11 Crazy Days

On my daughter's birthday, the Blue Jays were 8 games back of the New York Yankees in the American League East. We were just hoping for run at a wild card spot.

Fast forward to today and our Jays are only 1.5 games back of the Yanks. We've won eight in row and 11 of our past 12 outings, making up 6.5 games. Nobody is thinking wildcard.

So how much time are we talking here? How many days ago did my daughter turn 11? It was only 11 days ago!

11 crazy days... And this time, it doesn't feel like a mirage. With Tulowitzki and Price, this feels like the real deal.

jays

Bonus factoids from the sweep of the Yankees:

• Justin Smoak's grand slam on Saturday was the first Jays grand slam in New York against the Yankees, ever
  • These back-to-back shutouts mark the first time the Yankees have been shutout back-to-back this century
  • The only run we allowed during this three-game series shouldn't have counted. What a bullshit call that was.

andrew

Yankees 1st back to back shutouts this decade 200's, not century.
Go Jays Go

August 9, 2015 @ 7:18 PM

@andrew

Ummmm, you do know the 90s was last century, right?

August 9, 2015 @ 7:21 PM

andrew

@ Mike

I'm lost IN A CENTURY as per Gord Downie. Time flies too fast.

August 9, 2015 @ 8:14 PM

fourteen

I missed it, what was the BS call? How did the run come about?

August 9, 2015 @ 8:29 PM

@fourteen

Teixeira hit a ball to the warning track that was interfered with by a fan. It was ruled a double, but then the review officials changed it to a homer.

Terrible call, IMHO.

August 9, 2015 @ 8:37 PM

Cambo

It was a terrible call. Even if the fan didn't interfere, the ball didn't actually clear the wall, yet somehow the umpires determined that was a home run.

August 9, 2015 @ 9:33 PM

Mel Preston

It seems the Jays have been hit with a few bullshit calls. Not only the home run, but the Sanchez suspension, strange strike zone calls and Gibby being tossed for no real reason. Yet they keep on winning! Good sign. Definitely a cool buzz throughout the city.

Go Jays!

August 10, 2015 @ 9:29 AM

Army

I mute the television and listen on radio as I can't stand Tabler (Captain Obvious as someone aptly called him.) and Bucky. However, I happened to watch "Jays in 30" yesterday, and Captain Obvious struck again!
At some point, Colabello gets drilled in the arm. The Captain's comment: "He's got that elbow pad on to protect the bone in the elbow." WTF????? Really? I thought it might protect his balls!!! What an a-hole.

August 10, 2015 @ 11:54 AM

Alvin

It's an exciting time but I still keep waiting for the bottom to fall out. I'm still enjoying the ride.

I actually think the home run call was right. The fan caused the ball to change direction so without the interference, it would have cleared.

They mentioned on PTS that the 3-game suspension is likely an automatic thing after getting tossed for intentionally hitting a batter. Not sure the accuracy of that.

August 10, 2015 @ 4:23 PM

fourteen

Mel Preston, remember the triple play that didn't get called?!

August 10, 2015 @ 4:31 PM

@Alvin

They must have had replays unavailable to Sportsnet. I watched Sportsnets angles in slow mo several times and couldn't see any indication the fan caused the ball to change direction.

August 10, 2015 @ 4:49 PM

Alvin

When I watched it live, it looked like the fan changed the trajectory of the ball. I watched again yesterday and didn't see the same. I guess it didn't matter in the end though would have been nice to have a 3 game shutout.

August 11, 2015 @ 10:50 AM