The Best Headphones I've Ever Owned

You shouldn't wear headphones while you bike. At least that's what I tell my kids. The fact is, when I'm biking alone, I always wear headphones.

I used to wear the buds that come with your smartphone. Then, for my recent birthday in June, my wife surprised me with a pair of Plantronics BackBeat FIT wireless stereo headphones. They're incredible.

20150715_083548-1

Firstly, they're wireless. This is awfully convenient. They connect to my phone via Bluetooth and I can bike a full week before needing to charge them. And charging them is as simple as plugging them into my laptop's USB port for a couple of hours.

And they're not noise-cancelling headphones, so all the ambient noise like bells and honks and cars and people talking still get heard. This also makes them the safest headphones I've ever owned.

On top of sounding great, it also has a microphone so I can answer calls by simply pressing the button over my right ear. There are plenty of convenient controls on this thing.

And most importantly, it's designed for workouts, so it never falls out and is water resistant. I often forget I'm wearing it.

20150715_083530-1

My wife tells me she bought it online for $120 CAD. If you wear headphones while you bike and/or run, it's worth every penny.

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

Thanks for the tip. I do need wireless earbuds. Not for cycling. For sleeping.

See, typically when I go to bed I'm still a bit wired from the day (no pun intended). So, to help me temporarily shuffle off this mortal coil, I'll listen to one of those old-timey horror based radio shows, along the lines of Orson Welles' War of The Worlds, or Lights Out or Strange Tales. My mind focuses on the show and not everyday stressors so I usually fall asleep quickly.

Therein lies the problem. Throughout the night, I'll typically move or turn on my side back and forth a couple of times, and often I've woken up with wires wrapped around my face which is great fun. Or I'll have a dream someone's sticking a gun in my back, where in reality the earbud's lodged itself under me.

The one thing I'll need to ensure though is that they're good at keeping the sound isolated (when in my ears at least) - cheaper earbuds allow it to escape which wakes up my wife. And when I wake up my wife, she beats me mercilessly.

July 15, 2015 @ 9:05 AM

Mrmojorisinca

I suppose you also say "Do as I say not do as I do" since I'm sure your kids will read your blog from time to time :)

I do need a pair of buds to use when running though..

July 15, 2015 @ 1:04 PM

markosaar

I generally don't wear headphones on the roads (sometimes for very quick jaunts where it's more hassle to take them off/stop whatever's playing), just trails. I agree that I can still hear all the traffic noise and horns/bells/sirens around me, but I hate the perception that I'm being irresponsible. The last thing I want is to finally get into an accident and have it blamed on me because I was wearing headphones.

I mean, look at this ignorant shit, as an example: https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/3dckm8/if_you_get_hit_by_a_car_on_a_bike/

Duly noted though. I haaaaaaaaaaaaate cords. They're the #1 reason my headphones get wrecked. The cord gets caught on a door handle or something and they get ripped off my head.

July 16, 2015 @ 8:18 AM

James Edgar

Those look great. too big for me though :(

I need earphones for riding my Motorcycle. Like you some would say "earphones on a bike are Bad!" but I can still hear well enough and on my bike I'm scanning my mirrors every few seconds anyway. In fact i can hear as well or better on my bike with music playing than i can in the car with the AC on windows up and music playing.

Wireless ones would be awesome , my biggest issue is the ear buds being pulled out of my ears. by me accidentally pulling on the cable. and with big leather gloves and the wind etc that's really easy to do. And of course with a full face helmet it's impossible to put them back on unless you stop and take the helmet off.

i have to be honest I've never even looked for wireless ear-buds before today. It appears that Best Buy has lots and quite a few are small enough for my helmet. No budget at the moment but I'm going to follow up and see if i can't get a pair soon. Bluetooth might work with my GPS too if i was crazy enough to want to listen to it. :)

July 16, 2015 @ 12:43 PM

@James Edgar

It takes precisely 2 seconds for these to connect to my phone via Bluetooth. It just works, always.

July 16, 2015 @ 4:08 PM

James Edgar

That's pretty cool. My issue now that i think about it is that I'm using my old iPhone 4 as an iPod. the Bluetooth sucks compared to my BB or iPhone 6 . Both in connecting and sound.

I guess I could just switch to my phone ...

I'll have to see how it goes if I end up grabbing a pair to try.

July 16, 2015 @ 4:23 PM