Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 126: Roger Ashby

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 126In this 126th episode, Mike chats with 104.5 CHUM FM morning show host Roger Ashby about his years on 1050 CHUM, his move to FM, his success with Roger, Rick and Marilyn, and how long he'll run. This episode is exactly 34:40.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Andrew

Listening right now in my hotel room in Calgary. His voice brings happy tears to me eyes. A pro who knows how to use his voice.
So many great memories watching the Chum Countdown on CITY TV.

Cheers,
Andrew

June 12, 2015 @ 11:57 AM

Lynne

Nostalgia time: CHUM at the Ex brings back great memories of my childhood. I loved their sound blasting near the Princes' Gate. I recall lining up, but I don't recall what I was lining up for. And the name Bob McAdorey reminds me of many days with my beloved transistor radio pressed next to my ear.

Roger Ashby - long may you run. The measure of success is doing what you love to do, and getting paid for it!

June 12, 2015 @ 1:07 PM

dale

Thanks Mike for asking my questions.
Roger is an ICON with Toronto Media overall.

Great podcast & thanks also Roger

June 12, 2015 @ 6:44 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Nicely done Mike, too bad it was so short, just seemed to get rolling and you only got 1 decade of 5 or 6 covered.
Nice of Roger to set aside the time to talk to you

June 12, 2015 @ 8:20 PM

Tim G.

Not the best interview. Roger was fairly pedestrian and friendly but no great radio moments noted. Is he at all relevant today? He should be in awe of you Mike and your ground breaking work here and on Humble and Fred.

June 15, 2015 @ 7:04 AM

Derek

One of the best early radio moments for me was when Roger Ashby let me come and sit in one the morning show. I was so nervous and couldn't think of any good questions to ask of him. It was such a great opportunity. So kind!

June 15, 2015 @ 2:18 PM

brother

I wish there was some discussion of his morning years on 1050 CHUM. I grew up listening to him and then they paired him with Mike Holland (Bolea?), the same guy that was famous for "We Got The Blue Jays" and "Black Flies" (parody of Gino Vinelli's "Black Cars"). Mike was later paired with The Majhor and when he left John went solo. John was on in '86 when one morning I woke up to a consultant's nightmare...."The hits of yesterday and today". I guess I moved over to Chum FM around that time...Wasn't quite the same as the high energy fast paced show of Ashby and Holland. Geraldo Lamas.....looked mahhhhvellous. lol

June 16, 2015 @ 2:05 PM

Dave Charles

Roger and I worked together at 1150 CKOC when he came into radio in 1970. He only lasted a year there. J Robert Wood PD of 1050 CHUM knew what the rest of us knew. Roger was going to be a radio great.

Nobody is more deserving than Roger. He knows his music, Thinks about what matters to his audience and is one of Radio's greatest supporters. He's met music legends like Roy Orbison and Chet Atkins and countless more.

I personally miss the 'Sunday Morning Oldies Show' on CHUM. It was a showcase for Rogers impeccable music trivia and knowledge.

Roger will be around for as long as he wants. He sounds as fresh, warm and relevant today as he did in the early days. That's the mark of a real star pro!. Good on ya Roger!

Dave Charles
President
MRI- Media RESULTS International

June 18, 2015 @ 1:39 PM

Tom J.

Roger is a true professional. The only thing missing from Roger, Darren and Marilyn is Rick. As in Rick Hodge. Those were the days. Its too bad Roger has to work with such a dunce...she calls herself the duchess of Scarborough, but I prefer to call her the duncess of Scarborough! And Darren, what an odd dude. In more ways than one. After all these years I now understand why Roger is still there. The morning show would die without him!

July 13, 2015 @ 8:11 PM

Andrew Vajda

Really liked this interview. Listen to Rogers when possible. Mon-Wed I am a huge Howard Stern fan & listener.

May 7, 2017 @ 11:35 AM