Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 120: Roz Weston

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 120In this 120th episode, Mike chats with Roz Weston about his internship at The Howard Stern Show, his gig at ET Canada, his Kiss 92.5 morning show with Mocha and much, much more. Oh, and there's a Grey's Anatomy spoiler embedded within. This episode is exactly 1:02:28.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

McNulty

I am one of those male listeners that Roz doesn't care about. But I get what he meant....the advertisers aren't going after my money.
This was a good interview. Roz comes across as genuine and honest. I imagine there are some people in radio that would be upset that he didn't "pay his dues" or that crap.

You should have asked if he still avoids public transportation due to his recognition factor. At first I thought it seemed douchey but I don't get people bothering me on the subway.

Again, good interview.

April 27, 2015 @ 9:40 AM

@McNulty

Yeah, it's like 102.1 only caring about young people. It doesn't matter that Spirit of Radio Sundays are popular, only that it's popular with the right demo.

I'm glad you liked this one. I thought Roz was a great guest.

April 27, 2015 @ 9:43 AM

McNulty

Oh!

And Roz makes a compelling argument about TV spoilers. He's right. People want to talk about their shows and the people that aren;t watching live assume that risk in today's internet world.

If I don't watch a show in real time I will avoid social media the next day. But if I go on Twitter or anything else then that's my fault. Roz works on a show where it is a great topic of conversation and he should have to wait until May or June to disucss it. It's relevant now. Not later.
Roz wins.

April 27, 2015 @ 9:48 AM

@McNulty

Except now the poor sucker who PVR'd Grey's Anatomy on Thursday night to watch Friday night doesn't just have to avoid social media, he/she has to avoid all media.

And remember, this is a man who said he enjoys spoiling popular movies he didn't like just to ruin them for people. Selfish!

April 27, 2015 @ 9:52 AM

McNulty

I won't defend the movie spoilers.

But the TV one is valid. You have a show and most of your audience watches Grey's. A major event takes place and people want to hear what others think and what their "friends" on the radio think. It's fresh in their minds and Friday morning is a valid and proper time to talk about it,
Just like after one of the most polarizing finales ever, The Sopranos. I wanted to hear about it on the radio the next day. If they said they would talk about it days or weeks later I would lose interest.

April 27, 2015 @ 10:02 AM

Lyle Lanley

Excellent episode. The convo is both natural and interesting, which is very rare in this day and age.

And yes, it's worth the drive to Acton!

April 27, 2015 @ 10:18 AM

Here's Custom's 120, the song I played for Roz at the opening and a song I still totally dig.

April 27, 2015 @ 10:19 AM

Stan

I was pretty indifferent to Roz before this ep, but now I like him.

April 27, 2015 @ 11:03 AM

Andrew

This was a great interview. Not my target audience in either venue Roz works in, but I know a bunch of people who work or have worked for ET Canada and he's right about them.

The one thing that really stuck out for me with this interview was his talk about what he wanted to do with his show. I have stated over my time on Mike's website that radio is all about personality. It always has been. As Roz stated there are 5 or more stations in Toronto playing the exact same music, so why would they want to tune in and listen to him and Mocha? Answer: them. I love this. He gets it. Made my smile when I was listening.

Anyway, good job Mike. Roz also knows how to use a mic!!

Cheers,
Andrew

April 27, 2015 @ 1:30 PM

Blind Dave

I've never been into the entertainment biz, and yes, I am an older male they don't care about. I had never even heard of Roz before today, but he came across as well-spoken and genuine. I like his voice and his presentation. Another great interview!

April 28, 2015 @ 9:18 AM

Jackie

Enjoyable and informative listening. I love hearing about the Toronto radio scene.

May 3, 2015 @ 12:27 PM

brother neil

TM: is the Buffalo station you were thinking of WBUF? Howard Stern mornings, Opie & Anthony afternoons...? I believe they later turned Jack around the time Howard left terrestrial radio? Nonetheless, great station and I listened religiously vs the version Q107 castrated!

July 29, 2015 @ 11:15 PM