The Effect of Morning Show Changes at The Fan 590 and Virgin 999 on Toronto Radio Ratings

Toronto radio ratings came out yesterday, and I was interested in what effect recent changes at The Fan 590 and Virgin 999 have had. The Fan 590 recently moved Brady and Walker to 1pm and brought in long-time Edge 102 morning man Dean Blundell to host their morning show. Virgin 999 recently fired Jay "Maddog" Michaels and replaced him with someone named Tucker.

First, let's take a look at the numbers for The Fan 590. Keep in mind, Dean Blundell debuted on March 2 after a great deal of promotion.

Males, ages 25 - 54
590 Mornings

Jan 2015: 4.9
Feb 2015: 4.4
Mar 2015: 4.4

Males, ages 18 - 49
590 Mornings

Feb 2015: 4.5
Mar 2015: 4.2

Males and Females, ages 25 - 54
590 Mornings

Jan 2015: 2.6
Feb 2015: 2.4
Mar 2015: 2.3

The needle barely moved. I'm certain Rogers executives expected a much bigger bump, or at least a bump. Instead, the numbers are going in the wrong direction. And remember, Blundell is a controversial figure in this town. You've got to assume many would tune in during his first month to see how he sounds in the new format. Curiosity alone should have resulted in an increased share. The numbers will likely only go down from here.

The 4.4 share Dean Blundell got in The Fan's key demo is particularly devastating for Rogers when you consider Brady and Walker earned an 8.5 share last March.

Now, let's look at the numbers for Virgin 999. Maddog was fired on March 4, so he's responsible for February.

Females, ages 25 - 54
Virgin Mornings

Feb 2015: 6.6
Mar 2015: 4.3

All Females, all ages
Virgin Overall

Feb 2015: 6.4
Mar 2015: 3.4

That's a significant drop in their targeted female audience gone in 30 days. Ladies seem to love Maddog. It's important to note, however, that Tucker didn't start until very late March.

I reached out to Maddog, who appeared in episode 92 of my podcast, and here's what he had to say.

The listener response has been overwhelming and completely humbling. You always hope your connecting with people but I had no idea how much and how many. Between the petition, Facebook and Twitter, WOW. Blown away daily by the support. And the fact that they say they'll follow me wherever I go next? That's proof that Radio personalities are still a huge part of people's lives in Toronto. I Can't thank everyone enough... but I sure plan on trying.

What are your thoughts on these numbers for The Fan 590 and Virgin Radio's morning shows? Were the big changes worth it?

Jenkins

Call it Schadenfreude if you want, but I couldn't be happier about the ratings for Blundell's show. The man is such an unpleasant, toxic person, and in my opinion, he has no place on Toronto radio. Or radio anywhere else, for that matter.

April 10, 2015 @ 9:59 AM

Al The Royal Pain

The changes were not worth losing Tim & Sid. I don't care about the mornings...I haven't listened to morning radio since Landry & Stellick.

April 10, 2015 @ 10:00 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

But... it's quite likely Rogers wanted to move Tim and Sid to television-only. So Tim and Sid likely had to go regardless.

April 10, 2015 @ 10:03 AM

James Edgar

Not too surprised by the fan Numbers. While not horrible Blundell doesn't have the kind of chemistry Brady and Walker have .

I'm not a sports fan like most listeners . I like hockey a lot but don't love it ,Baseball i like a little bit ,Basketball i'm not into even a little bit. NFL Even less than Basketball. Soccer is not interesting either.

I love Motorcycle Racing and F1. Like any sports/prototype car racing a lot. Nascar sucks.

Brady and Walker were interesting enough that i listened to them talk about all the things i don't care about and ignore the things I love .

Blundell i can listen to for about 5 minutes at a time. Then it's off to 820 or more likely music from my phone.
Virgin radio i can't speak to as i've never listened.

April 10, 2015 @ 10:07 AM

Ziggy's Father

"Well allow me to retort" - Jules Winfield

1. I would caution flashing around Numeris numbers that might not be available for public consumption. Just because you can get them doesn't mean you can publish them.

2. The Blundell numbers are flat. The sports radio ecosystem has a small loyal audience. No one will tune in for Blundell because he was on 102.1

3. Mad Dog did not loose half of his female audience. To make such a claim you would need present the CUME not the share. It likely means people listened for shorter periods of time.

4. Your metrics to defend Mad Dog are misplaced. The current numbers reflect no brand name morning show. Compare the numbers in a year when the audience has had time to get used to the new morning host.

5. Blundell is only controversial to people who once listened to CFNY or to readers of this blog. The majority of people in Toronto would, at best, maybe have heard the name.

6. Mathematically speaking, changes in trends happen over a long period of time. You look for ratings changes over years not weeks.

April 10, 2015 @ 10:11 AM

Dan tucker

I've listened to the Fan since day one. I don't mind the change to Blundell in the morning but have to but Rusak back to relief work. He's intimidated by Blundell. Cripes how many times can Rusak say "Dean" in one show. It's horrible. I'm sure he's a good guy but the Fan will lose another loyal listener if they don't change it up

April 10, 2015 @ 10:15 AM

@Ziggy's Father

Reply to your #4: Good point... Tucker's a completely new name in this market and needs time to be judged fairly.

Reply to your #6: Of course, but this is all we have right now. I'm just sharing what's available today and hosting a conversation about it.

April 10, 2015 @ 10:18 AM

Neal

I wonder if there has been any increase in ratings for TSN1050 and particularly the morning show there since the changes at The Fan. That might be more of a metric.

April 10, 2015 @ 10:50 AM

The 4.4 share Dean got in the key demo is particularly devastating for Rogers when you consider Brady and Walker earned an 8.5 share last March.

April 10, 2015 @ 11:02 AM

Anonymous

Mike, have you landed on a cereal? I think you were disappointed to lose out with the Special K change? Also, curious about the sugar rule - I think you limit the cereal to a certain #grams? But what about the milk? I think even a cup of skim milk has a fair bit of sugar in it. What about moving to Oatmeal?

April 10, 2015 @ 11:11 AM

@Anonymous

Oatmeal with almond milk... that's the ticket. But I do enjoy President's Choice Blue Menu Bran Flakes as they taste like Shreddies to me.

And I'm willing to bet you meant to drop this question in the Open Mike. :)

April 10, 2015 @ 11:15 AM

Sam in Pickering

It's shocking how disappointing Blundell's numbers are. Did they really think the 102.1 DBS listeners would suddenly tune into AM sports radio to hear a kinder, gentler Dean?

April 10, 2015 @ 11:21 AM

Cheryl

Well, I thought I would give Dean Blundell a try because my trainer said he really liked him so I did. I couldn't listen to him that long. Well, I found out yesterday that my trainer is even sick of Dean Blundell. He is tired of him so doesn't listen to him much anymore. Good for my trainer. Anyway, I used to hate baseball. Now I like baseball a lot, even more than hockey in some ways. It is slower though, it can drag on, but you hear more about the individual players batting and pitching. It's good. I love the NFL and NBA, but I don't depend on the radio for sports unless it's listening to a game on internet radio. I get my scores from Magic Jack or the internet.

April 10, 2015 @ 11:22 AM

@Cheryl

When it comes to sports on the radio, nothing beats baseball.

April 10, 2015 @ 11:24 AM

elvis

Stop commenting on radio numbers. You don't know anything. And why did you let Todd get off early?

April 10, 2015 @ 11:55 AM

@elvis

Very funny. Even though only 5% of readers will get the context...

April 10, 2015 @ 12:04 PM

elvis

That's my sweet spot.

April 10, 2015 @ 12:09 PM

Chris

Obviously Ziggy's father has no access to social media. Virginradio morning listeners are very public in regards to getting rid of MADDOG. We don't tune in to Virgin any more. He was the personality that held that show together. This tucker guy HAS no personality. The chemistry in the booth is nonexistent. Simply put. It's boring. Time will not change that. Maddog made his listener's feel like he was a friend. You can't learn that at radio college. It's a gift the new guy will never have. Whoever is smart enough to pick up Mad dog will immediately increase their listener ship by a good percentage.

April 10, 2015 @ 12:15 PM

Argie

@Dan tucker
My sentiments exactly. I commented in the previous discussion about George. Its his voice that really bugs me.

To be fair he seems to have reduced the frequency of "Dean", thank God.

April 10, 2015 @ 12:19 PM

Handsome Rob

My question is what were the ratings for Oatmeal & Special K in the mornings? I heard they were down in their key demo. Also, any truth to the rumour that Oatmeal & Special K will be moving to afternoons?

Is Ziggys dad Todd?

April 10, 2015 @ 12:47 PM

Ziggy's Father

Chris, with all due respect to Mad Dog, radio announcers being let go is a tempest in a tea pot. There will always be people who truly bond with a specific radio announcer but otherwise the average listener really doesn't care.

If you want a great example, let's use Martin Streek. He took his own life, Corus handled it dreadfully & tens of thousands of people swore they would never listen to the station again. No such thing happened. In fact the great irony of 102.1 is that after the much "despised" Dean Blundell left the ratings actually tanked in the morning. The loss of Blundell hit them more than the loss of Streek.

Tucker is new to Toronto but not new to radio. Check back in a year and see how his numbers are.

April 10, 2015 @ 12:56 PM

I thought Ziggy's dad was Irvine!

April 10, 2015 @ 3:10 PM

Robyn

Er, Scott Tucker started March 30th. Might be important to point out. Not that the numbers matter here in the way they are being referenced, Ziggy's Father makes a great point.

I prefer toast in the morning.

April 10, 2015 @ 4:53 PM

@Robyn

Good point... this isn't so much a reflection of life with Tucker as it is life without Maddog.

I've added the detail about when Tucker started to the original entry to make this clear.

April 10, 2015 @ 5:03 PM

JP

i thought Brady/Walker, Blair, Tim/Sid, McCown was the best lineup The Fans ever had.

They were asking for this by messing with a good thing.

April 10, 2015 @ 5:18 PM

Mat

I listened to Blundell for one segment and in that time he called the flames the leafs, said "in the 4th quarter" when talking about the previous nights hockey game, and said a few mildly funny jokes. I remember seeing his tweet about MLSE owning the jays too.

The guy clearly doesn't know sports nearly enough to host a sports radio show, let alone a premier morning spot on a flagship station. This will fail miserably, just a matter of time

April 10, 2015 @ 5:19 PM

dale

2 or 3 weeks ago Blundell was going to interview Russell Martin from BJays & introduced him as Russell Wilson.
Does anyone else remember. Dean kept saying we are talking to Russell Wilson from the BJays & finally his sidekick (Puppet George) said Russell Martin I have a question for you, which was a lameduck question.

I even felt embarrassed for Martin & it was only after the segment he thanked Russell Wilson for coming on.

A $hit$st0rm & gave up on 590 in the mornings. TSN not much better.

Ted Rogers must be rolling in his grave.

April 10, 2015 @ 6:08 PM

Jillian

I actually like the new guy on virgin...it's Maura I can't handle. I agree with the above comments about Blundell's "dean,dean,dean" sidekick. I'm sure he's told to do that so listeners can differentiate between the voices but it's distracting. And the constant, cheesy music in the background when they're talking.
And Mike..I hope Ziggy from SOWNY isn't coming over to your blog. That would be very unfortunate!!

April 10, 2015 @ 6:14 PM

Gary

The Fan today is not as good as it was a few months ago. TSN radio should really jump all over this and make some changes to their morning show.

I miss Tim and Sid. I am not sure TV will work for them. I think all the changes at The Fan were a colossal mistake.

April 10, 2015 @ 7:07 PM

The obvious move, IMHO, is for TSN to make a play for Brady and Walker and put them against Dean Blundell.

Brady and Walker have great chemistry and can actually talk sports.

April 10, 2015 @ 7:10 PM

dale

@Mike

That would be awesome. Mike Richards gone & have o team that know sports & are a great team together.
TSN your move - Checkmate

April 10, 2015 @ 7:18 PM

Headly

What were Blundell's numbers like compared to the competition, TSN? What were Brady & Walker's like in comparison.
Not surprised about Virgin, Jay seemed like a class act on your podcast. Looks good on them!!

April 10, 2015 @ 8:12 PM

@Headly

I don't have the numbers for TSN, but the numbers above for January and February belong to Brady and Walker.

If anyone has the TSN numbers and is willing to share them with me, send me an email. All sources will be kept confidential.

April 10, 2015 @ 8:16 PM

missing her morning show

i have only listened to mad dog in the mornings. Started back when he was with Billie on kiss. Losing maddog in the morning was the worst decision virgin ever made. I now no longer listen to virgin (maddog was the only reason I did to begin with). I hope he finds work soon I miss his awesome sense of humour. He will forever be the best radio host for toronto and Canada for that matter. We miss you maddog!!

April 10, 2015 @ 8:33 PM

NightDiver

Blundell's mistake was sports radio - it's too niche and I'd argue the majority of those who actually still want to listen to him, want to listen to HIM, not sports talk. Honestly his podcasts were better than his current gig, despite his destain for the entire concept. But even so, the podcasts were reflective of a guy whose time at the top has undoubtedly passed.

April 10, 2015 @ 9:01 PM

Nicole

i miss mad dog and have stopped listening to 99.9 completely!

April 10, 2015 @ 9:51 PM

Anon&on

Blundell doesn't know sports, and it's obvious he is being fed facts and info. I like that he brought his stump Dean call-in contest with him, that is fun ( although it has been toned down and 'friendly-ized' of late). It's still snark. Rusek has taken to the snark easily, so you have 2 guys being snarky towards sports names. It isn't a half-bad show if you don't want hard sports content. 1050 isn't much better, Richards was not a sports guy either.

Brady & Walker was good sports talk, but that show was soooo regimented into 1-2 minute segments, there was nothing organic at all about the conversation, no follow-up, it was more of a traffic report for sports. You could almost hear the timer clicking away.

April 10, 2015 @ 10:19 PM

Gary

I agree with Anon. I find Brady and Walker a little too regimented. After about 10 minutes, I found it hard to listen to. I liked Landry and Stellick or Landry and Hogan. TSN already has Hogan....just bring Landry back and give The Fan some real competition.

April 11, 2015 @ 5:29 AM

Alex Digenis

almost feel bad for Tucker. 99.9 made a goofy mistake. We don't listen anymore.
Mad Dog was awesome to listen to in the Am.

April 11, 2015 @ 7:50 AM

Alex Digenis

almost feel bad for Tucker. 99.9 made a goofy mistake. We don't listen anymore.
Mad Dog was awesome to listen to in the Am.

April 11, 2015 @ 7:50 AM

Alex Digenis

almost feel bad for Tucker. 99.9 made a goofy mistake. We don't listen anymore.
Mad Dog was awesome to listen to in the Am.

April 11, 2015 @ 7:51 AM

Alex Digenis

almost feel bad for Tucker. 99.9 made a goofy mistake. We don't listen anymore.
Mad Dog was awesome to listen to in the Am.

April 11, 2015 @ 7:51 AM

Cheryl

Well, this is it. I didn't realize how good baseball on the radio really is. Good thing my trainer bought it for me last year and not something else. This year I subscribed myself and I will have baseball every year. The Orioles announcers are the best. Joe Angel and Fred Manfra call a great game. They don't make baseball boring at all except yesterday's game was so hard to listen to. My Orioles got clobbered. Well, my trainer is really sick of Dean Blundell. He did listen to him on the Edge though for years and that's how he liked him.

April 11, 2015 @ 7:51 AM

So we have some TSN Radio figures now.

Mike Richards made a gain in the M25-54 group, going from a 2.6 share in February to 3.0 in March.

April 11, 2015 @ 9:15 AM

@Jillian

I wouldn't tolerate a Ziggy here. I once had a Ziggy, he called himself Dave Williams, and I put an end to it.

April 11, 2015 @ 9:32 AM

Handsome Rob

I wonder what the folks at the Fan are going to do? I don't think leaving the show as is will improve the raiting, based on my limited listening (10-15 minutes worth) and the comments here of how bad it still is. And I don't think they'll just axe the show. So the only option I think, would be to drop in strong radio sportscaster.

@mike from 9:15 am. You sound like the godfather! LOL

April 11, 2015 @ 10:08 AM

Tiger

They can't bring back Pat Marsden to save it this time too.

April 11, 2015 @ 10:11 AM

Rob

Mike,

You think the failure of the Leafs has anything to do with the down tick in sports radio ratings? Let's face it, they were dead in February and the narrative around the team became repetitive and boring. Historically, the Leafs are a cause for a shift in ratings on the television side, I wonder if the same applies for radio?

I think for the first time that I can remember, this city has had Leafs apathy so I wonder if Sports Media as a whole is affected.

Thoughts?

April 11, 2015 @ 10:52 AM

@Rob

Considering the controversy around Blundell, the promotion behind his new role at The Fan, and the fact he debuted on trade deadline day, it's safe to say Rogers execs were anticipating a significant bump over the February numbers. Afterall, Brady and Walker were already on their way out and everyone knew it.

So for there to be no bump in March compared to February is a huge shocker, even though the Leafs sucked.

April 11, 2015 @ 10:58 AM

Douglas

It appears that Blundell did not do anything positive for Rogers. So be it. Where did Mad Dog's listeners go? Even if they dispersed, there should be higher numbers at 92.5, 93.5, 97.3, 103.5, 104.5 (Did I miss any?).

April 11, 2015 @ 11:20 AM

Mel Preston

So how long do they give Dean? I'm not sure the more time will help - he could be just in the wrong format. Will be interesting to see if he lasts the year or not. I sure hope not - I'd welcome a change.

April 11, 2015 @ 12:26 PM

Tron

I used to listen to Brady and Walker semi-regularly (it would be my backup to CFRB Moore show) but since the change I haven't gone to The Fan morning show at all.

For me you either have to be really good sports wise, or really good personality wise. With Blundell it doesn't fit either category. I don't hold any strong feeling about what happened with him with Edge, I am just so indifferent to him.

April 11, 2015 @ 3:24 PM

Justin

I used to be a regular listener to Brady and Lang and then Brady and Walker. When Jim Lang was let go I was skeptical...I'd already been enjoying their show and felt no change was needed. However, Walker and Brady are fantastic together and have chemistry Brady and Land never had. The change in co-hosts made me a more regular listener to the show. Now? I couldn't stand Blundell when he was on the EDGE with his asinine show and, although I like him better on the FAN, his show is nothing better than sub-par. It's a huge step down from Brady and Walker and not much better than boring Mike Richards. For better or for worse, I now listen to John Oakley in the morning. 590 has lost a regular listener to their morning show with this change. Stupid move.

April 11, 2015 @ 8:27 PM

Toddy Tickles

Two problems with Blundell are what's around him.

1) The station/his boss will not let just be Dean and handle the controversy that could come their way.

2) His supporting cast is not Jason, Todd or Derek. Or even Billie.

Edge listeners knew that morning show was more than just Dean Blundell. The other voices on that station helped build that morning show. The Fan has surrounded Dean with a team fit for College radio. Fan had a chance to reach new listeners and they blew it by not letting Dean be Dean or surround him with "his" team.

As for Mad Dog...look closer to Virgin's numbers the day they launched in 2008. You'd see the station has outperformed his morning team by a significant margin. They kept him longer than he earned, and they were better served keeping Chris Biggs and moving him to the morning slot. Biggs and Jason are now doing a great job in St Catherines and should be on a Toronto station. No, I'm not plugging Biggs and Barr.

April 12, 2015 @ 7:59 AM

Cheryl

Well, my trainer says Dean Blundell may or may not last. He doesn't know, but says he is sick of him. As for the Leafs, they're done. Habs are winning the cup.

April 12, 2015 @ 8:12 AM

Bishop Jenkins

Changes are always bumpy but I can say I stopped listening to 99.9 as the new male host does not appeal to me.

A few days ago Tucker did an impression on the radio that required people to view him. Maybe in a few years he will realize radio is voice only but by then 99.9 will have fired him too.

April 12, 2015 @ 10:12 AM

Marie

The morning show with Mad Dog is no longer the show it once was. It started to go in a different direction after Steve Roberts was "let go", but now it's actually annoying to listen to. Mad Dog was and still is "The Morning Show" and to fire him is tantamount to self destruction. You do not need a year to figure that out. I switched and am happy with the switch as I am sure many others have. There has to be "that something" that keeps you listening, and like first impressions it has to happen right away. Tucker, bless him, does not have "it" and may never.
Virgin, you made a huge mistake getting rid of Steve Roberts and Mad Dog. I would say the worse decision ever.

April 12, 2015 @ 10:16 AM

AuntZee

Sowny should change their name to Ziggy as he's just about the only one posting there now that and posts about him. He's hit new lows now saying some awful things about handicapped athletes. His rationale, as alway, is that it's tongue in cheek. He also denying that he's John Kato and while I agree that one's ID should not matter, in this case I think the taunts are justified because of the loathsome nature of his posts and he continues to repeat the same attacks on Mike Stafford and Ted W. on every second post.

He's left too much evidence of Facebook etc tho for his ID denials to have any validity and he's turned Sowny into a playground for himself. I went there yesterday after long time because I saw his name in the comments here. What I read were some derogatory comments about the handicapped. I don't think there's any justification for the rants I saw yesterday.

April 12, 2015 @ 11:41 AM

@AuntZee

I spoke with Mike Stafford about this Ziggy on my podcast: http://www.torontomike.com/2015/03/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_113.html

It sounds like he's ruined a once pleasant forum. It also sounds like that forum needs a moderator.

April 12, 2015 @ 11:51 AM

melissa 4g

You know, It's funny! I know that I don't actually "know" Maddog, however, being a listener for the last 10 years (I'd guess) I feel like I do. I feel like he was a part of my day in some weird way. Now, feels like somethings missing. Its Maddog that has kept me listening all these years. His quick witty humor is/was my fave! I can't tell you how many times i was actually laughing out loud on my way to work. It set the mood for the rest of my day! Since he was let go...I can say I haven't listened to virgin radio. Partially because I'm making a conscious effort to boycott them, but mainly because the fan favorite is gone! Big Mistake Virgin! Huge! Let us know where you end up Maddog. You'll have us behind you 110%.

#TeamMaddog

April 12, 2015 @ 8:16 PM

Ashley

999 lost a bit when Billie was gone. Then came in Maura and Melissa. I couldn't connect with either female lead and I found the show went downhill with news, games, and fan calls. I listened to MadDog and Kella which would pass the time, but I removed it from my favourite list in the car. Sadly - I have decreased tuning in when at work as well. There are other stations that have a better team in. I hope Virgin Radio reads this.

April 12, 2015 @ 8:27 PM

Ashumz87

Mad dog was the only reason I listened to virgin radio. Now that hes gone I actively boycott the station. I think the numbers are accurate and will still reflect that in a year. radio has been boring ever since the change, ive tried other morning shows but its just not my style.

April 14, 2015 @ 7:15 AM

Felice

so disappointed to hear about maddog was let go from virgin radio. I will not be listening to that station again. Can't wait to follow him on his new journey ❤️
Felice

April 15, 2015 @ 8:36 AM

Roger

Keep trying to listen to the Blundell show but it is brutal. The lack of sports knowledge & the phony repartee is so obvious. The person that really needs to go at the Fan590 is Don Collins. Everytime he has something good he messes with it. Blundell is his latest mistake & is no better that Andrew Krystall was. Just one mistake after another.
I also agree that Tim & Sid will be a big loss on the Fan but at least we can catch them on TV in the future.

April 15, 2015 @ 9:50 AM

Nicole

I have been trying to "like" the morning show based on these changes but it's not the same without Mad Dog. He made the show. And Tucker has an awkwardness about his style and his voice sounds more like a sales person at a carnival or perhaps a game show host...something about it just doesn't grow on you. I will no longer listen to 99.9.....Mad Dog made my morning drive!

April 16, 2015 @ 8:08 AM

Anonymous

Here is why these numbers matter. When Bell started ruining Virgin Radio last fall, we can see thanks to PPM what has started to happen. The listeners went somewhere. Edge and others have gained in both males and females in the key money demo. For the edge they doubled their cume since the fall. In males they are #2 behind CHFI if you can believe it. The listeners went somewhere and going by cfny doubling the numbers in a few short months it would appear some went there. Why? Who knows, but they did. My guess is wherever Maddog lands next will see a decent spike. These monthly's matter because it shows a trend. Unless you can see the year over year you're out of the loop which I am not.

April 17, 2015 @ 3:36 AM

mike

The reason why Dean Blundell ratings have been slow to develop is because the Leafs and now the Raptors suck.
Last year the Raptors were at least a surprise and a fun team so people would tune in more to sports talk radio. This year they have totally sucked the second half of the year and are going nowhere in the playoffs. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say, I could care less about listening to sports talk when both of Toronto's winter teams this year have been major disappointments.

April 17, 2015 @ 10:04 AM

@mike

I'll give you the Leafs being worse than ever, but the Raptors had a better record this year and start the playoffs as the favourite tomorrow.

April 17, 2015 @ 10:10 AM

Reesa

I really loved listening to MadDog and Maura's Word Wars- I just love the way MadDog interacted with the players and audience it just made me laugh out loud! morning radio just sucks right now. There are so many stations yet none are playing MadDog :( so I just flip channels constantly trying to find music I like. It really sucks!

April 18, 2015 @ 7:29 AM

Anonymous

It really isn't so much about Maddog as it is about not having any real talent left on morning radio any more. Really goes for every time slot now.

April 19, 2015 @ 1:00 AM

Mike in Burlington

I stopped listening to Blundell at least a year before he get canned, so the FAN hire didn't mean anything to me, but I know the move didn't entice me and my 51 year white male ears to listen for 1 minute more... the FAN can seek out all the 26 year old, bus riding, debt ridden, renting Leafs fans they want, but my mortgage is low, my student debts are long gone, my kids are done school and I don't listen to the morning show anymore, so who wins ??

April 24, 2015 @ 11:18 PM

Anonymous

I miss Maddog! I've tried to give that new Tucker guy a chance but he insists on singing that stupid 'Friday' song by Rebecca Black every week. That song was annoying when it first came out a few years ago and it definitely was never cool. Tucker tries to get Maura to sing along and you can hear it in her voice that even she doesn't want to participate in his "tradition" from his radio host days in London. I'm not even sure if people in London actually enjoyed it or were just trying to humor him. Just stop Tucker. Please. Try to get some actual personality for a change.

May 13, 2015 @ 10:00 AM

Rosie N

I've become frustrated with the constant format/on air personality changes in order to tap into a sliver of the audience.
I've been a Mad Dog listener for many years - when he was on KISS (I think- it was a number of years ago) , CHFI (!) to Virgin. I'm done with the the constant changes. podcasts while I commute from here on in.

June 9, 2015 @ 5:26 PM

Tara

I've completely stopped listening to Virgin. I gave the new guy a chance he didn't make me smile at all. Until I find out where Maddog is going, I've started listening to KISS FM, and am enjoying Roz and Mocha FAR more then the tucker guy....

June 19, 2015 @ 2:37 PM

Miss Mad Dog

I remember listening to Mad Dog and Billie and back when it was Kiss and it was awesome.. all of the sudden this Maura showed up and I couldn't stand it. I kept listening because I really liked Mad Dog.. but now that he's gone, I listen to 92.5 instead. They certainly lost a listener here!

June 24, 2015 @ 5:39 PM

mark potashin

Can not listen or watch Brady and Walker. Yes, it is a sports talk show, but they both Talk way too much. Where is the entertainment value ? tell the advertisers I won't listen to their commercials or purchase their products

August 11, 2015 @ 2:50 PM

Tristan Octoman

Have any of you heard of this new radio station called "Hits 93 Toronto"? They have like 100,000 followers on Twitter. I don't know if they're real or not, but I just wanted to hear what you guys have to say.

August 19, 2015 @ 4:58 PM