Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 76: Greg Brady

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 76In this 76th episode, Mike and Elvis chat with Greg Brady, morning show host at The Fan 590. He talks about working in Detroit, working at AM640, his move to The Fan 590 and why it didn't work out with Jim Lang. This episode is exactly 1:25:20.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

elvis

That was fun.

May 14, 2014 @ 4:22 PM

JP

Interesting insight on his split with Jim Lang.

Greg's a great host. But, I do feel their show is too quick. Like speed talking from topic to topic, then throwing to traffic etc. I liked Brady a bit more when he could take his time.

May 14, 2014 @ 8:21 PM

Gary

I don't like Brady's new co-host on the Fan. I barely listen to it now.

May 14, 2014 @ 10:10 PM

@Gary

Did you get a chance to listen yet?

Brady talking about why Jim Lang had to go is pretty compelling stuff.

May 14, 2014 @ 10:17 PM

CQ

The TV 'Greg Brady' (Barry Williams) just had a new promo spot at MeTV. In it he is shown as a child actor guest-starring upon a number of TV series - all of which are carried by MeTV.
The here, there, and everywhere style of the above posting reminds me of this.

May 15, 2014 @ 10:17 AM

Gary

Mike, I finally listened to the whole thing and it is quite compelling. I know I am only one person, but I do not hear the chemistry between Greg and Andrew. They both sound similar to me in their approach. I much prefer Greg and I thought he and Lang had more chemistry.

May 15, 2014 @ 10:35 AM

Argie

I'm listening now and it sounds great but its taking forever to get to what happened to Lang.

May 15, 2014 @ 1:50 PM

@Argie

I think it's around the 48 minute mark.

May 15, 2014 @ 2:07 PM

Anon&on

I'm on record as not being a big Brady fan and not liking the way he picked at Lang on air. Gotta say, I am impressed. Greg was honest and up front about the Lang thing.
There is definitely less snark with the Walker pairing.

One thing I did enjoy about the Brady/Lang show- the Zest soap spots. They were fun and funny.

May 15, 2014 @ 6:00 PM

Argie

@Mike
Great job - you too Elvis. Brady was great.

May 15, 2014 @ 7:12 PM

elvis

Thanks everyone (even you Argie). ;)

May 15, 2014 @ 7:22 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I stopped listening to the Fan morning show after they got rid of Landry. I've tried to listen here and there but since I've fallen out of the habit of listening to ANY morning show, it just doesn't fall into my daily routine anymore. I get too much great content from podcasts now. Including Baseball Central, Tim & Sid and Primetime Sports (all comercial free!)...oh...and of course Toronto Miked.

Great job on this show guys. I enjoyed this one...even though I didn't know much about Brady. He seems like a straight-forward dude. I liked the look back to the early Jays and his perspective being a Tigers fan.

I'm really looking forward to Barb next week!

May 16, 2014 @ 8:46 AM

@Al The Royal Pain

Barb will be on the week after next.

Let me know if you have any questions for her!

May 16, 2014 @ 8:53 AM

Al The Royal Pain

Well other than the obligatory marriage proposal, if I think of something I'll let you know. ;)

May 16, 2014 @ 9:50 AM

Steven

I thought Brady was great, and you guys asked great questions as well. It's a good thing for Fan 590 to have a honest answer questions so honestly and openly. Tells you that some of his crankiness is a bit of an act, and obviously there were frustrations working with his previous partner (Lange) that don't exist now.

I flip around the dial a fair bit but their morning show has got my attention a lot lately. Not everything the Fan has done I've approved of in the last 5 years or so, but I'm a 33 year old guy it appeals to be more than ever, with the exception of McCown's show. I think the generation gap is just too great to overcome.

May 17, 2014 @ 5:06 PM

Liz

Been a little out of commission lately so I'm late to this party. Nothing too major - leaving my husband of 23 years, closing my company and generally blowing up my life. Looking forward to listening to this episode on my run later this afternoon.

May 19, 2014 @ 12:43 PM

@Liz

Sounds like my 2011!

May 19, 2014 @ 12:50 PM

Liz

@Mike

Fuck the run. I'm going to drink beer and listen in the porch. Looking forward to it.

May 19, 2014 @ 4:58 PM

Al Reda

Fantastic interview... well done!

May 20, 2014 @ 7:45 PM

Oscar

Is there a problem with the file? I can't play it....

May 21, 2014 @ 1:37 PM

@Oscar

Looking into it right now...

May 21, 2014 @ 3:10 PM

Liz

@Mike

Finally got to listen to this episode on the way downtown this morning - I've been a little busy these days - ha ha. I love Greg's voice - and his storytelling. Another excellent instalment.

My son is so into the Michigan sports scene that he listens to Drew Lane every afternoon he's able. That's Detroit's flagship sports talk radio. It's amazing. We visit Ann Arbor a ton too.

May 22, 2014 @ 2:17 PM

Liz

@Mike

Forgot to add Farmington Hills is wonderful. I've always joked about moving there. Who knows now? Oh, wait. I'll be broke soon so maybe not.

May 22, 2014 @ 2:18 PM

yaz

Great interview guys.

Brady obviously feels he has better chemistry with Walker but it doesn't come across on the air. When do the next ratings come out?

I remember Howard Stern's comments on how the radio ratings system is far superior in Canada because we used radar guns pointed at people's cars - Howard went to #1 the day he aired.

Brady and his Producer know if their show is trending better than it was with Lang, can't wait to see. But my instinct is their ratings are down. Show is too monotone now. Drab.

May 24, 2014 @ 1:23 PM

yaz

Also, I wonder if Lang was let go because he contract was up and rather than re-up him at bigger dollars if they figured a change was a chance at better ratings. Or was it just the pressure from TSN's increasing share in this market?

May 24, 2014 @ 3:18 PM

Ryan

Did you figure out who the person in the running for the morning show job was before Brady took over?

March 30, 2015 @ 1:53 PM

@Ryan

It was Strombo, I believe.

March 30, 2015 @ 2:04 PM

Patrick

Greg blocked me on Twitter and was rather rude after a misunderstanding. You've met him- should I put away my bitterness over the incident and see him as a good guy, or not? Genuinely curious- love the show, and apologies for commenting on an old post.

September 24, 2015 @ 9:20 PM

@Patrick

I only met Greg the one time, when he came over to record, but he was very friendly and generous with his time. And, we had a few phone calls about the Ride to Conquer Cancer, because I was doing it for the first time and he had done it a few times.

IMHO, he's a very nice guy. I think a lot of the MSM guys have a hair trigger when it comes to blocking on Twitter these days.

September 24, 2015 @ 9:31 PM

Patrick

Thanks, really appreciate the response!

September 25, 2015 @ 9:18 PM