Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 102.1: George Stroumboulopoulos

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 103In this 103rd episode, re-branded episode 102.1 by marketing, Mike chats with George Stroumboulopoulos about his years at The Fan 590, CFNY Edge 102, MuchMusic, CBC and his current gig at Hockey Night in Canada. There are laughs, tears, The Wire references and almost two hours of open and honest dialogue with Canada's boyfriend. Seriously, we cover everything, from how the death of Martin Streek affected his working relationship with Corus to how he ended up hosting a reality show on ABC and what happened to his CNN show. I even ask Strombo if he'd take Jian Ghomeshi's old hosting spot on Q. This episode is exactly 1:50:46.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

20141215_195314-2

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Andrew

@ Toronto Mike,

I've listened to every episode you've done and been lucky enough to talk on a few of them. I know in the past I've mentioned "this is your best one yet" or "great job" or some other compliment, but I'm honestly telling you this is your best podcast to date.

The job of any interviewer is to get the subject comfortable enough to open up and share with you and your listeners. I know this is not a paid job for you but a fascination with the people you bring on the podcast. I've read lots of articles on George, heard him on radio for years, watched The Hour and some painful times on Much, but you got him to open up and talk. Not promote something, or pretend, but to talk and my hats off to you.

I think we might have met once at some TV taping, but too be honest I don't think we spoke. My wife had the pleasure of interviewing him over dinner at the Metropolitan Hotel once when she was doing PR there a number of years ago. She has always said he was the nicest person she ever interviewed or had brought into the hotel for PR events and you can tell that in his voice and his responses he gives to you ( he's also a pro... can you hear that mic presence - makes this audio guy cry!)

Bravo, well done. You've been on a roll with your guests and I can't wait to hear the Dave Marsden and Maie Pauts episodes that are forthcoming.

The word's out man... people trust you. They know that when they come down to your basement to record in the Toronto Mic'd podcast studio they will be in safe hands and can open up without being judged or having their off-air stories announced to the world.

Should also say thank you to George for coming on if he reads this. As someone who works in TV on broadcasts that you host it was great to hear you talk - it's what great radio should be.

Cheers,

Andrew

December 21, 2014 @ 10:57 PM

Lyle Lanley

I agree with Andrew.

I've heard all 103 episodes and there are some exceptional ones, but this is the best.

December 21, 2014 @ 11:08 PM

BJ

Wow... excellent!

Strombo was offered Blundell's job on 102.1?!!?!?!?

December 21, 2014 @ 11:39 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Dude, definitely the best show so far. Hard to believe that was almost 2 hours. It flew by.

December 22, 2014 @ 1:24 AM

Vicky

I've listened twice now.

I'm going to listen a third time.

There's so much going on and it's all so good. This is fantastic.

December 22, 2014 @ 8:58 AM

Craig

Really enjoyed your chat with Strombo, Mike. Like I have many of your other sit-downs with Toronto radio royalty.

One favour to ask. For the love of The Clash, please STOP saying Streek's name as "Mar-DIN."

Sorry for the nitpick. :)

December 22, 2014 @ 9:32 AM

@Craig

Next you'll tell me it's TOR-ON-TO instead of TOR-ON-O!

December 22, 2014 @ 9:35 AM

Al Reda

So this guy talks all about The Fan, Edge 102, CBC, Bob Cole and The Wire. Mike, did you just interview yourself?

All kidding aside, this was as awesome as everyone says it is. And as much as I've liked many previous episodes, I don't think anything beat this one. Strombo was gracious and honest and the ideal guest for your style.

December 22, 2014 @ 9:41 AM

Sam in Pickering

Best. Episode. Ever.

I'll consider this an early Festivus gift. Thanks!

December 22, 2014 @ 10:54 AM

Sam in Pickering

And Mike, on the podcast you guys mentioned that Strombo is 2 years older than you. In the pic above, he looks a decade older than you.

December 22, 2014 @ 10:55 AM

Jason C

Way to go Mike, nice job!!
Merry Christmas to you and all your readers/listeners!

December 22, 2014 @ 11:23 AM

Oscar

great conversation.

Wish I could have asked you to ask him if he had ever gone to a boney m concert with jim richards....

As well, I was expecting some stories about his mad playboy lifestyle.. not quite howard stern enough..:)

December 22, 2014 @ 11:26 AM

@Oscar

I called an audible at the line of scrimmage. :)

December 22, 2014 @ 11:35 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Great job Mike. I really enjoyed the episode and as expected, Strombo delivered the goods.

December 22, 2014 @ 3:50 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Would've been interesting if Strombo got Blundell's gig taking over for H and F. What could've happened lol. We'll obviously never know. Strombo in the morning though? Would've been cool I think.

December 22, 2014 @ 3:52 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

In 2003 George filled in for Blundell for a week. I listened and wrote about it.

Strombo would have been a great morning show host.

December 22, 2014 @ 3:59 PM

Anonymous

This is the ongoing history of radio and television in this city.

You have to listen to this.

December 22, 2014 @ 4:33 PM

markosaar

Glad you worked your way up to Strombo. It was a really professional and natural-sounding chat. The only moment of unchecked fanboy-gushing I heard was you realised he was a Wire fan too ;)

December 22, 2014 @ 5:33 PM

Lynne

Great podcast, Mike. I think it helped that you weren't over-prepared. It flowed beautifully.

It's playing for the second time today so my husband can hear it too. I knew he would really relate to a lot of it, especially concerning baseball games on The Fan 590. He still prefers to follow games that way.

Strombo's story about a certain cast member of The Wire and what happened after his show on Emmy night is great! Love it!

Sadly, Toronto radio ended for me in the 70s. My life took me to Vancouver in the 80s and early 90s. However, I knew a couple of the Morning Zoo personalities through a friend who was married to one of them. Radio people are very entertaining, both on and off the air. Lots of fun memories.

December 22, 2014 @ 8:21 PM

Jeremy

Brilliant Strombo podcast!

It's funny that some of the best "radio" is just a guy in his basement.

December 23, 2014 @ 11:15 AM

George

Really enjoyed this @torontopodcast conversation. Covered much ground. Media, criticism, skinny pants 🔥 EPISODE 102.1 http://t.co/lPIfQwd2VT

— Stroumboulopoulos (@strombo) December 23, 2014
December 23, 2014 @ 1:36 PM

Names dropped in this episode:

John Kordic
Sidney Crosby
Wayne Gretzky
John C. McGinley
Jimmy Key

December 23, 2014 @ 1:43 PM

Jason from Sudbury

What ever happened to Vishna anyway?

December 23, 2014 @ 1:55 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

I had to ninja edit my spelling. It's actually Visnja.

I don't believe she's on the air right now, but she does do voiceover work.

December 23, 2014 @ 2:01 PM

Michele M

I listened to this episode after George tweeted it and I just want to thank you both for this amazing two hours.

Great blog, too. :)

December 23, 2014 @ 4:34 PM

Anon&on

The Byron Wong/ Miracle on 34th moment had me nodding and shaking my head at the same time.
Basia Bulat - that was great!

December 23, 2014 @ 8:02 PM

Jason Patterson

Looks like you two crawled out of a Tim Burton movie.

December 24, 2014 @ 9:58 AM

Amy

Fuck man, is there an award for best Toronto podcast episode of the year?

I listen to A LOT of podcasts. This shit is gold.

Awesome job!

December 24, 2014 @ 11:11 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Finally got some time to listen to this episode. Just like you and George the time went by so quickly, awesome interview. I'm biased as I am a big fan of Strombo, (and of course To Mike ), always wanted to go down and see an episode of the Hour/Strombo show

December 29, 2014 @ 6:56 PM

Dawn

End of the holiday season and finally had time to listen to you and Strombo. It was worth the wait! Excellent podcast, one of the best. I have always liked Strombo but this elevated him higher in my fandom land. The interview was so real and honest. You both spoke from the heart and Strombo's professional integrity shone through. Wear those skinny pants and earrings George 'cause haters just gonna hate!

January 2, 2015 @ 8:10 PM

Anonymous

Awesome!

January 3, 2015 @ 11:56 AM

mrmojorisinca

That was really good! thanks!

January 24, 2015 @ 10:59 AM