It's Time I Jinx Our Teams Again

Of course, I'm kidding with that title. There's no such thing as a jinx. There's nothing I can say or write on this blog that will have any effect on our professional sports teams.

I catch every Leafs and Raptors game I can, and lately, it's been pure joy. The Leafs are 9-1-1 since getting hammered by Nashville. The Raptors have been hot all season, now 19-6, good for first place in the Eastern Conference.

I'm so jazzed about how well my teams are playing, I'm documenting this moment for posterity. Here are your red hot Raptors leading the East.

Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 1.51.45 PM

And here are your red hot Leafs, winners of 5 in a row.

Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 1.52.33 PM

Good times...

elvis

I don't like you.

December 16, 2014 @ 2:40 PM

Argie

If the Leafs were a stock, I would be shorting it now. Thanks, to Mike.

December 16, 2014 @ 2:55 PM

Raptors Devotee

The Raptors host he Nets tonight who they should beat, exacting some playoff revenge for last year, then play at the 5-20 Pistons, then host the 5-21 Knicks. There is an excellent chance we will be 22-6 before heading out on our killer 6-game road trip at the Bulls, Clippers, Nuggets, Trail Blazers, Warriors, and Suns. I would be ecstatic if we go 3-3 on that trip, so if you can redo this again, at least from the Raptors standpoint, before we head to Chicago, it would be appreciated.

For the Leafs, I am a Habs fan, and see that they are neck and neck with them. The real test will be how the Leafs perform near the end of the season, when they have shown a history of collapsing in the standings and right out of the playoffs. They are though giving themselves a nice comfort zone so they can afford a few losing streaks and still make the playoffs.

December 16, 2014 @ 3:07 PM

Cheryl

Well, I need my Nets to win and my Suns to win. I am losing in my pool badly. I am doing great in my football pool, but not my basketball pool. Nobody wants a hockey pool. Can't the Raptors cool off. One guy has the Raptors and Clippers in the pool and he's so far ahead of me. It's awful.

December 16, 2014 @ 4:38 PM

Speysidephil

And if the Leafs lose tonight?
Thanks a lot MIKE!

December 16, 2014 @ 4:49 PM

@Speysidephil

If the Leafs lose tonight, it would have happened even if I hadn't posted this entry.

December 16, 2014 @ 4:58 PM

Raptors Devotee

Just realized the Raptors host the Nets tomorrow night, while Brooklyn plays tonight themselves hosting Miami, so we get them on a Back-To-Back situation, so yeah, I fully expect us to win the next three games.

December 16, 2014 @ 5:07 PM

Blind Dave

Rock on, Mike! Cue the Leaf swoon to start within a week or two.

Don't care about basketball. I watch my kid play, that's about it.

December 16, 2014 @ 9:27 PM

@Blind Dave

My oldest son is playing his first season of house league basketball and I'm loving coming out to his games.

December 16, 2014 @ 9:29 PM

Oh, and you can all apologize for suggesting I'd jinx the Leafers tonight.

6-2 win over the Ducks!

December 16, 2014 @ 10:27 PM

Blind Dave

@TO Mike

I love watching the kids play sports. They put so much heart & soul into their games. And give credit to the men & women who volunteer as coaches, refs, and other support roles.

Mike, the swoon will not happen NOW, so no apology. It takes time for it to steep in, like a great cup of tea. The train is coming, baby...

December 17, 2014 @ 8:17 AM

Speysidephil

I apologize Mike, I don't think we will see the collapse this year.

December 17, 2014 @ 8:29 AM

James Edgar

I hear a LOT of angst about the imminent leafs collapse on the radio but there are signs that some of this group at least have matured.

Playing More lines has probably going to have a better effect on energy levels in March/ April too i think.

For me I'm enjoying the winning while it lasts :)

December 17, 2014 @ 10:14 AM

Cheryl

My Nets lost last night. That's no good. That was awful and yes, it's a back to back. I need my Nets to win. Can't the Raptors ever lose. Well, my Habs played a great game last night. My Coyotes won as well. I feel like dropping out of the basketball pool. I'm doing lousy in it.

December 17, 2014 @ 11:13 AM

Douglas

What really jumped out at me was seeing only one team in the conference with more goals scored. I was about to say you can't be a winner if you don't score more goals, but then you see Florida on the next line below the Leafs. Florida is obviously squeaking out wins, and getting blown away when they lose. We'll see how long Florida stays put, too, with their owner trying to extort (more) money from the local taxpayer to cover his losses. Move the team, yes. Qu├ębec City or Hamilton are decent bets - certainly better than having an NHL team in south Florida.

December 17, 2014 @ 11:17 AM

@Cheryl

Here's a tip. Pick your teams with your head, not your heart.

Every April I host a playoff pool, and back when the Leafs actually made the playoffs, I had to be sure not to draft my Leafs simply because they're my team.

December 17, 2014 @ 11:18 AM

Big win by the Raptors last night over the Nets. No jinx here!

December 18, 2014 @ 10:58 AM

And here's how awful things were in Toronto sports a decade ago: http://www.torontomike.com/2004/12/the_lowest_of_the_low.html

December 18, 2014 @ 10:59 AM

Sammi

It took a day, but the Mike jinx on the Leafs lives. They are 1 and 3 after you wrote this entry.

December 22, 2014 @ 6:18 AM

@Sammi

Yet the Raptors remain impervious!

December 22, 2014 @ 9:58 AM