I Prefer a Push Mower

I Prefer a Push MowerI own a home with both a front lawn and a back lawn, and I cut this lawn with a manual push reel mower.

My mom recently had her yards landscaped so they don't have grass anymore, so she gave me her electric mower. I used it exactly once before returning to my push mower. I prefer the manual mower for a few reasons.

• It feels more like exercise - it's a mini-workout
  • I don't incur hydro charges - it saves me money
  • It saves precious natural resources and cuts down on pollution

What's your preferred lawn mower: push mower, electrical or gas-powered?

Jamie

I cut my grass with a Gas mower then move on to use my Gas trimmer and finally I blow all the grass trimmings away with my Gas leaf blower.

July 7, 2014 @ 2:56 PM

Andrew

I have a 65x180 lots.
I have a Toro Super Recycler. A push mower would take me about 4 hours to do my lot.

I had a push mower for my old house, but my grass was only 3x5 :)

Cheers,
Andrew

July 7, 2014 @ 3:03 PM

Different Andrew

I used to use a push mower, but have moved to a larger lot. I prefer electric over gas.

July 7, 2014 @ 3:05 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I use gas with it's built in Mulcher. My neighbour uses a push mower, but when it gets deep he borrows mine as we sit on 50x115 lots, deep grass nearly causes him to have a stroke. Given this year that the clover has taken over 60-70% of my lawn, I might opt to use a lot of mulch and perenniels to fix it, instead of replanting sod.

July 7, 2014 @ 3:09 PM

Argie

My lawn is too big for a push mower - and by "too big" I mean its bigger than 10' x 10 '.

July 7, 2014 @ 3:38 PM

Ryan P

I have an electric mower - key point is I only use it on the weekend when its sunny out so the Solar energy I'm generating is powering it.

Zero emissions - except for the grass the mower cuts

July 7, 2014 @ 3:49 PM

Lyle Lanley

How many emissions are released when grass is cut?

July 7, 2014 @ 4:41 PM

Michael Z

Funny, i've turned into you. I used to have an electric mower, it went on the fritz last summer so I got it repaired under warranty. Again this summer it dies on me, so I said screw it and bought a Fiskars push mower. I love it, never going back for all the reasons you mentioned.

July 7, 2014 @ 4:49 PM

Gump

Oh, in my old "rural" days I had a beauty Kubota riding mower/tractor with a wicked turning radius and a cup holder for my Coors Light.
Now my lot (25'x125') is so small my retired neighbour cuts it for me with a scythe for all I know.

July 7, 2014 @ 5:24 PM

andrew

Actually I have a goat & take her out once a week for a good feeding. The neighbor's kids just love it - LOL.

Use a push lawn mower when the sun & heat is not that bad, but otherwise an electric with mulch capabilities, so no clean up.

Gotta take my pet out for a walk now as she did her job Saturday.

July 7, 2014 @ 5:42 PM

Corey

Gas powered Honda mover with a mulching blade. I moved to a new house a year and a half ago. I could get away with a push mower. I keep telling myself I will as soon as the gas powered dies, but Honda makes quality engines. This ones over 10 years old and still going strong.

July 7, 2014 @ 5:48 PM

Speysidephil

49 Ford Tractor 9N and a 24 HP John Deere. Love it, the more emissions the better!

July 7, 2014 @ 6:41 PM

Brian

I don't think electric mowers produce any emissions (Black and Decker anyway), and cost pennies in electricity to use, but at least you sound like your living green which is all the matters right?

July 7, 2014 @ 10:10 PM

Corey

Oh brother. Yes, those 10 hours per year I run my gas-powered mower are wreaking absolute havoc.

July 8, 2014 @ 8:05 AM

@Corey

Reason #1 is more than enough for me to continue.

July 8, 2014 @ 8:16 AM

Corey

@Mike - and that's awesome. Of course you should continue. Like I said, I'll join you one day. I'm just not throwing out a functional mower, especially not to be seen as "green".

July 8, 2014 @ 8:20 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Corey - Exactly! Throwing out a perfectly functioning mower would be lees green than using a push one! No sarcasm...I agree completely.

That being said, I'm with Mike, but that's only because I didn't see the need to buy a gas/electric mower when I can bang my front and back lawn off with a push mower in about half an hour (I live in a town house...not much in the way of lawns)

July 8, 2014 @ 8:42 AM

4x4 Time

I will ask my wife what she uses...

July 8, 2014 @ 8:47 AM

James Edgar

Push Mowers are better for the grass more environmentally friendly, ,give you more of a workout and have that awesome whirring sound.

Win all the way round I'd say :)

Especially the sound.

It is a city thing though. most suburban lots are just too big. I hate electric with cords so I had a Gss mower out in pickering.

I would have gone electric battery but everyone I knew that had one had problems and i got my gas mower free :)

July 8, 2014 @ 10:27 AM

Gump

@4x4

Ha!

As someone who lives in a so-called "rich" neighbourhood and work at home 1/2 the time, I hate, hate, hate the leaf blowers. I can stand the lawn mowers because the time they are used is limited (as well as the area they are used in), but the leaf blower guys know no limits. They walk everywhere blowing crap everywhere. Is there a more useless device?

July 8, 2014 @ 10:37 AM

mrmojorisinca

I use a Push Mower..but an electric trimmer

July 8, 2014 @ 10:52 AM

Aurora Bob

It would be interesting to see how much the hydro cost of an electric lawn mower is over the span of a year.

My Cub Cadet gas-powered mower is very frugal on gasoline. I use it weekly for about an hour a time. I need to fill the little gas tank once every other time, and then it's not empty. I have a 5 gallon jerry can that I use for the lawn mower and the gas-powered snow blower. I usually have to fill it once every two years (I put a shot of stabilizer in it when I buy it). If I had to refill the jerry can now, it would cost me just over $31. $31 over 24 months seems like a small amount of money to me.

July 8, 2014 @ 3:15 PM

Cambo

I have a push-mower too. However you need to mow the lawn every 4-5 days in the growing season. Any longer and the push mower just can't get through it. For this reason, I use the push mower in the front and the gas in the back. Nothing stops a gas mower. Electric drove me nuts as a kid because of the damn cord; battery-powered is useless (although I have a lithium-powered trimmer which I love). Gas trimmers are a huge PITA for a small lot. I've yet to find a push-trimmer ;)

Push mower is also much better for the grass as it slices the blade, rather than chop. You'll notice the tips aren't brown a few days after you mow which encourages better growth.

July 9, 2014 @ 7:58 AM

Mark H

I used a push mower the first 2 or 3 seasons on my lawn, but I started to get diminishing returns as the blade dulled and the sharpening kits did not really work. I have a modest 19x104 lot on a semi detached with a steepish hill. I was going to go rechargable battery mower, but the price point for one that would actually do the job was too high.

Ultimately I went gas. I get the environmental argument, but I use at most 3-5 litres of gas a summer so ultimately the impact is minimal

July 9, 2014 @ 9:43 AM

Anonymous

LOL@4x4

Have had the same gas mower for probably 10 years (maybe longer). Love it. Get's the job done quickly and only have a little sweep up after. The noise it makes is mostly what bothers me, but oh well. I probably use less than 5 litres a year. The leaf blowers are really annoying. They just make a big mess. I've been tempted to call Mayor Ford to help me with the neighbours whose landscapers just blow all the dirt to our side while I take the time to sweep everything up. If everyone would just sweep around their properties the whole city would be a lot cleaner. I just don't understand why some people leave grass clippings on their front sidewalks.

July 9, 2014 @ 11:31 PM

cuters

i totally agree with you push mowers are the best

October 5, 2014 @ 11:06 AM