Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 132: Josie Dye

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 132In this 132nd episode, Mike chats with 102.1 the Edge host Josie Dye about her years on the air, her butchering of O Canada, her relationships with Martin Streek and Dean Blundell and why Diamond and Dye didn't work. Also, intense air is cleared. This episode is exactly 1:04:27.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Declan

Compelling and riveting radio. Kudos to you both.

August 11, 2015 @ 9:17 PM

matt

Great episode, really enjoyed it.

Tense but in a good way. Passionate discussion which always makes for an interesting discussion.

If I understood correctly Mike, congratulations are in order?

August 11, 2015 @ 9:59 PM

@matt

Did I forget to edit that part out?

Thanks!

August 11, 2015 @ 10:08 PM

I'm removing a chunk of this podcast later today, so the version you hear right now will contain more than the version you'll hear later. Consider yourselves warned!

August 12, 2015 @ 8:58 AM

Douglas

I've been on the fence for ages about liking/listening to Josie Dye. Sometimes her voice gets too high and/or nasally for my taste, but I generally find her countdown shows interesting and enjoyable. Considering the comments above, I've downloaded the original file for listening to later at a time when I can concentrate enough to hear and appreciate the discussion. And, erm...congratulations, Mike! (?)

August 12, 2015 @ 10:11 AM

If the length of your episode is 1:04:27, you have the edited version. Really you're only missing more of Josie's O Canada from the Rock game. You can see / hear the whole mess here:

August 12, 2015 @ 10:14 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Ooh, glad I downloaded the original yesterday.

Congrats Mike!

August 12, 2015 @ 10:28 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Meant to ask, Mike, how often do you edit podcasts?

August 12, 2015 @ 10:29 AM

@Jason from Sudbury

I almost never edit podcasts. It's all "live to tape" and I just compress the file, convert it to MP3 and upload.

Once in a blue moon, I'll be asked to edit something out. Josie called me this morning and said she loves the interview but cringes at the O Canada part. Not talking about it, but me playing it. So I agreed to trim O Canada down from a minute to 5 seconds or so.

August 12, 2015 @ 10:32 AM

Argie

Josie's performance at the Rock game is great - provided you kill the sound.

August 12, 2015 @ 10:58 AM

Anon&on

Not only did you get Breaking News out of of Josie, you got Breaking News out of T.O. Mike!
I agree with the edit, thought it was a bit of cruel overkill to play the whole thing. I skipped over the clip. She's been grilled about it endlessly I'm sure, and I appreciate the way she tackles it head on.

Within the first few minutes, I was struck by some kind of vocal similarity Josie has to Jeff Marek. I don't know if it is enunciation, inflection, or an affectation, or what, but I hear something. I knew about the connection, maybe that was in the back of my mind. I've never noticed it in her on air presentation.

Mike, I thought you might mention Patreon. Will you be talking about that in an upcoming episode, or posting something?

August 12, 2015 @ 6:32 PM

markosaar

Based on matt's comment I thought this would be uncomfortable. I didn't think it was tense at all. She came across as genuine and her personality came through and was infectious. Somehow have never really heard her on the airwaves -- but I left Toronto for six years in 2001, and when I returned I'd moved on from radio.

Also impressed she earnestly called out Mike a bit (re: 102.1 obsession) who had to eat a bit of crow :)

Didn't think any of it was terribly awkward, and it seemed friendly and respectful the entire way through.

August 12, 2015 @ 6:40 PM

@Anon&on

I meant to mention Patreon. I plan to write about it and make some noise about it after Labour Day when everyone is paying attention again.

My pledge page is here if there are any early adopters out there willing to support the show: https://www.patreon.com/torontomike

I never did play the entire O Canada. I played half of it originally, and was happy to whittle that down to 5 seconds when Josie asked me to.

August 12, 2015 @ 6:43 PM

@markosaar

I deserved everything she threw at me. 2009 was a fucked up year for me and Corus, but that was six years ago now. I'm glad we could clear the air.

August 12, 2015 @ 6:45 PM

Sam in Pickering

Nothing awkward about this one, just good back and forth banter. Lots of revelations in this one! Congrats!!!

August 12, 2015 @ 6:50 PM

GUNTer

this is the second podcast of torontomike I have listened to.
I wanted to change my opinion on Josie but I didn't.
I wonder if your guests get annoyed when you ask them a lot of questions about other people?
and, yes, the name dropping is embarrassing.

August 12, 2015 @ 7:36 PM

Tdotter

I'm okay with the cross promotions... I actually find it amazing that most times a name comes up naturally it's a former guest. Impressive really.

And I hope Fearless Fred does the pod and buries the hatchet.

August 12, 2015 @ 8:03 PM

Jillian

There's nothing wrong with Mike mentioning names who have been on previous podcasts. It's a way to promote and encourage new listeners to listen to older podcasts.

But when you ask about "other people' it's easy to predict what your guests will say. If they have nothing to lose by telling the truth (ex. Jason Barr/Todd Shapiro) you'll get the truth. But if they're trying to be politically correct or trying to get a job in broadcasting (Billie/Josie/MadDog/Dani Stover) their answer is complete BS.

I enjoyed listening to this podcast but still find Josie Dye's voice sooo irritating!

August 12, 2015 @ 8:16 PM

TMZ

Did you ask her why every single photo of her is photoshopped? Perhaps it's not only the pictures which are a lie but the person too.

August 12, 2015 @ 10:29 PM

Mookie

Great job, Mike. And Josie seems to be a nice person. But I would still bet the Eye Mag story Dean wrote is about her. For sure...

August 13, 2015 @ 1:59 AM

McNulty

I am a little torn on this one.

Josie seemed too effusive about everyone and everything. But I understand she wants to keep her job and that makes perfect sense. I just didn’t find it every compelling like previous interviews. On the other side, I thought you played the song too long. She was clearly uncomfortable and surprised that you were playing it. Bringing it up is fine but once she asked to not hear it you kept playing it told her it wasn’t that bad. It just seemed a little too much.

Also, don’t use Wikipedia as a research tool! Her page has been clearly edited to make her look bad. Which just proves the internet is full of assholes.

August 13, 2015 @ 10:05 AM

@McNulty

If I read something interesting about Josie Dye on Wikipedia, I have to ask her about it. The nice thing about talking directly to someone is that you can hear whether something is true or not, directly from the source.

August 13, 2015 @ 11:17 AM

Handsome Rob

Name dropping takes a fine balance, but it helps. This episode reminded me to go listen to Staffords. I thought both were great. The oh canada part was too much. Turned the sound down until it was over. Liked her take on it, and interesting to hear how quickly it all came together.

August 13, 2015 @ 1:25 PM

Liz

Waaaaay behind on my pods - looking forward to this one later today - early tomorrow. Pretty interesting comments, I have to say.

August 13, 2015 @ 3:59 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Like Liz, I just had a chance to binge listen on my drive down from Sudbury. Very good back and forth, and I think Josie let it be known that you are well known around Corus's offices as a person non grata, and that you are obsessed with 102.1, not a criticism, your just a passionate fan.

August 14, 2015 @ 2:59 PM

Steve

Isn't it a little weird to be asking for money when you've been doing the pod on your own time for free for so long? You usually see this with startups.

August 17, 2015 @ 12:02 PM

Raffi

I'd love to hear Greg Beharell on the podcast, and Dominic Diamond afterwards; they were funny.

December 4, 2015 @ 5:47 PM