James Garner, Dead at 86

James GarnerJames Garner was 86. His whimsical style in the 1950s TV Western MaverickĀ led to a stellar career in TV and films such as The Rockford FilesĀ and his Oscar-nominated Murphy's Romance.

Rocky

Sad news indeed.I hope one of the many specialty channels I am forced to take but never ever watch steps up and runs an all day Rockford marathon.
It was a very quweky show for it's time.

July 20, 2014 @ 10:51 AM

McNulty

I first discovered him in The Great Escape. I can't think of a role I didn't like him in.

Rest in Peace, James.

July 20, 2014 @ 8:05 PM

CQ

@Rocky
MeTV has The Rockford Files every weekday at noon (after Love Boat and Mod Squad, lol) during their Summer schedule. Cozi TV has Maverick within its listings. Both channels, as well as others within the retro genre are available, locally from Buffalo, as over-the-air subchannels.
MeTV often puts together a deceased actor's tribute marathon for the following Sunday.

July 20, 2014 @ 11:53 PM

James Edgar

Sad news I loved the rockford files as a kid. :(

In other Sad news Johnny Winter Blues and Rock Guitarist extraordinaire and emmy winning producer of Muddy Waters last three albums Died July 16th at age 70.

July 21, 2014 @ 9:28 AM

James Edgar

Opps I meant Grammy not emmy winning. Doh!

July 21, 2014 @ 9:29 AM

Ajax Mike

This hit me a little harder than I would have expected. I watched the hell out of Rockford reruns back when they were on A&E, and I always enjoyed Mr. Garner in the movies. I remember watching Support Your Local Sherrif on TV with my Dad. Fun little film, and I was highly amused at Col. Potter being somewhere other than M*A*S*H. The finger in the gun scene was classic.

July 21, 2014 @ 10:05 AM

CQ

@Ajax Mike
I've been enjoying the contrast of Harry Morgan (Col. Potter) this month. At 7 p.m., he's on MeTV with M*A*S*H. Also at 7 p.m. he is on Throwback Television (56.2) either with the sitcom December Bride, or its funnier spinoff (with an added missing wife character) Pete and Gladys. During P&G, a few old-time commercials have been re-broadcast as well!
Then Morgan re-appears during late evenings during a Dragnet triple play. Original Dragnet runs at 11:30 (Throwback), midnight (TCT-Kids), then the late 60s revival with Morgan at 12:30 via MeTV. The Adam-12 spinoff follows at 1:00 a.m.

On Pete and Gladys, Morgan at times will out-Klinger, Corporal Klinger :)
However, this thread is for Garner, R.I.P.

July 21, 2014 @ 4:59 PM

Geoff

"This is Jim Rockford. At the tone leave your name and message, I'll get back to you."

July 23, 2014 @ 12:03 PM

Geoff

Apparently he did all of his own stunt driving.

July 23, 2014 @ 12:16 PM