Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 108: Raina from Indie88

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 107: Elliotte FriedmanIn this 108th episode, Mike chats with Indie88 personality Raina about her years at 102.1 The Edge and CBC Radio and everything you wanted to know about Indie88 but were afraid to ask. This episode is exactly 1:10:47.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Mr. 905

In regards to indie 88 having a limited playlist after the soft launch: I found it interesting how during indie on demand with raina, people asked for "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes everyday. It really makes me think most people just want what they know. After the soft launch, I've transitioned to Alt Nation on SiriusXM for new alt-rock.

One other note on indie. They really improved after the soft launch on not teasing about a new artist or song and then playing something else. The banter does seem to be more tied to what they're actually playing now.

Great interview Mike!

January 28, 2015 @ 12:22 PM

Anon&on

Quick thought- Raina sounds great on the mic. Andrew should be pleased.

January 28, 2015 @ 12:35 PM

I only had to tell Raina once about getting on the mic (this was before we started recording) and she was awesome about it.

I actually didn't get to all my questions, so Raina is definitely coming back. It was all way too much fun.

January 28, 2015 @ 1:43 PM

Liz

I just love Raina - lots of fun in her voice. Another great instalment, Mike.

January 28, 2015 @ 3:23 PM

Sam in Pickering

Great fun! Raina was a great guest.

January 28, 2015 @ 4:01 PM

Andrew

I'm on my mobile and will post my full comments later, but I have to say I enjoyed listening to Raina speak - funny, if only she was aloud to do more of that on the station she works for.
Be back later.

Cheers,
Andrew

January 28, 2015 @ 5:05 PM

Andrew

Well... another good podcast Mike with another good guest. Yes, I was hoping for some actual answers regarding Indie 88, but I understand Raina can only say so much without getting her hand slapped for speaking out of school. I've ranted enough about what disappointed me so much with the station after their soft launch. I knew commercials were going to happen, etc, but what bothered me so much was their lack of diversity in their playlists and the number of repeats it was playing. I didn't want CFNY again, I wanted something different. I was hoping they were going to come into the Toronto market and make a statement. That's not what has happened. It has just become 'another' radio station with all the others. I've always believed that people are drawn to radio for two things: 1) the music they are interested in and 2) people. Every station plays the same damn music, i.e.: Sam Smith, but it's the stations personalities that keep me listening. I want the talent to talk about the artists I'm listening too, telling me things about that band or soloist that I wouldn't know. Sharing their love for the music their playing. Raina said something I found interesting in your chat where she said she 'loved the music she was playing.' That's great. I only wish the station gave her more than 30 secs or a minute to talk about why she loves it. I may be naive, or want to believe that radio should have a hand in making bands like they used to. In today's market do you think Barenaked Ladies or Lowest of the Low would ever have achieved the same level as they did back then if CFNY hadn't promoted them? Why shouldn't stations like Indie 88 still be involved in helping bands, especially local talent, achieve success?

Mike mentioned The Strumbella's - a band I think is fantastic and would never had heard of if I didn't see them open for The Low a few years back. Why? No one was playing them. Now, they'll get the odd spin and so forth, but shouldn't radio have a hand in that? Alan Cross talks about where is radio going these days a lot on his website and on the Geeks & Beats podcast with Michael Hainsworth and I think the same thing. What is going to keep people listening in the era of iPods and smartphones and streaming music? I think one aspect will be local, local, local.

Mike played a great clip with Maie Pautts where she went through all the club listings in a single hit... that was fantastic! Why couldn't that happen today? Why can't stations be local anymore?

Maybe I'm losing my train of thought after a long day of flying out to Corner Brook, NFLD and then Air Canada losing my bags (that's another story) but I guess in the end I was hoping for something different and I didn't get it. Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, maybe I'm not. Maybe it's a generational thing, I don't know, but in the end I'm not holding my breath.

Thank you to Raina for trying to answer my questions... all RTA'ers are a smart bunch. I'm glad Lori Becksted taught you well :)

Cheers,
Andrew

January 28, 2015 @ 9:47 PM

Anon&on

I was waiting for Andrew to post so I didn't have to peck out the same thing.

Indie has a mandate to promote local bands as part of their license. They've been doing that, but only at a level where a limited playlist with high spin count will allow. Bookie's late show seemed to be the only place to get a smattering of new music samples.
I haven't been monitoring the 88 playlist as closely lately, but I think they have reduced the number of songs in high rotation (every 4 hours). I was a little disappointed in Raina's 'balance and niche' response. That's the corporate mantra. I hope she's only repeating it, not living it. She sounds perceptive, quick, and direct.

One of the best things about Raina's twitter is an ongoing series that usually starts with "My boss ..." I'm guessing those were about Adam, they were a fun slice of behind the scenes. Good luck to Adam.
Hearing Raina thinking back to early in her career, 2010- holy crap, she's only been in radio for a few years. Pretty impressive resume so far, she's already built that one name recognition, worked with and beside some big names and big entities in music radio. Big voice too, still blown away by the quality of her sound.
Hope she comes back.

January 29, 2015 @ 11:05 AM

Andrew

Thanks Anon&on... I was waiting for your comments as well.
I agree with everything you said. I think when I'm off for a bit I'm going to listen again, and this time really listen, yak know?

It's lonely in Corner Brook!

Cheers,