Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 125: Matt Galloway

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 125In this 125th episode, Mike chats with CBC Metro Morning host Matt Galloway about how he ended up at the CBC, how Andy Barrie is doing, how Metro Morning is produced, the future of the CBC, the lack of diversity in Toronto talk radio and his favourite cycling trails. This episode is exactly 1:01:43.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Argie

I'm curious as to how this guy sounds. Normally I would just listen to his show but I have a strict policy to NEVER EVER listen to a CBC radio station. Thus, I'll give this a listen.

June 9, 2015 @ 11:41 AM

@Argie

Your strict policy has you missing out on some awesome radio.

June 9, 2015 @ 11:44 AM

Lynne

Well done, Mike. It was fun to hear Matt answer your *great* questions. He is clearly a thoughtful, intelligent. real person. CBC is lucky to have him. And you already know how lucky you are to have him on your podcast. I really enjoyed this one.

June 9, 2015 @ 2:19 PM

@Lynne

I have a lot of respect for Matt and sincerely think his show is the best morning show in the city.

I was honoured he visited me today. And just like Jonathan Torrens, he had to take a cab from CBC HQ.

I had a great time.

June 9, 2015 @ 2:30 PM

Tdotter

I love Matt Galloway and I loved hearing him on your podcast. And thank you for keeping the Gardiner discussion to a minimum. :)

June 9, 2015 @ 2:31 PM

Observer

Mike, what I like about your podcast is the diversity. One week it's Steve Anthony, the next it's Matt Galloway. One week it's Strombo, the next it's Retrontario. It's all over the place but always enlightening and entertaining.

Please keep it up. You have a good thing going here.

June 9, 2015 @ 2:37 PM

Lynne

@ Mike

I guess I am officially the opposite of Argie because the only radio I ever listen to is CBC. Proud of it too! My husband is very well trained to change the radio station back to 99.1 for me when I'm in the car.

On the subject of excellent Metro Morning hosts, it was good to hear how well Andy Barrie is doing in general, and specifically how his life is going with Parkinsons. Thanks for mentioning that there is a short video documentary concerning Andy undergoing deep brain stimulation. It is called Andy Barrie: The Voice. Here is the url: http://lanaslezic.com/ Glad I listened to your podcast today. Somehow that one got away from me. I often wondered how "The Voice" is doing. Now I know.

June 9, 2015 @ 2:53 PM

Andrew

I gotta buy a levelator for your console, or some boom arms for the mics.
Radio guys are so used to having someone mix their voices, they forget how mics actually work :)

I had trouble listening to the interview because of it. Great convo though.

Cheers,
Andrew

June 9, 2015 @ 3:01 PM

@Andrew

Before we start recording, I always deliver my passionate "get on the mic" speech. I literally tell guests to make out with it.

Then, if I hear the guest moving off the mic (as I did today), I'll always remind them. You can hear my reminder to Matt early in this one.

But after that, I'm afraid of being overly annoying. What's a levelator?

June 9, 2015 @ 3:03 PM

Lyle Lanley

Great listen.

June 9, 2015 @ 3:16 PM

Andrew

It's just a piece of gear that helps you with voice normalization. You can use a compressor to get the same affect, but they are pricey for what you have. I think a couple of $99 moveable boom arms will help them get the mic in a comfortable position, etc.

I heard you tell him, I hear you tell everyone :)
It's human nature.

Cheers!
Andrew

June 9, 2015 @ 3:24 PM

@Andrew

I'm doing this to the file... running the compressor filter in Audacity. http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/compressor.html

That seems to help, but I'm thinking the boom arms are the answer. How much do they cost?

June 9, 2015 @ 3:30 PM

Gump

@Mike You say "I have a lot of respect for Matt ... " yet you couldn't even put on a proper pair of pants when you did the interview? Those track pants scream "lazy and living in the basement".

June 9, 2015 @ 4:00 PM

@Gump

I must respect the man because I was actually wearing pants!

June 9, 2015 @ 4:02 PM

Gump

Well, as long as they were your "good" pair of trackpants, rock on ...

June 9, 2015 @ 4:16 PM

@Gump

$68 Roots sweatpants.. it doesn't get much better than that.

June 9, 2015 @ 4:18 PM

Andrew

@ toronto Mike

It's something you need to do during the recording because you don't record separate tracks and then edit via Pro Tools. You do it real time, so the mixing needs to be done at time of recording.

The Rode boom arm: http://www.rode.com/accessories/psa1
Price is about $120-$140 depending on the retailer.

Cheers,
Andrew

June 9, 2015 @ 6:25 PM

markosaar

Would it be a huge leap for Mike to record separate tracks? Seems like he'd have a lot more flexibility for fixing stuff in post if he did. I think even Audacity can do it, provided his mics are coming into the PC as different sources.

June 9, 2015 @ 6:56 PM

Andrew

you would need the ability to record split tracks... which is ok for two people and I'd have to show him

June 9, 2015 @ 7:06 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Will give a listen Wednesday, is Roger Ashby confirmed, I have listened to him since I was young, and that was a long time ago.
See CBC fired Evan Solomon.

June 9, 2015 @ 9:16 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

Roger Ashby is confirmed. He'll be the guest for episode 126. Let me know what questions you'd ask him!

June 9, 2015 @ 9:18 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Ask tiger if he ever met Wolfman Jack, I recall listening on Sunday nights on Chum. To him, and I some how remember Roger taking over from him, or Chum changed it to Roger doing the Show on Sunday mornings. This was all around the American Graffiti movie time (Approximately).
Ask him about his interview with the Scottish duo that sang I would walk 1000 miles, I think it is his favorite ( or not!)

June 9, 2015 @ 10:31 PM

Argie

Galloway seems like good guy. Smart, well spoken and has a good radio voice. However, I thought he held too much back. He was very careful in what he was saying.

One of the things I thought was interesting (but not surprising) was that he said his team (of about 20 no doubt) worked for weeks on finding the right questions to trip up Rob Ford. If only they put half of that time to trip up our current Premier (re: her scandals, teacher strike and other issues), it would make me want to listen.

I had to chuckle when Mike said to Matt "you were the only one who gave him a fair, balanced interview..."

June 10, 2015 @ 8:27 AM

@Argie

I believe I said (and I'm paraphrasing a little here) that Matt was the only one who called Rob Ford out on his bullshit.

June 10, 2015 @ 8:46 AM

Argie

@Mike
My point is that he wasn't "only one calling him out." Every member of the media was doing the same - some more stronger than other.

June 10, 2015 @ 8:55 AM

@Argie

Sure, in print, or as an editorial, but not in real-time during an interview for Ford. At least, not the many I saw that week.

June 10, 2015 @ 9:20 AM

Derek

I have always wanted to ask Matt who his "teacher" was at CBC. I remember hearing him do cut-ins during the 2002 World Cup. He sounded so green back then... A couple years later he was on Hear and Now sounding smooth and amazing. I want to be taught by this Yoda-like radio guru!

June 10, 2015 @ 5:06 PM

@Derek

Me first! I need him more.

June 10, 2015 @ 8:06 PM

JP

Great job, Mike. I really enjoy your episodes with radio hosts. It's fascinating to take a peak behind the curtain. Matt is a great host, I'm a huge fan of his interviews.

Just throwing this out there - would love to hear Bob McCown on one of these.

June 10, 2015 @ 10:33 PM

@JP

Bob McCown is definitely on my list.

Next up, Roger Ashby.

June 11, 2015 @ 6:58 AM

Frank

I'm looking forward to this one. Galloway is one of the best in the business.

June 11, 2015 @ 9:08 AM