Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 106: David Marsden

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 106: David MarsdenIn this 106th episode, Mike chats with broadcasting legend David Marsden about his years as David Mickie, his time at CHUM FM, the Spirit of Radio days at CFNY, his years at Iceberg and The Rock and his latest venture, NYthespirit.com. Tears are shed. This episode is exactly 1:45:39.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Keith

Legendary.

January 15, 2015 @ 5:15 PM

Here's the trailer for I Am What I Play:

January 15, 2015 @ 5:18 PM

Declan

Fantastic work, Mike.

David is absolutely spot on when he says you're very good at this. That 1:45 flew by. I think I'll listen again.

January 15, 2015 @ 5:21 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I'm gonna check this out either tonight or tomorrow morning. Unfortunately I never got to listen to Marsden in the CFNY days, but going by what I've heard over the years he's very interesting.

January 15, 2015 @ 8:41 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Your going to have to give up your day job Mike, just keeps getting better!
Marsden has a legacy that I don't think will ever be replicated in today's radio market. A lot of on air personalities owe him a huge debt of gratitude for the liberties he gave them.

January 15, 2015 @ 9:22 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Listenning as we speak. Great job Mike.

By the way Kiss 92.5 is owned by Rogers. Newcap owns Boom and Flo.

January 15, 2015 @ 11:26 PM

David Marsden

Thank you Mike - it was a wonderful couple of hours on a dreary January day. You made the sun come out for all of us.

Also thanks to all who have taken the time to write such nice words in the comments. Those words mean a lot.

david

January 16, 2015 @ 1:18 AM

Sammi

Loved this episode.

January 16, 2015 @ 6:15 AM

Liz

Looking forward to listening while on the way back to Pearson this afternoon. Downloaded and ready to go!

January 16, 2015 @ 8:52 AM

Andrew

Mike & David,

This is what long, format radio should be like. In-depth conversations that have an (I hate this word) organic flow to the chat. I never got to meet Mr. Marsden when I worked at 'NY, but I had heard a lot of great stories over the years. As Mike knows, I grew up in Brampton, just down the street from 83 Kennedy Rd south, but I knew where the little yellow house was and having an older brother helped me discover CFNY from the early 80's till now. I wish, after hearing about the CHUM days been old enough to appreciate FM in that era. A time where DJ's were simply not voices, but connected with their audiences in ways that aren't allowed to happen now. Perhaps internet radio will let that evolve.

Thank you again Mike. I thought Strombo was your best episode, but this one just hit all the right strings for someone who loves the medium and you can still hear the passion in David's voice when he speaks of it. I found it emotionally moving and I say thank you to both.

Cheers,
Andrew

PS: that episode was sonic gold too... the man knows how to work a microphone perfectly. warms the cockles of my heart!

January 16, 2015 @ 9:04 AM

Lyle Lanley

I didn't think you could top the Strombo interview, but this one might just do it. I can't believe how good this is.

Podcast, radio or television, this is the best interview you'll hear today.

January 16, 2015 @ 10:01 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Great episode Mike! Now I can't wait to see this documentary.

January 16, 2015 @ 4:31 PM

BJ

I got chills when Marsbar the post.

January 16, 2015 @ 4:46 PM

Anon&on

Outstanding. Back to back episodes, both fantastic. Both go to the top of the best of.
It is so frustrating to hear the answer to music radio, and to see radio running away from that.
I would have loved to hear his thoughts on programming, but so respect his position.

Great guest, I hope a lot of radio people listen. Great interview.

January 16, 2015 @ 5:13 PM

Rick2

Best ever!! The Toronto Mike'd bar has been set high! Great interview with an absolute legend! Playing that 1st clip about the write in campaign - wonderful! Thanks for sharing Mr Marsden!

January 16, 2015 @ 9:23 PM

Javed Jafri

Very Nice work !

I listened all the way through but may have missed a minute or two as I had to restart the podcast a few times but a great listen and will have to watch for David's tease at the end about a return to terrestrial radio.

David was trying to remember one of the other ( not mentioned in the podcast) characters who appeared on Pete and Geets. Perhaps Dan Durran who also did a lot of other work including voice overs for national TV.

January 17, 2015 @ 12:14 AM

Seanmicley

Thank you Mike for an excellent, in-depth interview with the Marsbar. It's great to see David getting the recognition (mention in the House of Commons, big screen documentary) that he so rightly deserves. Looking forward to many years of great music in the Marsden Theatre/NYtheSpirit.

January 17, 2015 @ 10:30 AM

Thank you all for the kind comments, especially you David. This was a very fun chat, I'm just glad we caught it all on tape!

@Javed Jafri

Dan Duran was good friends with Humble Howard Glassman, and came to CFNY to produce their show. That was well after the David Marsden and Pete and Geets era.

January 17, 2015 @ 11:14 AM

Javed Jafri

@Mike
Thanks for the correction about Dan Duran. I got the two great morning shows at CFNY confused.

January 17, 2015 @ 12:04 PM

CQ

Enjoyed the podcast. I'm glad that there is a new online project with Marsden now underway.
From a recent-to-me discovery of the Archive.org's site, I assumed Danny 'Marsdon' of 1940s Toronto, was a naming inspiration.

January 17, 2015 @ 12:06 PM

this guest

Building a ladder from Joni Mitchell to AC/DC.
Beautiful.
This is totally enjoyable.

January 19, 2015 @ 2:39 PM

JR

First heard him on CHUM-FM. It's too bad it's hard to find anything Dave Mickie online, except for a great soundbite I found. I know Marsden cared about what he did with CFNY.

July 19, 2016 @ 4:59 PM