Mike Cooper Retiring from 98.1 CHFI

I used to listen to Mike Cooper on 680 CFTR. I'm too young to remember the heydays of CHUM. Legend has it the man rode a ferris wheel at the CNE for 21 days. This past decade, Coop has co-hosted with Erin Davis, first at EZ Rock and then at CHFI. Regardless of your age, you likely remember Mike Cooper on Toronto radio.

Coop is signing off as co-host of 98.1 CHFI’s Erin and Mike in the Morning on January 29, 2016. Here's why, in his own words.

I’ve taken care of millions of people over the years and now it’s time to take care of one – my beloved wife and childhood sweetheart Debbie. It’s been an honour to be a part of the Rogers family at CHFI working alongside my dear friend Erin Davis for the past 10 years.

Coop will be missed, but who will take his coveted spot alongside Erin Davis? Darren B. Lamb recently left the CHUM-FM morning show and promised he's resurface soon. This could very well be that. Erin and Darren has a nice ring to it. And of course Maddog recently showed up on-air at CHFI for the New Year's Eve show. He's a long-time Toronto morning man without a home.

Speculate with me and share your Coop stories below. Meanwhile, here's some classic Cooper from his CFTR days. I'm hoping to get him on Toronto Mike'd for a proper send-off!

Update: It will indeed be Darren B. Lamb replacing Mike Cooper on the new Erin & Darren In The Morning on 98.1 CHFI.

Sarah

A real Toronto radio legend. I'll miss him in the morning, but he's staying on and keeping the Saturday evening classics shift.

January 8, 2016 @ 8:18 AM

Cheryl

I met Mike Cooper once just out of the blue. Before I had a personal trainer coming to my place, I did join a gym for a bit. I was on my way up the stairs to the gym, and a guy came up to me telling me he was Mike Cooper. He helped me up the stairs and helped me find the person I was working out with so he was really nice and I was shocked that I met him.

January 8, 2016 @ 8:40 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Man that brings back memories, I listened to CFTR every morning. Mostly Tom Rivers and Jesse & Gene, but I do remember Mike Cooper's voice as well.

Man some of that music was cheezy and I loved every second of it! listening to Cooper hit the post on the Billy Oceam song, really shows a) how good these guys were and they were allowed to show their personalities 2. how many times they must have heard that song.

January 8, 2016 @ 8:56 AM

Sam in Pickering

I would love to hear Mike Cooper on Toronto Mike'd. Do it, Mike!

January 8, 2016 @ 9:06 AM

Trish

Mike! You will be missed! I have loved listening to you over the years! Yes we are the same age so I have known you (kinda!) for seems to be forever! I wish you nothing but the best! This is everyone's loss however; you are blessed to be able to take care of Debbie! I can relate in a bit of a different way because I have been my 90 year anniversary of Fathers caregiver for the past 2 years (never thought he would still be here) and it's difficult to juggle sometimes but I wouldn't have it any other way! When my husband and I split 3 years ago I did not know if I would fall or fly. One day it hit me, that door had to close to allow another to open! It has given me the opportunity to give my Dad daily support! My heart goes out to you and your family! Never give up! Stay strong! I write this through tears! Who knew you would have touched someone so deeply! Best Wishes always! Sometimes it love that has us devote ourselves to someone and this is easier for me to say than do however; don't not forget to take care of you too!! xxoo

January 8, 2016 @ 9:26 AM

Kim

Mike Cooper has been a part of my mornings for over 25 years and I will miss his voice helping me to get a move on. One of the funniest things he did was the contest to figure out the song that he played using power tools. I don't even remember what station that was; I just used to track him down and listen. He deserves his time with his wife and I hope they continue their love story for a long time!

January 8, 2016 @ 10:49 AM

Derek

Get ready for Erin and Darren in the Morning! It's coming.

January 8, 2016 @ 11:14 AM

the brother

Will miss Coop, grew up listening to the 5:10 Stupid Joke Of The Day (with Russ & Double D) when getting a ride home from school or racing home to catch it on the radio in our kitchen. Coop's sendoff parallels Don Daynard's when he too stuck around to voicetrack Saturday nights.

I recall Darren tweeting that he had a gig lined up for the new year so it makes sense but anything could happen. Could we have Erin-Jay-and-Darren on CHFI? Rogers could probably afford it! Regardless, the shake-up will likely impact things at stalwart 104.5.

January 8, 2016 @ 1:54 PM

@the brother

There's no way CHFI tinkers with a successful formula. They'll give Erin one co-host she has chemistry with and likes. If it's not Darren or Jay, it might be me...

January 8, 2016 @ 1:58 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I remember Coop doing the Ferris Wheel bit, probably early to mid 70's, too lazy to Google it. Nice to see someone have a good long career in Radio, given the precarious nature of late.
Darren might fit the bill, he is quick, and entertaining also.

January 8, 2016 @ 2:22 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@The Brother: What are you up to these days? Any plans on coming back to Toronto?

January 8, 2016 @ 3:44 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

I don't believe 'the brother' is Neil Morrison a.k.a. Brother Bill.

January 8, 2016 @ 3:51 PM

Johninoakville

I don't think Darren B Lamb would have left a great job at CHUM FM for anything less than working with Erin at CHFI. Interesting though that Maddog did a new year eve show on CHFI perhaps there is another role for him at the station.

January 8, 2016 @ 4:39 PM

Cheryl

Well, I didn't listen to Mike Cooper much, but it really was a surprise to meet him just out of the blue. Sure hope he has a good retirement.

January 9, 2016 @ 7:28 AM

Jim

I do remember the days of Mike Cooper on CHUM and the ferris wheel record...and on the covers of the CHUM Chart. Those were the (radio) days! Just not sure if its Mike or Roger who is the "dean" of radio, i.e., who started first. CHFI gets Goofy. Goofy as in DBL. The funny thing is after Darrilyn (Darren and Marilyn), its will be DarrErin or DarrErilyn all over again. Personally I don't think DBL fit in well with the CHUM-FM morning show ("two's company, three's a crowd"). He was the 3rd cog, relegated to the entertainment reporter role and a fill in for Roger. His talents are best utilized on his own show, He may fit in better at CHFI but whether Erin and Darren can maintain CHFI's #1 overall position is the key question.

January 9, 2016 @ 11:13 AM

Rick

I think one of my best Mike Cooper moments was one night on Mike Coopers 7 o'clock ticket wicket. Mike had asked the young lady caller two of three skill testing questions. One question to go and she would win tickets to the what ever concert was hot at that moment. The last question... what is the fastest way to a mans heart. The young woman thought for a moment and replied well I've heard it's through his stomach but I've found a faster way. Mike was taken aback for a moment not sure what to say but finally. "congratulations you've won" was about all he could get out! Thanks for the memories Mike! I will miss your voice in the mornings!

January 9, 2016 @ 3:56 PM

Neal

I did see a tweet the other day confirming that Darren Lamb was going to be Erin Davis's new co-host. The Erin and Darren Show.

January 9, 2016 @ 8:42 PM

jai

I believe Mike Cooper's Best days were at CFTR 680 he was sharp funny but very entertaining.
One of the finest DJs when TOP 40 Radio ruled the airwaves. AnticIpated the stupid jokes of the day
The Line up at CFTR Jim Brady- Robert Holliday news..John Hinnen sports- Evelyn Maco- Paul Godfrey
Tom Rivers--Bill Hayes..Red Knight even Duke Roberts-- just some of the radio legends at CFTR.
Not forgetting Mike' Technical producer can't remember his name but those were days there were
radio carts/ for the songs and sound effects...

January 9, 2016 @ 8:53 PM

Faunie

Hard to remember a time when I wasn't listening to Mike Cooper.
I recall being at the dentist and CHFI was on. That was the beginning of the best (in my opinion) pairing of two radio personalities.
One of my favourite memories was when Mikes' daughter wanted to get a tattoo so Mike offered to get one as well and let us listeners hear the process on air!
Really going to miss Erin and Mike in the morning. However so happy for him that he has made this decision. Hope that he and his wife enjoy many, many years of peace and relaxation and quality time together.
Really looking forward to hearing him on Toronto Mike'd!

January 9, 2016 @ 9:26 PM

pat ransom

Man Mike, I am so going to miss you! I have followed you from CFTR, to CKPT, to Easy Rock, and now CHFI. I truly love you, and wish you and Debbie all the best in your retirement. PLEASE, come back if you are bored! I can't imagine what my life will be like without you.

January 22, 2016 @ 8:22 AM

Susan - Hamilton

Hi Mike, congrats on your retirement to spend time with your lovely, Debbie. All the very best!
I will certainly miss you, your dulcet tones and jokes. I've been a fan many years and I enjoyed the Saturday dances so very much.
How about - Mikes morning joke of the day for us on CHFI?
Enjoy your retirement.

January 28, 2016 @ 10:40 AM

Susie Ramagnano

Well Mike you archived a goal that most of us wish for .... To make it to retirement !

As we all know like birthdays , the dream of reaching retirement is not a promiseuout but a privilagewell .... Congratulations you made it !

How do we say farewell to someone who inspired everyone who listened to the show to make the best of their day evey day as you did !

Waking up every morning to the funny , and at times outright hilarious conversation between you , Erin and the general too was like when you take that first sip of your morning coffee ... Ahhh!

I'm sure your listens would agree with me in saying that your concistant energy and gueine love for all your fans , helped everyone make the best of their day every day !

No matter what the issues were that day that I had to deal with , listening to your moring show always helped me put the day in perspective and take the day on with a positive spin ...

Your witty humour and your genuine gratitude to all your listners was what we loved about you the most and you'll be forever missed :(

Enjoy the rest of your life and the new chapter your now beginning ... Be well and always know that we will ALWAYS LOVE YOU BYE BYE !

I'll miss you lots ... Cheers

Susie Ramagnano

January 29, 2016 @ 12:59 AM

Congratulations to Darren B. Lamb who is replacing Mike Cooper on the 98.1 CHFI morning show. I'm sure the new name will be The Erin and Darren Morning Show.

January 29, 2016 @ 6:07 AM

Anne Cox

Dear Mike,
Just wanted to send my love and best wishes for a very healthy and happy retirement. You will certainly be missed! You are loved and appreciated like no other! Enjoy your days ahead with your beautiful Debbie!
Thank you from the bottom of my heart. All the best! Xo
Anne

January 29, 2016 @ 7:11 AM

Dianne

Thanks for 45 years of music and jokes. I reflect on those years at CHUM and CFTR listening to those rock classics, then again on CHFI. Have a great retirement and enjoy building more memories with Debbie. You will be missed.

January 29, 2016 @ 8:02 AM

Anonymous

Oh Mike, I'm happy for you, but so sad for
Erin it's going to.be real tough on her with the passing of Lauren stay close .
Take good care of yourself & Debbie
Love you your admiring fan
Loretta

January 29, 2016 @ 6:08 PM

Rose

Dear Mike
I wish you and Debbie all the best life has to offer. You and Erin have filed my long morning drive with joy and interest for years. You so deserve the time you now have to live life to its fullest doing exactly what you want when you want!

Erin deserves someone who is capable of filling big shoes and I am betting that Darrn B. Lamb fits that bill perfectly. He is bright, witty, hilarious and I think will tickle Erin's funny bone perfectly. I miss him so much and now will miss you so I hope CHFI will consider Darren as her co- host.

Have a wonderful retirement Mike and have fun!

January 29, 2016 @ 9:47 PM

Jack

So sad to hear Mike has left Erin and Mike in the morning. Best morning show. Although retirement is good and definitely yours for the right reasons. Wishing you and Debbie all the best for recovery. You will be missed, you are one of the top morning host along with Erin. Toronto will miss you.
Happy retirement..

February 12, 2016 @ 1:51 PM

Terri

I first started listening to Mike while at McMaster in the early 70's. He was the afternoon man at 3pm. God, can't even remember the station but really enjoyed listening to him. Followed him to all his other stations, went to Sandals Whitehouse with Erin and Mike and had him sign my 2 stooped joke of the day books!! What a blast. Enjoy retirement Mike and Debbie. I'm not far behind. Maybe we'll me again in Europe.

February 13, 2016 @ 7:44 PM