Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 117: Retrontario

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 117In this 117th episode, Mike chats with Retrontario about retro Toronto television from TVOntario to CityTV. We share memories of old ads, jingles, psas and all the nostalgia you can stomach. This episode is exactly 1:12:09.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Ty

Excellent podcast! Please have Retrontario/Ed Conroy on your podcast again... 1 hour was definitely not enough time to discuss growing up on the best era of local television.

April 7, 2015 @ 7:15 PM

markosaar

I was born in '82, and TVO still did the Polka Dot Door to Dr. Who transition for my childhood, also giving me a life-long aversion to everything Dr. Who. I also loved the Friday night late eclectic movies on City TV, but I don't remember anything with boobs in my time.

Nice nostalgia trip!

April 7, 2015 @ 7:35 PM

Sam in Pickering

Lots of genuine laughter in this episode. And great memories!

April 7, 2015 @ 8:44 PM

dale

Elwy Yost was the master of TVO.

April 7, 2015 @ 9:01 PM

Here's where I wrote about Elwy Yost's death and included the Magic Shadows opening. http://www.torontomike.com/2011/07/elwy_yost_dead_at_86.html

April 7, 2015 @ 9:04 PM

Robyn

I'm a bit younger than you both (born in 82) but I can totally relate to so much of this. Commercials and TV shows of my childhood have always been such a fun thing to think about, and I do often, maybe too often. I'm glad that others are around being nostalgic. I've been subscribed to Retro Ontario for awhile now, keep up the good work Ed!

April 7, 2015 @ 9:13 PM

RS

TVO was my crack. Green Forest, Dr Snuggles, Today's Special, The Elephant Show...loved them all.

The Doctor Who theme terrified me for years because of TVO. I would jump to change the channel after 'Polka Dot Door' ended so I could avoid hearing the theme or seeing the intro. Both were traumatizing.

I couldn't bring myself to watch DW for years, even after countless recommendations. But gave in a few years ago and became a fan of the 'New!Who' era, and have even grown to love the theme. But as a kid? NO THANK YOU.

Maybe give it a shot, and mute the credits? :)

April 7, 2015 @ 11:01 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Loved this one. I hope you have him on again in a future podcast.

April 9, 2015 @ 9:57 AM

MrDan

That construction safety video he's talking about at 48:10 is probably called "Danger, Keep Out!". A 26 minute video filmed 1987 for the Construction Safety Association of Ontario, the same year Degrassi Jr High came out. I have a VHS copy of it around somewhere, but it appears you can probably order it through IHSA here: http://www.ihsa.ca/PDFs/Products/Id/M025.pdf

Part of it was Rifftrax'ed here: http://www.rifftrax.com/danger-keep-out

April 14, 2015 @ 2:31 AM

Retrontario

Hey Mr. Dan, that is awesome that you have a copy of Danger, Keep Out! Any chance I could borrow your VHS to digitize it? I tried going through the IHSA but they no longer sell that titles :(

April 15, 2015 @ 8:25 PM

MrDan

Unfortunately I don't know where our copy is, probably buried in the basement somewhere if we even still have it. After seeing the movie in (grade 1 or 2?) we had mailed the group asking for one and they sent us a tape with some of those nice "Danger, Keep Out" construction posters (I still have mine rolled up), but that was 20 years ago.

But, the folks at Rifftrax seem to have a digital copy of the full movie, it might be worthwhile asking them if you can get an unaltered copy from them. I actually found that the entire movie has been posted here (it's been Rifftrax'ed, but the original audio and voices are intact): http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2d5v6h_rifftrax-shorts-s3e171-danger-keep-out_fun

April 26, 2015 @ 7:43 PM