Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 95: Ash from USS

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 95In this 95th episode, Mike chats with Ash, lead singer and songwriter for Ubiquitious Synergy Seeker, about the band, the music, Martin Streek and Ash's restless mind. This episode is exactly 34:09.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

20141105_100702

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Bailey Y

Fantastic podcast Mike. Loved that you brought up roofing with Ash because I come from a roofing family and never got that insight on how it can be used as an outlet for energy.

November 5, 2014 @ 12:06 PM

@Bailey Y

I need a new roof... your family and Ash can bid for the gig!

When I heard Ash was roofing at 6am I thought it was a joke. The man has boundless energy.

November 5, 2014 @ 12:57 PM

USS Fan

Big Ash fan here.

This is the best interview I've ever heard with him.

Thank you!

November 5, 2014 @ 2:12 PM

Lyle Lanley

Great chat. I'm now seeking out USS Music.

November 5, 2014 @ 5:10 PM

Sharon

Enjoyed this very much. You asked Ash some great questions and I like that it was pretty much done from a fan's perspective. Been listening to these guys for years now (and attending their shows) and never been disappointed. Ash has a brilliant mind. People like him are few and far between.

Thanks for sharing this Mike!

November 5, 2014 @ 8:33 PM

Sharon

Oh & loved how you brought up Martin Streek. It's interesting..the way Ash spoke of him, one could easily speak of Ash in the same manner

November 5, 2014 @ 8:38 PM

Eekan Boo

Welcome to Toronto Mike'd, a weekly podcast . . .

Relax people, I kid, I tease.

Mike, your interviews are fun and informative, a great perspective, so different from the industry standard.

The Ed the Sock podcast was extraordinary, he's a very intelligent and insightful guy.

Have not yet listened to #95, expect good things.

November 5, 2014 @ 8:47 PM

Michael Z

You have a deal where you pilfer all of Humble&Fred's guests right after they're on the show? H&F made reference to it last night LOL

November 6, 2014 @ 8:31 AM

@Michael Z

I missed that reference.

Humble and Fred have never sent a guest my way. Ever.

There's one instance where a guest did their show and then did my show right after, and that happened yesterday. But I had been working with Ash's PR person for months on that, and Ash and I have a mutual friend who vouched for me. Humble and Fred did not send Ash over.

November 6, 2014 @ 9:04 AM

don't get it

Maybe I am too old for the references, but I heard Ash on H&F on Tuesday and I thought he was a bit of a wacko. "Jellyfish around his heart"? Really?

November 6, 2014 @ 10:05 AM

@don't get it

Having spent some time with Ash I can confirm the man is unique. He's very creative, and the synapses are always firing. There's no way that's going to be everyone's cup of tea. Some of what he says is pretty damn abstract.

H+F had him co-host, so essentially he was another voice while they shot the shit. My episode was very different. I had specific questions about the rise of USS, certain song lyrics and questions about licensing Yin Yang and his relationship with his father.

I don't think he's a wacko, he just sees things a little differently than the rest of us.

November 6, 2014 @ 10:13 AM

Rob

Great show. I thought it was well balanced between chatting, interviewing and being a fan. Fans have better questions. Thanks for pushing to get him on the show.

@don't get it - I'm a big fan of USS, and I'll be honest, I didn't get them either at first. They're weird. But they're different in a good way. I like listening to Ash because he says stuff like a hot girl sounds like a bowling strike. A true artist.

November 6, 2014 @ 8:48 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Bet James was ecstatic to find out he was coming over for a chat. Excellent acoustic performance at H&F shindig.

November 7, 2014 @ 7:05 AM

markosaar

I am not at all a fan of USS, but was really surprised by how much I enjoyed that interview. I even debated skipping it. I'm going to have to give their music another shot.

November 7, 2014 @ 6:47 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@markasaar, check out Wednesdays H&F podcast, Ash co hosts, not to take away from Mikes great interview. Real interesting and eclectic guy. Boundless energy ge has!

November 7, 2014 @ 10:39 PM

Jason from Sudbury

To be honest I'm not a USS fan but I did enjoy that enterview.

November 8, 2014 @ 7:02 PM