My 5 Favourite Quotes About Cycling

John F. Kennedy

"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride."

kennedy

Ernest Hemingway

"It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best."

hemingway

Albert Einstein

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving."

Quote-Typography-Poster-by-NeueGraphic

Arthur Conan Doyle

"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

doyle

H.G. Wells

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle I no longer despair for the future of the human race."

wells

Blind Dave

Great words from five heavyweights.

I can still cycle in safe surroundings, though I don't dare on the streets anymore.

Thanks for posting that, Mike. :)

July 28, 2014 @ 8:14 PM

Corey

Abraham Lincoln

"The problem with quotes published on the internet is that they're rarely authentic."

July 28, 2014 @ 9:03 PM

@Corey

Is that your annoying and smug way of suggesting these aren't authentic? I believe all five are legit.

July 28, 2014 @ 9:07 PM

this guest

Great quotes. Love the feeling they create.

July 28, 2014 @ 9:18 PM

Corey

@Mike -

Sorry - I'm a natural curmudgeon, and I always question the authenticity of stuff like this. The Hemingway one, and the Conan-Doyle ones should be super easy to verify, but it's not just about these particular ones - there's tons of quotes trotted all the time, sent around in annoying emails, or people's signatures that are either completely fake or mis-attributed. I need verifiable sources, not just quotes and a name.

Just to be a complete curmudgeon, I'll also point out the one Einstein supposedly said isn't even about biking (except to point out the rather obvious fact that you'll fall over if you stop moving), it's about life.

July 28, 2014 @ 10:06 PM

@Corey

No doubt you have a smart ass retort for everything, but you might want to try showing some restraint now and then.

I'm well aware Einstein was talking about life using cycling as a metaphor. Pointing that out adds absolutely no value.

July 28, 2014 @ 10:14 PM

this guest

just to be a nitpicker -
Einstein's simile about the bicycle is actually an analogy between
riding a bike and life -
so the bicycle itself is an integral part of his statement -
thus cycling
is referenced as a 'state or way of being.'

July 28, 2014 @ 10:20 PM

Corey

@Mike -

Sheesh, for someone who seems to embrace logic and clear-headed thinking, you sure got pissy at the notion that these quotes might not be completely accurate. My comment was originally intended as a light-hearted jab (it's not like it had been a meme for about 10 years or anything). I'll try practicing some restraint whenever the topic is near and dear to you heart.

July 28, 2014 @ 10:41 PM

@Corey

After 1,189 humourless comments from you in succession, you'll forgive me if I missed the humour in this one.

July 28, 2014 @ 10:48 PM

Corey

@ Mike
Hey, I guess we can't all bring the funny as consistently as you (ahem).

1,189? Is that true? That's 1 comment per day, every day for 3.25 years. I really need to get a life. You'll be happy to know I've cut way back on my participation here. I'll keep working on that.

July 28, 2014 @ 11:34 PM

Corey

Ta-da! Two verified.

“It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.”
― Ernest Hemingway, By-Line: Selected Articles and Dispatches of Four Decades

The Arthur Conan Doyle one comes from an 1896 issue of Scientific American (credited to Dr. Conan Doyle).

The other three - no luck.

July 29, 2014 @ 8:22 AM

Philly-Bob

"What?!?!?!...we own a car company now??? That is Awesome!!!!"
- Rob Ford

"Um...Rob...we don't own Ford Motors...Ford is actually a really common last name..." - Doug Ford

July 29, 2014 @ 8:40 AM

@Corey

Please do.

And the count is all comments by a "Corey". I didn't bother to check whether they were all from you.

July 29, 2014 @ 9:05 AM

Douglas

Two Italian nuns are riding their rickety old bikes down the back streets of Rome late one afternoon. It starts getting dark and the two nuns are getting a little nervous. One leans over to the other and says, "You know, I've never come this way before." The other nun says, "It's the cobblestones."

July 29, 2014 @ 10:33 AM

Geoff

Why should anyone steal a watch when he could steal a bicycle? ~Flann O'Brien

July 29, 2014 @ 10:41 AM

Aurora Bob

"You stopped playing with kids' toys a long time ago. Grow up, get a car."

Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear - BBC 2014

July 29, 2014 @ 11:27 AM

Douglas

@Toronto Mike - Perfect. Thanks.

@Aurora Bob - Yet this is the very same Jeremy Clarkson who actually went out and bought a bicycle not too long ago. Mind you, despite all the cell ("mobile" in the UK) phone cameras out there, nobody has yet managed to snap a photo of Jezza actually on his bicycle.

When I went to McMaster University, I got my bicycle to and from wherever I was living in Hamilton that year by cycling from my home in the York Mills and Leslie area. Once I got down to the lake, the ride was great. My bicycle was my main transportation while I was Mac. I still have that bicycle. It's a really good touring bicycle with custom gearing, but I am starting to get concerned about for how much longer I will be able to buy 27" x 1¼" touring tires.

July 29, 2014 @ 12:02 PM