Hugh Burrill, James Cybulski and Jamie Thomas Cut by Rogers Sportsnet

As learned from TSM, Rogers axed a number of people at Sportsnet yesterday.

The vast majority of those fired worked behind the scenes, and have names you won't recognize, but at least three on-air people you're familiar with are part of these cuts.

They are:

• Hugh Burrill
  • James Cybulski
  • Jamie Thomas

I truly feel for people in this industry that looked so glamorous when I was young. The number of jobs paying a respectable wage continue to shrink, leaving those discarded with fewer and fewer options.

Here's hoping everyone lands on their feet and remembers that they are not their job.

You are not your job, you're not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You are not your fucking khakis. You are all singing, all dancing crap of the world.

~ Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Mat Rockswell

Hopefully thay all bounce back. James Cybulski never seemed to find his stride with Sportsnet. That may have been due to the production or support. Either way best of luck to all of them.

March 10, 2016 @ 9:06 AM

Barb

I like this blog because credit is always given where credit is due.

So many bloggers and mainstream news orgs would simply write this story without crediting the person who broke it.

Keep up the great work!

March 10, 2016 @ 9:24 AM

joe

i use to watch just to see my buddy Hugh Burrill , no more Sports Net .

March 10, 2016 @ 9:25 AM

Wally

Sad to see Huge let go. I've liked him since his days at City.

While I'm not a big fan of Cybulski, it boggles my mind that he gets let go before some universally disliked people such as Ken Reid or any number of their "hockey experts".

Over/under 3 more years until Sportsnet begins offloading some NHL games to TSN?

March 10, 2016 @ 9:55 AM

Ryan G

They gotta clear out salaries for that distinguished new female journalist recently added to the SN roster. I believe her name is Hottie McSexy.

March 10, 2016 @ 10:18 AM

Bill D

Sportsnet should be looking at replacing the lacklustre group they have handling their hockey coverage before making these types of changes. I'm certain James could do a better job than most of the people they presently have in place, especially their lead guy, Nick Kypreos.

March 10, 2016 @ 1:54 PM

Alison in Ottawa

@Ryan G Really?

March 10, 2016 @ 2:03 PM

Ryan G

@Alison..not sure if you're tsk tsk'ng me or asking if that's really her name.

If the latter, yes, that's really her name.

In my mind it is anyway. Others call her jackie redmond.

March 10, 2016 @ 2:13 PM

Bill D

Jackie Redmond is entertaining and has an awesome resume, check it out Ryan, before making such goofy comments.

March 10, 2016 @ 2:17 PM

Ryan G

@Bill D - Do you think it's merely a coincidence that Rogers puts attractive women on their sports network? Me thinks not. It's part of the package. You can say what you want about Rogers SN, but they wouldn't be short sighted enough to put someone on air who knew zero about sports. I've re read my post seventeen times and nowhere did i say she wasn't good.

Lighten the hell up.

March 10, 2016 @ 2:29 PM

Alison Press

@Ryan G Yep, that was a tsk tsk, It drives me crazy that no attractive men in broadcasting roles are questioned about whether they should have their job, I'm a fan of many of the female sportscasters (love Kate and Natasha on TSN) and I love that my daughter, who is crazy about sports, sees intelligent women talking about sports....

March 10, 2016 @ 3:54 PM

Alison Press

@Ryan G....and yes, I know you were joking and we should lighten up, ..

March 10, 2016 @ 3:58 PM

Alan Gelman

Having known and worked with Hugh personally I want to pass on my best wishes.
He was fun, informative and absolutely loved what he did and it showed!
Sure he'll find a new, better position soon! Lot's O luck Buddy!

March 11, 2016 @ 7:35 AM

Alan Gelman

Having worked with Hugh a few times years back I can honestly say that Hugh was what you saw,, He loved broadcasting and it showed. He is talented and as I say,, good natured, I"m sure he will be back on air very soon. Good luck Hugh!

March 11, 2016 @ 7:54 AM

GAry

I agree with Bill D...perhaps Rogers should really be looking at their hockey coverage and how awful it is. I still can't watch it.

March 11, 2016 @ 8:50 AM

Scott dalrymple

Sad to see Hugh B let go. He is a real character, I love his sense of humour.

March 11, 2016 @ 4:59 PM

Anon

The same reason that Jackie Redmond won Gillette Drafted @ the now defunct The Score, where she got her big break, is Y she is being kept & all the guys are being let go at Sportsnet who bought out The Score some time ago. Ask Cam Stewart, the raging Redhead.

Even bimbos should be able to see it.

March 12, 2016 @ 1:44 PM

Bob

Miss C-ball &Caroline loved show ruined like Tim & Sid putting at same time as Bob -Cat , get rid of bias on uckry central next, lost viewer, but maybe go back i to TSN

March 28, 2016 @ 1:21 PM

Anonymous

These guys are screwing up my morning routine. I liked James and Caroline. Dorky but entertaining. I still think Donny should still be in there though.

April 2, 2016 @ 1:07 AM

Dean

I loved C-ball and and Caroline in the morning, C-ball doing the beat box with Reyes was awesome. Caroline isn't quite herself since his departure. They should have axed Mr negative Glenn H and James. I wish him and the others that were released all the best

April 5, 2016 @ 10:45 AM

Dean

April 5, 2016 @ 10:45 AM

Sidney

Can't believe you let C-Ball go, I looked forward to his and Caroline's kooky style every morning. They were a great pair together. Caroline now looks lost and with the replacements, it's just not the same. Miss you C-Ball, you were a hoot!!

April 12, 2016 @ 8:54 AM

Rich

It amazes me who still has a job there.....carly agro, caroline cameron......wtf! Theyre all terrible.

April 12, 2016 @ 8:56 AM

Rich

Jeez...i just remembered jackie effin redmond! The worst of the bunch.....take your tight dresses and horrible clichés and go work at le château!
Please take carly agros shoulders with you too. Theres no room for those.

April 12, 2016 @ 9:02 AM

brett

better yet get rid of Scott Moore

April 12, 2016 @ 4:48 PM

Mike

I like Jackie Redmond. She knows more about sports than most of the yahoos here do. Same with Caroline. Hugh was good... Teeth and C-Ball were awful.

However... Chris Johnson and John Shannon lead the way of people that should have gone first. John "bubbles" Shannon is the absolute worst in all of media.

April 13, 2016 @ 8:57 AM

Sharon

We loved C-ball and Carolyn in the morning!! We watched it faithfully EVERY morning as much for the news as for the cooky relationship between James and Carolyn. They were great together! These days....really don't care if we miss it. Now if we do a very quick catch up we then switch to Canada AM. Can't stand Carly Agro yelling at us and Carolyn just seems to have lost her stride now. As for Jackie Redmond.....please! She drives me absolutely crazy! Stop yelling and stop selling the sex.....then maybe we will return. Seems like Sportsnet got rid of experience for newer and cheaper -oh and sexier!

April 14, 2016 @ 6:00 AM

Ron

Agro and Cammeron are both very good and getting better working as a team. However, there was a natural chemistry between C-Ball and Cammeron that made you laugh every morning. I realize every team has a shelf life, but they were just getting going!

April 15, 2016 @ 6:24 AM

Bee Bowes

C ball and Caroline were the best!

April 15, 2016 @ 12:07 PM

Bee Bowes

C ball and Caroline were the best!

April 15, 2016 @ 12:07 PM

Frank L

Was never a C-Ball fan, but when he teamed up with Caroline...it worked for me. They were my go to morning show. Not sure about Agro...time will tell.
It seems that s-net is in competition with the TSN morning girls....don't like that pairing either.....why are all these women yelling!!!
I will probably go back to radio....

April 19, 2016 @ 8:52 AM

Sportsnet sux

Im gonna go back to jabbing my ears and eyes with a fork......waaaaaaay more enjoyable!

April 20, 2016 @ 9:04 AM

Quinnohara

I liked Cameron and C-ball in the morning. Was wondering where the f the two of them have been. Find myself not watching as much without them, although Caroline is back on this week. Rogers really f'd things up getting the big hockey contract. Lost viewers by providing a terrible product, alienating a solid base in order to bring in non existent youth viewers.

April 20, 2016 @ 12:10 PM

Anonymous one

I actually agree with the posters who talk about the hot women.
I am not against it or feel they know nothing, but don't you think it strange tsn has two hot women doing the morning sports, and now SN has two hot women doing morning sports. ( by far the most watched time slot for sports )

i find it odd that the " best four" sportscasters in television are young hot women. with amazing bodies the pendulum has swung far.

i also agree healy should have been bounced long ago and george should go back to his red chairs. he is out of place doing hockey.

April 21, 2016 @ 9:28 AM

Derek

I'm a little late to this topic, but c-ball and Cameron were the best morning twosome since we lost James and Dan from tsn to fox several years back. C-ball and Cameron had captured the younger youth audience (and the adults too), they all talked about them and repeated many of their one liners. Rogers missed it on this one - and sold out for trying to have two women instead of working with the good thing they had.

April 22, 2016 @ 10:24 PM

Grey

Loved watching C-ball and Caroline in the morning. Their chemistry was great . Not so happy with the recent pairings. Caroline looks lost. Don't spend as much time watching now.

April 26, 2016 @ 6:23 AM

Grey

April 26, 2016 @ 6:23 AM

Anonymous

Caroline Cameron is the worst thing going on Sports on any channel. I don't know how she has a job! Unbelievable!

April 26, 2016 @ 6:32 AM

McJanine

They should have given C-ball and Caroline their own sitcom.

April 27, 2016 @ 11:41 PM

Mike R

Since they let Don Taylor go, the show has continually dipped in Entertainment and apparent knowledge and intuition. Same with TSN since Jay and Dan left. Dutchie and Jen are good too but I don't see them much - too late. Sad but they could just roll the scores and highlights with some good tunes backing and I'd enjoy it more. Or even Radio . . .

April 29, 2016 @ 8:19 AM

Huck

I'll miss C-Ball and Caroline. I looked forward to watching those two. Nice job, with my kind of humour.

May 2, 2016 @ 9:04 AM

Mike

James was funny. He almost made Carolyn funny. My teenaged son and I loved watching those two because of him. We watched all the time, but weren't included in assessment of ratings, which is obviously a flawed measure.

Not what a Corporate nightmare like Rogers would need... based on my description (above) alone.

May 3, 2016 @ 9:12 AM

Mike

Sophia really knows her stuff. Too bad she isn't better looking. Good thing she's still there. In the words of Takking Heads.... same as it ever was. Same, as it ever was.

May 3, 2016 @ 9:16 AM

Moose

I have no problem with Kate Beer-ness. She does her homework... but if the decisions are budgetary.... could they let her go and save on a few makeup specialists?

May 3, 2016 @ 9:27 AM

Jeremy

Loose half the hockey anylists starting with kyprios.
Ken Reid is too creepy
Agro is hideous.
Redmond, skank
Cameron, librarian or lab assistant.
C-ball was the best they had.
Something happend behind the scenes.
There's more to the story.

May 4, 2016 @ 11:20 AM

Tony

Kate Beirness and Jackie Redmond have the fake TV smile. I can't have the channel on when either is on.
Even if they were competent, it wasn't even a requirement to get the job.

Ivanka Osmak, Jennifer Hedger and others do a great job so it's not gender.

And Ken Reid has got to go. You're trying way too hard to be hip.

May 5, 2016 @ 6:13 AM

Lorri

I have been away for over a month, so I am late postingbut feel I must say something.
The past week i kept wondering where is c-ball and why is Cameron with Morticia Adams? There is absolutely NO chemistry going on with those two. C-ball and Cameron had great mojo and i listened to them evety morning.
I find Jackie Redmond's voice annoying, nasal and artificial. Rogers you have dropped the ball and if you think these layoffs are a good thing, think again.
Hugh Burril will be missed. C-ball will be missed.
And if you want to get back on the map with hockey coverage, get rid of Gramenopolous (spelling?). I mean really ! He is NOT a sports guy! He does a great job interviewing celebs, but not sports.

June 5, 2016 @ 9:56 AM

CJ

Lot of haters out there...I watched c ball and carolyn and it was passable but cameron had this superiority complex which overshadowed skinny little jimmy - I think see ball's undoing was one show where he took umbrage with cameron's attitude on one segment and she shot back a nasty unwarranted crack that was personal - and uncomfortable on air - c ball was reeling and he said to her live on air "I bet you were a mean girl in High School" - Carolyn was not amused and the air was thick with tension - she vehemently denied the accusation and the rest of the show was television uncomfortable at its worst/best - c ball was hurt and cameron looked like a bully - he was gone shortly thereafter - coinky dink - methinks not... the tennis beyotch most likely railed against c balls mean girl rant and skinny jimmy was given the heave from the ho - at the end of the day sex over funny all day long

June 9, 2016 @ 6:26 PM

Jim Bo Jones

Cybulski sucked, good riddance.

Carly, Caroline, Evanka are smoking hot. I don't care if they know what their talking about or not, I just want scores and hot chicks. I'm not watching a highlight show for their opinions, I just want the goddamn scores.

Nice work sportsnet, keep it up.

June 16, 2016 @ 10:33 PM

Anonymous

Jackie Redmond is the worst person on Tv in the history of TV. Cybulski was the man.

June 19, 2016 @ 2:17 AM

Anonymous

Jackie Redmond is so awful I may have to quit sporstnet

June 19, 2016 @ 8:53 PM

Al

Get rid of Freedman. He has to be the worst ever. Then the bright minds send him to Rio where he was even worse. I didn't think that was possible.

September 11, 2016 @ 8:05 PM

Anonymous

Jackie Redmond should be hosting kids TV. She sounds like she's talking down to idiots.

September 13, 2016 @ 10:34 PM

Anonymous

I find Jackie Redmond to be the worst sportscaster on any of the Canadian TV channels. Nasally condescending disingenuous tone, sounding like she's talking down to 10 year old boys.

December 17, 2016 @ 7:30 PM

Maybe you'll change your mind about Jackie Redmond if you listen to this: http://www.torontomike.com/2016/08/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_187.html

December 17, 2016 @ 7:31 PM

Anonymous

Sorry Mike. Wouldn't subject myself to listening to her of my own free will. Wish Sportsnet would stop having her pop up on my screen without warning. She's the worst and unfortunately sportsnet has forced a large enough sample size down my throat that nothing could change my mind.

February 1, 2017 @ 2:48 AM

Ken U. Barrett

john shannon is an insult to all the professionals in the media.

March 8, 2017 @ 2:14 PM

C

The Argos should give Agro a tryout at linebacker.

March 18, 2017 @ 9:09 PM

To the person who left a dozen or so comments on this entry last night:

If you comment as "toronto mike", you comment will be deleted. This is a black and white rule.

I also don't want one person posting multiple comments under several different names. Please pick one unique handle and post all comments under that handle.

March 22, 2017 @ 8:11 AM

Beatts

I call shenanigans ^^^

No way anyone from Montreal would say someone from Toronto did anything great....

;)

If someone called Vancouver Mike shows up praising your abilities then we definitely know you're being hoodwinked.

March 22, 2017 @ 2:37 PM