Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 150: David Shoalts and Mark Hebscher

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 150In this 150th episode, Mike chats with Globe and Mail writer David Shoalts about Canada's sports media, particularly Prime Time Sports with Bob McCown, Dean Blundell vs. Mike Richards, perceived bias and Rogers Hockey. Mark Hebscher crashes the party to tell the inside story of what happened at CHCH last Friday. This episode is exactly 1:40:58.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

2015-12-15_12-16-53

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Al The Royal Pain

Just sitting down to listen to it now. I just wanted to say I liked the little thing you did at the beginning before the music started.

December 15, 2015 @ 2:38 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

You're the second person to tell me they dug that. I started recording, that part of our pre-taping convo was caught on the recording, so I decided to leave it in because it king of sounds authentic and cool.

December 15, 2015 @ 2:45 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Something weird happened while listening to this one. It shows as being 1:40 in length, but it cut off well before that. I was listening in my browser on Feedly when it happened. I remember you mentioning an issue with your podcasts playing in Chrome, so I downloaded into Beyond Pod on my phone to listen to the rest of it and again, it stops well before the end.

December 15, 2015 @ 4:50 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

Between 4:30 and 5 I did something dumb.

The file should be fine now.

December 15, 2015 @ 6:26 PM

Wally

Great podcast! Great episode!

Lurked for a while and commented rarely but thought this was great. Love pointing the camera back towards the media and having a serious discussion about them,

Agree with your take on the Argos. Taking a real gamble moving the team to BMO in an attempt to get a younger audience to watch. Personal feeling is that most young football fans watch the NFL vs Argos. The older generation had way fewer football options to watch on TV (or listen on radio) so it makes sense that the Argos are their team but in a day and age with 500 channels and online streaming, I don't see the Argos being relevant to the younger crowd.

December 15, 2015 @ 6:53 PM

Greg

Both guests were great. Fantastic episode.

This is the best podcast in the city.

December 15, 2015 @ 7:00 PM

Justin

I think we're going to have to come up with a term for every time Mike drops an exciting podcast on his homepage. It's happened tons lately with Millman, Toth, Madani, and others. Can't wait to give this one a listen.

#TorontoMikePodcastBomb is lengthy but might do the trick.

December 15, 2015 @ 8:02 PM

Jody Thornton

We could say that the podcast episode is a real "Boon", no?

December 15, 2015 @ 8:59 PM

Jody Thornton

@Justin:

How about a Boon-Bomb, or a Boon-Blast (er, I'll keep my day job)

December 15, 2015 @ 9:00 PM

Aaron

Hebsy will get scooped up quick. He's great.

December 15, 2015 @ 10:09 PM

markosaar

@Greg,

Seriously. can't think of another contender.

December 16, 2015 @ 12:46 AM

Argie

TSN TV and/or radio is crazy if they don't scoop up Hebscher. Knowledge, credibility and popularity are all there.

Also, great episode, Mike.

December 16, 2015 @ 8:19 AM

If anyone is curious how Hebscher just shows up at the 40 minute mark of Shoalts's episode, here's how it came together....

David Shoalts and I scheduled his episode weeks ago. We had been chatting on the phone, and I was really looking forward to meeting him and talking about Canada's sports media.

Then, the CHCH implosion happened on Friday. Hebsy tweeted that he could now be my co-host. This resulted in a series of DMs between us in which he asked if he could record an episode with me early Tuesday morning.

I told Hebsy I was booked with Shoalts. I don't bump guests... If Howard Stern himself wanted to record at the time I was booked with Shoalts, Stern would be out of luck. But, I did want the inside story of what transpired at CHCH by one of my favourite story tellers.

So I pitched a compromise to Hebsy. I would leave the door unlocked, and if he wanted to show up 30-40 minutes into my one-on-one with Shoalts, he could let himself in, come down the stairs and sit at the third mic. He knows the drill, he's been in twice already.

But I didn't tell Shoalts, because there was always a chance he wouldn't come by. So I recorded with Shoalts as if it was going to just be him, but 40 minutes in, I heard footsteps upstairs.

I was either being robbed, or being visited by Mark Hebscher. Luckily, it was the latter. Mark came downstairs, sat at the mic, and Shoalts was a pro. We finished our chat about Blundell vs. Richards, and I introduced a segue by asking him if Hebsy would be a good morning man on one of those stations. The rest, is history.

It was awesome. It reminded me why I love this little passion project. I just hope others find it as interesting as I do.

P.s. After the recording, the three of us had a fantastic convo I wish I had recorded. Then, when they went to their cars, they continued the chat for another 30 minutes. Here they are...

December 16, 2015 @ 10:05 AM

Argie

@Mike
It was very "Johnny Carson" like where Sinatra is on and suddenly Dean Martin shows up (drink and smoke in hand) to surprise Old Blue Eyes. Classic! No, I'm not that old.

December 16, 2015 @ 10:24 AM

Derek

Happy to report that the other half of my brain has grown back!

December 16, 2015 @ 10:43 AM

@Derek

Haha.. I thought of you during that segment. I wondered if you'd hear it.

On that note, get your ass over here to set the record straight!

December 16, 2015 @ 10:47 AM

@ Broni

@ Mike
That is a tremendous story and I love how organic it all unfolded. Glad you shared that behind the scenes intel.

@ Argie
I too am not that old but there is great video on YouTube of Don Rickles dropping in on Frank Sinatra during a Johnny Carson interview and it is pure gold.

December 16, 2015 @ 11:56 AM

aizzy

Great interview love all you podcasts. Should have asked Shoalts about Howard Bergers article from this summer ripping him.

December 16, 2015 @ 12:44 PM

Brian Gerstein

Out of the 150 podcasts I estimate I have listened to maybe 15% of them, mostly with sports and media personalities. This podcast to me was more than worthy of being #150, as it really flew by, similar to how I tweeted out this morning how I felt like Brunt used to feel with a motivated and engaged Bob McCown on PTS, which sadly is no more, at least for now until they kiss and make up, which could be a while.

When I have free time I will check the archives out and see what I missed, although so much time has passed some of them will have lost their relevance in terms of real world happenings.

Love the backstory you posted here around it.

If there is any common sense at all Hebsy would be int he process of reviewing multiple job offers, as he is going to be sorely missed if he is not snapped up. Yes, he blogs, and I am Facebook friends with him, but I want more Hebsy!

When I first moved to Toronto in '89, it was Hebsy and Tatti who were my primary source for sports highlights and awesome humour to go along with it. I will always have a soft spot for Hebsy, and wish him the best going ahead.

December 16, 2015 @ 1:01 PM

Jody Thornton

Just seeing if my can make my email address active on forum posts. My name was hyper-linked before. :(

December 16, 2015 @ 2:46 PM

Jody Thornton

That's better. Mike can you delete my two test posts?

December 16, 2015 @ 2:47 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I finally got to listen to the rest of the podcast and I think this episode was your best one yet!

December 16, 2015 @ 3:15 PM

dale

Your best podcast so far MIke. Very informative in may aspects with both David & Mark.
Mark hopefully will be scooped up quickly as a great sportscaster.

@ Jody - awesome article about Mark's day.

December 16, 2015 @ 6:05 PM

Neal

Mike...this is another outstanding episode. Very informative!

Here's hoping Hebsy resurfaces soon. Would be a great addition to any morning show. Alternatively, maybe he is Bob's successor on PTS?

December 16, 2015 @ 8:28 PM

Anon&on

Nice- that was pretty close to a PTS roundtable. Can you commit to 40 weeks?
Is Hebsy friendly with Toth? I'd listen to that show.

December 16, 2015 @ 9:51 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Hey Mike. Preempted my H&F podcast, for episode 150 seeing all the comments and have to agree probably your best yet. Nicely done and good on Shoals for running with it like a pro.
You know Lowest of the Low us going to be on H&F shortly, I know you like them, just not sure if you had listened to H&F recently.
I will sin
Be up for your Patreon as I do enjoy your work, and I support Cross and Hainsworths G&B podcast.

December 17, 2015 @ 2:16 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

Thanks!

Stephen Stanley, founding member of Lowest of the Low, is coming on Toronto Mike'd in early 2016. I've got a million Shakespeare My Butt questions for him...

December 17, 2015 @ 2:18 PM

@Jody Thornton

But I like the authenticity of your multiple comments!

December 17, 2015 @ 4:28 PM

Ithaca Dan

Great show. Fun to have more than one guest. I thought using audacity worked really well. Will you continue to use it?

December 17, 2015 @ 4:41 PM

@Ithaca Dan

Yes, I'll be using Audacity for episode 151 next week, and possibly for every episode after. It was easy to use and just worked.

One idea I'm flirting with is having Hebsy drop in on every episode I record. Basically, he sneaks in at the 40 minute mark, regardless of who I'm talking to.

December 17, 2015 @ 4:49 PM

Jody Thornton

Oh by all means ... lol - completely up to you.

December 18, 2015 @ 12:38 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Great podcast!

December 19, 2015 @ 9:31 AM

Cassie Cloutier

Love the show Mark has always been a pro been listening to him for years. Will watch what happens.
be surprised
He has knowledge no other has thanks Mike for your expertise as well.☺

December 19, 2015 @ 10:06 PM