Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 102: Scot Turner

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 102In this 102nd episode, Mike chats with Spirit of Radio Sunday host Scot Turner about his many years on CFNY and Energy 108, what's next for Spirit of Radio Sunday on Edge 102 and why he keeps changing the spelling of his first name. This episode is exactly 1:03:26.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

markosaar

Half way through but this is so great.

I'd basically forgotten how obsessed I was with 102 growing up, and how much it contributed to my identity.

I did listen to Spirit of Radio Sundays when it started up, and would obsessively check the tracks played when I had to miss it, but the awful commercials have driven me away again.

Scot sounds so much more awake and excited on your podcast. He always sounds a bit exhausted/hungover to me on his show ha.

December 17, 2014 @ 12:11 PM

Declan

You both sound brilliant in this episode. So informative and entertaining.

Thank you for this. I don't believe there's anything like this available in Toronto. It really is "this is your life" for "the big smoke".

December 17, 2014 @ 1:24 PM

markosaar

PS: I think the term Scot was looking for, re: middle-aged guys kitted-out and with $5000-10000+ bikes is, "Freds". Most closely-associated with dentists however.

December 17, 2014 @ 6:01 PM

Sam in Pickering

Great episode... keep it up!

December 17, 2014 @ 7:05 PM

Liz

@Markosaar

Hey, if you like this episode that much then I know I will love it. I'll have to carve out a little time later tonight. These monster hills in San Fran are doing me in so this content will do just the trick.

SO easy to see why this place is the birthplace of Uber. Necessity is the mother of invention. I can tell you there's not one overweight person in this city - just not possible. I'm not kidding either. It's ridiculous.

December 17, 2014 @ 7:48 PM

Andrew

Scot Turner had a huge impact on me as teen growing up in Brampton and falling into a job that turned into a career. I was so happy that he agreed to talk about his time at NY and what he's doing now with Spirit of Sunday... I used to tag along with him to club dates and learn about dj'ing and how to mix on turntables and taught me the ropes when it came to radio. I really owe my choice to go to Ryerson to take RTA to his influence and I will forever be grateful.

I hope people really enjoy this podcast... I only wish I could have been there for the taping instead of being stuck in Yorkton, SK!,

Thanks for letting me have a sneak peak Mike. It lifted my spirits after 8 of 13 days on the road.

Cheers,
Andrew

December 17, 2014 @ 9:38 PM

Liz

@Andrew

You're a good guy. Nice comments.

December 17, 2014 @ 10:11 PM

Andrew

Thanks Liz,

It's all sincere. I really owe a lot of what I'm doing professionally to Scot. He allowed me to absorb so much about radio by just shadowing around him. I was such a sponge back then and he was willing to share.

Cheers,
Andrew

December 18, 2014 @ 12:40 PM

Irv

Scott. Please play "You Move Me" from Comsat Angels. I mean that's CFNY yo.

December 18, 2014 @ 10:18 PM

Anon&on

I was really looking forward to this episode, and although I did enjoy hearing Scot, I am left extremely frustrated.
Frustrated with the lack of progress in music radio, frustrated that I didn't hear Scot talk about what could be for radio. Really disappointed that Scot didn't talk about a Saturday that uses new music in the style of the classic Sunday.
CFNY is the legend that it is because it was different from other radio. Everyone on air was about the music they were playing, you couldn't hear that music anywhere else, and yet that music was it, that was the cutting edge of popular music.
I can't figure out why someone isn't doing the exact same thing today. That new music is still there, there's still cutting edge that people want to hear, there's still nowhere to hear it (in one place) effortlessly by switching on the radio. All the surveys say that all age groups still listen to radio in the car.
Everything is streaming, streaming, streaming with infinite selection. But what is every streaming service doing? They are creating playlists, curated playlists. They are advertising 'music experts' curating playlists for you. THAT'S WHAT RADIO LIKE CFNY WAS DOING!!!!!!! On air talent gained your trust through their expertise and introduced you to new music and let you know what was coming up here and around the world.
Nothing has changed. Young people don't get their music from radio because radio isn't giving them their music, isn't interested in music. Music on radio today is the space between the ads.
Every music article I read ends up talking about 'the most' , 'the biggest'. Data shows 'the most' the 'biggest'.

Interested to hear Maie Pauts.

December 19, 2014 @ 8:44 PM

@Anon&on

I've got David Marsden coming in soon as well.

And Strombo and I talked a lot of radio. That episode will be available Monday.

December 20, 2014 @ 12:06 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Great episode Mike. Didn't realize how much I probably listened to Scot, as his time frame there was when I first started listening to CFNY, around 1984. Still remember waiting for the release of Howard Jones latest album somewhere around 1984/85, suspect Scot might remember this.

December 21, 2014 @ 5:17 PM