1, 2016 @ 12:01 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Chris: You couldn't even give those guys away.

May 1, 2016 @ 12:21 AM

@Jason from Sudbury

Always a possibility Phoenix over pays for Matthews and we deal the pick there, but #1 centres are so elusive, I could see the Leafs keeping it anyway.

It's nice to have these options.

May 1, 2016 @ 8:42 AM

Matt

Good for the leafs. They finally have a competent group in management. A good leafs team has been a long time coming. Future is bright.

As for the raptors even if they win tonight, I doubt they get through the second round.

May 1, 2016 @ 10:18 AM

Another Steve

Getting #1 pick certainly helps the re-build.

I like that management have nothing to say with regard to what, or who the pick will turn into.

Today is no different than last Sunday, Leaf's are still the last place club in the NHL.

My guess is Bozak & Lupul are on borrowed time.

Headed in the right direction, but still a long way to go in terms of being a respectable and competitive hockey club.

May 1, 2016 @ 2:44 PM

mrmojorisinca

I don't see them trading away a centre..unless it brings in a young centre to replace him along with a true number one goaltender (who is also youngish).

agree with Mike its nice to have the options now..

should be a good time come Free Agency...

I believe Stamkos will be dawning a Habs Jersey and hang with his old Pal PK...Leafs get Tavares in two years time..A guy can dream can't he :)

May 2, 2016 @ 8:22 AM

Jason from Sudbury

I'm a Habs fan. Would be cool if they got Stamkos.

May 2, 2016 @ 10:12 AM

Argie

I'm a Leaf fan but there's no way they or any other team in Canada is getting Stamkos, Tavares or any other star free agent. Once they've had a taste of the US, they aint coming back.

Ask Gretzky, Lemieux, Yzerman, etc. if they would have signed with a Cdn club.

May 2, 2016 @ 10:27 AM

mrmojorisinca

If I could ask them I would..
but since I can't I'll stick with my theory.
I can understand what your saying but if there is money on the table (which there will be) and they have the chance to win the ultimate prize in their industry (and I believe there would be) then I don't see them not coming to play in Canada for either the Leafs or Habs, original six teams.. They are Men playing a boys sport for a living so I have to think that boy that made them love this game is still in there somewhere and would love to bring a cup back to on of the two biggest cities in the game.

May 2, 2016 @ 10:48 AM

Argie

Lower taxes, being able to go about your day without being hounded by fans or reporters and generally better weather are some of the reasons they choose not to return to Canada.

May 2, 2016 @ 10:57 AM

mrmojorisinca

I agree with all of that..but I'd have to think on some level it has to be pretty exciting to play in a major market in Canada.

May 2, 2016 @ 11:32 AM

fourteen

A young talent is about to be ruined. Leafs culture will never change and they are about to ruin some young man's talent and future. Don't forget the lesson of Steve Thomas's escape.

May 2, 2016 @ 6:59 PM

Blind Dave

@fourteen

And Luke Schenn is still suffering Leaf hangover.

May 2, 2016 @ 9:44 PM

mrmojorisinca

@ FOURTEEN AND who ever else...
previous leafs brass have given people the right to criticize on such topics so I get it..but the last 14 to 16 months also shows they are trying to getaway from that previous brasses way of life..compare apples to apples..how have the guys ruined anything for anyone?

May 3, 2016 @ 8:50 AM

Mel Preston

Agree @mrmojo. This new Leafs management team seems different.
The past 18 months or so since Shanahan has come on board has been quite refreshing. Drafting and developing is their priority. I read somewhere that this summer after the draft, the Leafs will have 3 of the top 10 prospects on the planet ( Marner, Nylander & Matthews). When was the last time we could have said anything remotely close to that?

This Russian kid they signed yesterday was sought after by almost every team. 24 years old and a KHL all-star; projected as a top 4 defenseman. He chose the Leafs.

Saturday was also the first time the new Leafs logo was used. Is the Ballard curse dead? Sure hope so!

May 3, 2016 @ 10:25 AM

mrmojorisinca

@Mel Preston.

cheers to that :)

May 3, 2016 @ 11:33 AM

fourteen

We'll see, hope you are right. I was born in 1960, started playing and following hockey in '65. My cynicism is borne of a lifetime of experience.

May 3, 2016 @ 1:49 PM

mrmojorisinca

we all hope :)
this is the most confident I've felt in a management team in a long long time.

I still don't think Stamkos is coming to TO though..think he going to Montreal (if he chooses Canada) or another US big market team who is currently or much closer to be a cup contender :)

May 3, 2016 @ 2:31 PM