Nash the Slash, Dead at 66

Nash the SlashNash the Slash was 66. He was the Toronto experimental musician born Jeff Plewman, whose projects included the progressive rock band FM.

nash-the-slash
Photo by Phil Taylor

Dutch

RIP Jeff another musical genius gone way too soon!

May 12, 2014 @ 1:36 PM

Michael Zanette

Remember growing up in Toronto and thinking this was one of the coolest musicians around. Never saw his face, had some cool and weird tunes, a pioneer.

RIP.

May 12, 2014 @ 1:36 PM

Douglas

Here is yet another (local) artist that, for me, is inextricably linked to The Spirit of Radio, both station and days. He was cool, a musical genius (as Dutch says). I am sure that some reading this item will think "This getting old thing sucks." True, but it beats the hell out of the alternative of not getting old.

May 12, 2014 @ 2:44 PM

Boomer

I was listening to a FM cd yesterday...creepy.

Saw Nash open for Kim Mitchell back in the 80's in Oshawa. A few people were throwing golf balls at him. He got pissed after about 4 songs and left the stage.

May 12, 2014 @ 3:02 PM

I saw Stafford tweet that this was a hoax.

Here's the Edmonton Journal article that inspired this sad entry: LINK

May 12, 2014 @ 3:02 PM

Davjo

How sad. I was just talking about how cool his music is via text this morning with my brother. I went to find Nash's website to send the URL to my bros. and found out that he had died.

May 12, 2014 @ 3:24 PM

I'll share Working on the Radio by the 102.1 Band tomorrow.

From Nash the Slash's Wikipedia page:

Also in 1979, Nash thanked Toronto radio station CFNY-FM for their support of his music, by playing electric violin on the station's theme song, which was recorded by various disc jockeys of the station in a strange blend of new wave and country music. It was released as "Working on the Radio" by the 102.1 Band, as a single on Ready Records.

May 12, 2014 @ 4:30 PM

dale

What a Loss. Saw him live with FM in late 70's & again only a few years ago.

A great talent.

RIP

May 12, 2014 @ 5:16 PM

Out west

Here the video for Just Like You.

Still don't mind most of the 80's Can-Con...its held up well

May 12, 2014 @ 8:56 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Phasors on Stun was my favourite. Definitely was Spirit of Radio original from the 80's.

May 12, 2014 @ 8:57 PM

Doug

My first concert was Rush in 1979 at Varsity Stadium...Nash the Slash and FM opened.

May 12, 2014 @ 9:29 PM

Boomer

@Mike. He said the golf ball throwing in Oshawa was a hoax?

May 12, 2014 @ 10:58 PM

Phil Taylor

The article violates photographic copyright for the image of: Nash the Slash. Please place a photo credit by Phil Taylor. This is the original photographer and copyright holder. If you comply, no other contact is required. A grace period of 30 days has been allotted . Thank-you 14_05_2016

May 15, 2016 @ 2:33 AM