Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 67: Todd Shapiro

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 67In this 67th episode, Mike chats with Todd Shapiro about his days at 102.1 the Edge on the Dean Blundell Show, what the hell happened and his upcoming show on SiriusXM. This episode is exactly 59:55.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Todd Shapiro and me

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Al Reda

Fantastic interview!

Great job with Todd.... he was very honest.

February 6, 2014 @ 1:40 PM

Dan

Mike, you completely let Todd off the hook. He eluded to the fact that what makes Stern great is the way he is forthright and honest with his guests and audience.

Every "sensitive" question you asked him about just what happened at the Edge was allowed to go unanswered.

You are wrong by saying "I'm not doing my job if I don't ask the questions" - you are not doing your job if your questions are not answered.

Please don't promote this as a "tell-all" interview unless the "all" you refer to is that Todd doesn't live in the past and that he's getting married this weekend.

This interview, like the Alan Cross interview, were wasted opportunities to have meaningful, engaging conversations with two of Toronto radio's better storytellers.

February 6, 2014 @ 2:33 PM

@Dan

Wow... Peter Mansbridge took less heat for his Rob Ford interview.

I asked all the questions - anyone who listens will be able to tell. He was pretty honest... but people aren't stupid. He was as honest as he's able to be on the record... I got more than I expected, actually.

And that goes for both this interview and the Alan Cross interview. You'll hear more from both subjects here than via any media outlet in the country and you know it.

February 6, 2014 @ 2:38 PM

Lyle Lanley

@Dan

You're way off base. If Todd had gone any further he would burn all bridges in a small industry.

February 6, 2014 @ 2:45 PM

Brian

Interview was weak. You asked the questions. He dodged them. I never liked the dean blundel show anyways. Glad it's over. And seriously who is going to listen to this guy on Sirius radio anyway.

Agree with other post. You do ask the questions but it is obvious you are intimidated by your guests. Like Alan cross, you kept giving todd am opportunity to leave or not answer the questions. How many times did you ask Shapiro if he had to go??

Anyways you tried. People are interested in the old days at cfny and the edge. You sound apologetic for asking those questions when in reality it's the only reason for listening.

Keep up the effort.

February 6, 2014 @ 3:05 PM

Alex

I would have liked to hear more (anything, really) about what happened and why he got let go, but I understand that there are likely legal reasons for not discussing the details in public.

Re: letting Todd off the hook...what do people expect to happen? If the guy is unwilling (or unable) to answer the questions then you've got to move on. This isn't a politician responding to allegations, it's a radio personality discussing his private affairs.

February 6, 2014 @ 3:13 PM

@Alex

There's a massive unspoken legal component at work and I wasn't about to bully Todd into losing serious coin.

He gave as much as he could and I wasn't about to be the asshole who was ungrateful.

February 6, 2014 @ 3:15 PM

Al Reda

Imagine this scenario...

1. Todd does favour for Mike 2 days before his wedding and agrees to interview

2. Todd is interesting and charming and gives a great deal - admits he was fired - doesn't dive deep enough into "Dean's an asshole and I was fucked" territory

3. Mike ass rapes Todd, forcing him to answer all questions and to stop being a hostile witness - Todd tells everything, loses money, loses livelihood, gets sued and hates Mike and tells everyone to avoid Mike's podcast at all costs

4. Everyone is happy

February 6, 2014 @ 3:19 PM

Cosmo

I enjoyed it.

February 6, 2014 @ 3:27 PM

Andrew

I get that there are certain things he couldn't legally talk about, maybe. Seems this interview wasn't taken seriously at all. talking about eggs and his wedding every 5 minutes was pretty annoying.

February 6, 2014 @ 3:33 PM

@Andrew

I'm guessing this was your first episode of Toronto Mike'd...

February 6, 2014 @ 3:39 PM

Jillian

Not your fault Mike- but he did dodge many of your questions like a pro!

Do you realize you said Barbara Streisand when you meant Barbara Walters?

February 6, 2014 @ 3:43 PM

@Jillian

Yes, Barbara Streisand was supposed to be Barbara Walters. Oops!

By the way, as soon as the lawyer takes the muzzle off of Todd, he'll be back to fill in the cracks, so to speak.

February 6, 2014 @ 3:44 PM

mrmojorisinca

Good Job mike..never mind the people saying you didn't push..Your not Peter Mansbridge or a journalist by profession that I'm aware of your doing a fun thing and as far as that goes you've done well..

February 6, 2014 @ 3:52 PM

Sam in Pickering

I enjoyed the back story... the bio of Todd Shapiro and what he said about Adrian, Toddy Tickles, Eduardo and Martin Streek.

Everyone wants blood. Some of us just want a good story.

February 6, 2014 @ 3:54 PM

Rachel

Those eggs sounded yummy!

February 6, 2014 @ 4:01 PM

Doug

Great interview Mike!
I enjoyed hearing Todd talk about his internship at the Edge with Humble and Fred. I remember listening at that time.
I also remember how mean Dean was to Todd at the beginning of the DBS.
I will definitely listen to Todd's show on Sirius...I need something from 9 - 10 between H&F and Mike Stafford.

February 6, 2014 @ 4:30 PM

Charron

Sometimes it's what he doesn't say that speaks loudest.

For all those who thought this wasn't revealing, listen again. Seriously. It's all there but strategically said.

February 6, 2014 @ 4:33 PM

Matt

@Charron - how do you figure? I think you're covering for both Todd and Mike. I thought it was a sub-par interview. Someone said it best, it wasnt that you werent doing your job if the question goes unasked, rather if it goes unanswered. The only thing Todd eluded to specifically was that Dean wasn't going to his wedding. He shouldve asked - was he invited to your wedding, not if he was going. Thats the difference between an interviewer, and someone asking questions. And, Mike only asked (I believe) one question from his forum. And it was a poor question at that, asked in such a way to paint Dean in a poor light. I wish Mike was a little more objective...its like the Toronto Star in radio form. Lame.

February 6, 2014 @ 4:45 PM

@Matt

I'll clarify if it was unclear. Dean Blundell was not invited to Todd Shapiro's wedding.

Most of the questions in the "Questions for Todd Shapiro" entry were in fact asked.

Seriously guys, on my podcast I aim to have interesting and enlightening discussions with people I give a shit about. That's it. I do it for free as a hobby because I enjoy it. I'm not a professional broadcaster nor am I a journalist.

And again, I'll repeat the facts... this is the most open and honest Todd Shapiro has been about everything since he was fired last July. Not one of you could have extracted more from him, I assure you.

February 6, 2014 @ 4:51 PM

Scott

I would say it's pretty clear Dean and Todd don't speak and no longer have a friendship if Todd dodged saying specifically whether they still talked or not.

February 6, 2014 @ 4:54 PM

Speysidephil

It was very obvious and clear that there is no love lost between Todd and DB.
What part of Legal restrictions on what he can say don't the critics understand ?

February 6, 2014 @ 5:17 PM

Il Duce

Sorry to throw you under the bus here Mike but I have to agree with Dan 100%. You promoted it as a 'tell all' and it was not.

I liked the interview, there was a lot of info that we didn't know about Todd but I wanted to hear more of his life on the DBS. Todd was holding back, you needed to get it out of him.

February 6, 2014 @ 5:31 PM

Matt

@speyside - talking about how/why/conditions under which people were fired are one thing. Things of a personal nature aren't covered by "legal restrictions".

February 6, 2014 @ 5:33 PM

McNulty

I think you're a little too defensive. It's a public forum, you know after thousands of blog posts that people will question you.
When it comes to a celebrity interview or pseudo celebrity, people have higher expectations. You sold this as a tell all and it wasn't.

I get what you're trying to do. You want a conversation with people. You're extremely new at it and it takes time to get comfortable. You're on your way. It's light and breezy. Your affection for the guests shows and it's endearing but it still sounds like you're intimidated a bit. But hell, I would be too.

But it's your podcast. And people listen.

As for Todd, pressing him would be pointless. You'd just piss him off.
It just lacked a little more tell and a little more all.

However, his love of Humble was news to me. I didn't know he was so important to him. I like that he shows him such respect.

February 6, 2014 @ 5:36 PM

Speysidephil

@Matt

Did Todd not say that everything would come out just not now. He also said when that day comes he owes to Humble to air it on his show.
Did I miss something?

February 6, 2014 @ 5:37 PM

next steps

Kinda a let down of an interview, Not really mikes fault but more Todd's. He seems to be holding back answers for a later date, probably to make money off of. The next step Mike Is to interview Dean and or Derek. Is that something you would ever do. Dean would be the most interesting but I'm also very interested to see what Derek is up to now

February 6, 2014 @ 6:04 PM

Liz

What the fuck happened here? Mike, sounds like you've committed crimes against humanity or something equally egregious. Jesus. The fringe is out in full force.

I just got in and am getting ready to listen to the interview. But, before I do, let's do a little revisionist history. Pay attention. At one point, this interview was indeed billed as a 'tell all' but then it became apparent that Todd wouldn't quite be in that position yet. Mike then shared that while there would still be an interview, it wouldn't be quite the 'tell all' he had once hoped.

@Dan

It's "alluded".

@Matt and @Dan

Ease the fuck up, would you? Keep reading and re-reading @Al Reda's post. It'll help you gain the perspective you're sorely in need of.

Now, time to listen while I make dinner. That way I can hear for myself how Mike did the interview with Todd's Tickler in his mouth.

Remember that Mike has a grown-up job and a life. He does this for fun and when a shit storm is directed at him, he's earned the right to stick up for himself.

@Argie and @Corey

Before you two Mensa candidates start with the cheerleading bullshit, just save it. I'm not in the fucking mood.

February 6, 2014 @ 6:07 PM

McNulty

I highly doubt Dean would do Mike's podcast. He's too arrogant. He's the type to only be interviewed by a fluffer.

Mike wouldn't fluff him.

February 6, 2014 @ 6:07 PM

Matt Woudstra

Mike, thoroughly enjoyed the interview with Todd. It was great to hear his story of how he came to prominence in Toronto radio. A great origin story.

To those that are saying you didn't push hard enough with your questions... You knew Todd couldn't and wouldn't answer the questions surrounding the firing yet you asked anyway. Not with the lawyers involved and Todd's promise to H&F to speak on their show first (when he can). Good on you for asking. And good for Todd in how he respectfully declined to answer.

Thanks for the info on the mics too!

MW

February 6, 2014 @ 6:08 PM

Wayner

"it is what it is" (I hate that phrase btw)...

The industry is too small to burn bridges and Todd realizes that so he's not going open his mouth. No doubt he will work with CORUS one day and perhaps bump into Dean. Its best to take the high road. I understand Jason Barr has never discussed his time on DBS and most likely never will.

I think we were all expecting too much.

February 6, 2014 @ 6:49 PM

Matt (3rd one in this thread)

Mike was very honest about this not being a tell-all even though it was originally promoted as such. When that changed he mentioned it NUMEROUS TIMES! It was exactly what I expected. Why is it so hard for some to grasp that legally Todd couldn't say as much as he may have wanted to?

I'll echo what Charron said, listen again and learn to read between the lines. The information is there.

Well done Mike and Todd, that was a very entertaining podcast. Ignore the haters.

On a side note it's been great watching this podcast grow. You've done a great job Mike, it seems like yesterday I heard episode 1.

If you haven't done so, please sponsor Mikes ride to conquer cancer!

February 6, 2014 @ 6:58 PM

Matt (3rd one in this thread)

@Mike

Forgot to add, did you reach out to Jason Barr after the podcast? I would love to hear an interview with him as well.

February 6, 2014 @ 7:00 PM

Digger

Wow... what's this? So many ungrateful people who think Toronto MIke owes them something.

It's a great hour interview that cost you absolutely nothing. You didn't even have to hear an advertisement.

So Todd didn't burn every bridge and sabatage his future? Why would you want him to? Don't you think Dean and the Corus lawyers are listening to this episode today? Of course they are.

If you enjoyed it, thank Mike and subscribe to his podcast. If you didn't, you don't have to listen again. But don't bitch because Todd didn't share every detail about his firing from his dream job.

February 6, 2014 @ 7:11 PM

Matt Woudstra

@Digger, well said. Especially the enjoy for free aspect.

February 6, 2014 @ 7:42 PM

Jamie

Good job Mike. I thank you for trying, even though you knew he wasn't gonna give it up you pressed on and I think you did it for us inquiring minds who want to know.

For everyone busting your balls calling you soft, they can all go eat a dick.

Cheers bud I enjoyed it!

February 6, 2014 @ 7:55 PM

Paul

That was great, Mike. Thanks! Hope Todd reappears to give us the full story when he can!

February 6, 2014 @ 8:02 PM

Dillan

Great interview Mike. Any chance you'll be able to get Dean on for an interview to tell his side of the story?

February 6, 2014 @ 8:17 PM

4x4 Time

@Liz, tell us how you really feel!!!....Love it.

February 6, 2014 @ 8:22 PM

Scott

Yea Mike any chance you would ever be able to get Dean on the podcast? Or even Jason like Todd mentioned.

February 6, 2014 @ 9:12 PM

dave

i thought it was a great interview, todd did a good job filling in all his fans and listeners on what happened with out getting himself in legal trouble how can you ask more of him? I look forward to his show and wish him all the success in the world because he adds so much entertainment and joy to many people !

February 6, 2014 @ 9:24 PM

I just got back from High Park so I thought I'd check in. It's nice to see the comments took a turn for the better. :)

Yes, I will pursue having Jason Barr on the show. No, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that Dean would come on, but I'd be happy to interview him.

For the record, initially when Todd and I arranged this podcast, he was going to "tell all". Shortly thereafter, he changed his mind about telling part of the story, so I wrote and said on my podcast that I'd ask the questions and see what he would answer.

I suspect Todd will never publicly tell his story. He's told me in private, and I've promised not to share the details here.

Thanks everyone for listening. Please subscribe in iTunes at http://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/toronto-miked-podcast/id557260245 and tell all your friends.

February 6, 2014 @ 10:29 PM

Liz

@corey

That's explains A LOT - oh, my.

February 6, 2014 @ 11:16 PM

Liz

Auto-correct is ridiculous.

It should read That explains A LOT.

Good night!

February 6, 2014 @ 11:32 PM

Kevin

I really enjoyed this interview and it did give insight to the origins of Todd. Keep up the great work Mike.

February 7, 2014 @ 8:24 AM

Argie

@Corey
You beat me to it. Oh well, this will have to do:

February 7, 2014 @ 8:29 AM

Bdot

It was a good interview. Nice to hear his voice on the air again I think he will do well.
By there way, when can i come over for eggs and coffee???

February 7, 2014 @ 8:56 AM

519 Rob

I don't think Mike needs more people coming to his defence, but here goes.
What the hell is wrong with some people.

Was Mike supposed to beat Todd until he talked?

'Tell me about Dean'
'No'
*SMACK*
'TELL ME ABOUT DEAN'
'NO!'
*SMACKSMACK*

It was obvious that Todd shared all that he could, or felt comfortable doing. But as many have said, if you read between the lines, many answers are there.

And I'll say this, my opinion of Todd changed quite a bit.

I saw his 'character' on the DB show as an ass-hat.
The real Todd seems like a pretty likable guy.

Nicely done Mike, cant wait to hear Jason Barr (or maybe Bookie??)

Rob

February 7, 2014 @ 8:58 AM

Jamie

@Mike

Just curious to see if Todd contributed to your pledge like he said he was. With all the free advertising your giving him he should shell out at least a grand.

February 7, 2014 @ 9:29 AM

TheSweaterTuck

Mike, I think you did a great job. I think the people who think you needed to beat answers out of Todd are the type of people who will never be happy with anything. You have a great podcast with interesting guests and in order to maintain that, you have to maintain relationships. If you were too rigid with Todd, he's not going to want to open up to you and will tell other potentials guests that you were a dick to him and word will get around making people not want to come on your show. Furthermore, people aren't just going to reveal things that they either don't want out there or just can't talk about for legal reasons or otherwise. All you can do is ask the question and give them the opportunity to answer.

That said, I believe you did a great job and got everything out of him that you could. Congratulations on the growing success of your podcast - I'm excited to see where it goes next.

Side note: why do some of us find the Toronto radio scene so interesting??

February 7, 2014 @ 10:51 AM

Lyle Lanley

@TheSweaterTuck

I think it's because Toronto radio people are accessible.

February 7, 2014 @ 11:01 AM

Andrew

"All I do is move forward."
"I don't think of the past...it's a waste of time for people."
"If we dwell on things in the past, we set ourselves up for failure."

Wisdom coming from a man who just relished telling a 20-minute story on how he got the job at the Edge.

February 7, 2014 @ 11:29 AM

Roshan

Even though I've never heard him I rather enjoyed this episode. I will try and catch his new show if it has a podcast. Cheers Mike & Todd.

February 7, 2014 @ 11:35 AM

Pete

I have met @TOMike and have gotten to know him somewhat, I can't imagine Mike being "intimidated" by anyone as @Brian stated. Mike is very clear minded and a truly nice person, as has been stated ad nauseum here, Mike isn't going to throw anyone under a bus.

And although the comment about not having to sit through any ads for the free TorontoMike'd podcast was meant to promote the show, are you people not listening?! He mentions coreFusion at the start of EVERY podcast! In this one he even talks about that nice Pete guy at coreFusion during the podcast.

Thanks for the shout out Mike, very nice job on the interview. Again, I suggest that you try to lock @Liz up for an interview, I want to hear that one.

--Pete

February 7, 2014 @ 12:13 PM

@Pete

True, Toronto Mike'd is proudly sponsored by coreFusion, as will The Todd Shapiro Show.

And no, I wasn't the least bit intimidated by Todd Shapiro. In fact, fairly early in this podcast, I call him my bitch.

February 7, 2014 @ 2:35 PM

Il Duce

@ Tdot Mike

You didn't answer Jamie's question, did Todd contribute to your pledge?

Your fans need to know.

February 7, 2014 @ 2:51 PM

@Il Duce

Sorry @Jamie, I missed your question. Was a busy night last night!

No, Todd did not pledge my ride.

Since you brought it up, I urge everyone to sponsor my ride here: http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/mikeboon

February 7, 2014 @ 2:54 PM

Andrew

Just finished listening to this podcast.

First off…. and I'm bragging here, but, that was the best sounding episode you'd recorded (other than my bits ;) ). When you get someone into your studio who knows his craft and knows how to use the tools of his craft, you can hear the difference. I still need to find you an inline compressor for your board!

The chat is exactly what I expected. Any person who is involved in broadcasting of any kind signs NDA's and get lawyered up to the teeth. There are time limits as to when and where things can be said. It can cost big time money if parties violate any part of the NDA's and I've been part of that situation in the past.

To me, it sounded like two guys talking and that's what radio or podcasts should be… Indie 88 should listen to this and take some tips! BAZINGA!!! OK, had to add that.

Cheers,

Andrew

February 7, 2014 @ 3:41 PM

Anon&on

Another enjoyable episode.
I didn't have any particular interest in the tell all, was never a DBS listener, only knowing of Todd from his intern days. Todd was a part and party to that show for a decade- and that's what he said. Good on him. He didn't dodge anything. People are disappointed because they wanted to hear what a bad man DB is, and how oppressed and abused Todd must have been.
You didn't hear that. I was pleased he backed up his role and didn't try to distance himself from the show.

February 7, 2014 @ 5:53 PM

Anonymous

Hey Mike,
So great to hear Todd on his own.
Amazing how talent comes to the fore.
Great to hear how Humble and Fred are part of this.
Please make sure that you don't have mediums or disturbed kids with Asbergers on you show.
Mike - great to hear Todd on the air.
Cheers

February 8, 2014 @ 4:31 PM

Anonymous

You should have paid Adrian for that content. He was obviously compromised. If that huge ass corporation did not pay him anything I am disgusted

February 8, 2014 @ 4:46 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Tough crowd Mike. Great job, and for a hobby you do a real bang up job and i truly enjoy it. What do some expect, you to be Piers Morgan on CNN? Liz said it all, she was spot on.

February 8, 2014 @ 7:24 PM

Charlie Shnosky III

>>But as many have said, if you read between the lines, many answers are there.

Agree. Todd immediately changed the subject and laughed nervously when asked if it was scripted when Dean would tell him to "shut up" or otherwise demean him on air. I think the answer couldn't be clearer.

And while we don't know about the evolution of his relationship with Dean (i.e., did they have a strong working relationship that soured?), we do know how it ended. They worked together closely on a successful show for more than a decade and Dean isn't invited to Todd's wedding. That tells us precisely where their relationship is at this point.

February 8, 2014 @ 9:11 PM

Samuel

Hrmmm, not sure about the whole "legal reason" he can't tell what really happened. Toronto Mike openly admitted in a post that Todd told him everything in private.....The legal contract would say that he cannot disclose anything to anyone...let alone a pod caster (who isn't even a good/close friend of his). So sorry, but if it really was legal reasons he would not be allowed to tell anyone about anything.

February 10, 2014 @ 11:49 AM

@Samuel

The key difference is that Todd saying it on the podcast would be to put the details in the public domain.

By telling me, and me not writing about it, he hasn't done that.

February 10, 2014 @ 12:01 PM

Stumpy

Hey Mike,

Gotta say.. I've really been enjoying the podcast. I started with this one because I was curious to see what Todd had to say about the Edge, and about his new show. Then I saw that you interviewed Jonovision so I had a listen and now I'm working my way through the Alan Cross show. Well done bro.

February 10, 2014 @ 12:06 PM

@Stumpy

Thanks!

I'm working on a list of attainable celebs I'm interested in chatting with. I'm hoping I can line up more guests as interesting as these three.

Before I recorded with Todd, I listed five episodes you should listen to. You might want to go back and hear the other three listed here: http://www.torontomike.com/2014/02/5_episodes_of_my_podcast_you_shou.html

February 10, 2014 @ 12:09 PM

Samuel

@Toronto Mike

Fair enough! Thanks for responding.
Overall I was disappointed with the interview. But that is only from Todd's side of it. You asked the questions I wanted answers to and got no detail in return. At least through his hesitation etc. we found out that he is not friends with Dean (and probably hasn't been for a long time, though that would mean they lied about it all the time on the show), and he was fired that it was sudden and unexpected. Hopefully we find out why at somepoint. But I won't hold my breath over it, and by the time he does it really won't matter anymore.

Thanks for pursuing this Toronto Mike.
Cheers

February 11, 2014 @ 8:11 AM

Kyle

Why is everybody's first priority to know the facts of someone's personal life? Go watch Entertainment Tonight if you want that stuff. I listened because I enjoyed Todd on DBS and enjoy his story telling, just because he didn't reveal aspects of why he was fired doesn't make it a bad interview. Thanks Mike.

February 18, 2014 @ 4:20 PM

Sean

Looks like it was a bad move on Corus's part...I never realized how much of a market share Dean brought in....and how much it dropped since they let him go. Whoever is in-charge at that station should be feeling really stupid right now...and should also be fired. Even with all the controversy...that is alot of listeners... What a drop....

February 18, 2014 @ 9:55 PM

Anonymous

As much as I respect Alan Cross, heavily formatted stations are a way of life due to the 15 second rule which he didn't mention. Terra radio is so afraid of losing that non-core listener that doesn't recognize a song that quickly. So anyone asking why you hear a lot of the same songs over and over again, it is mainly for that reason. If your non-core listener was much more curious (didn't change the station so quickly) stations could be a lot more diverse with their playlists and less repetitious, as well, you have to remember that they are also somewhat trying to appease the label and or artist with enough spins. Just be glad The Spirit of Radio ever existed in Toronto because you will NEVER experience that again in the Terra radio world.

March 1, 2014 @ 3:25 PM

SMK

Has anyone ever thought that it is NONE OF OUR BUSINESS?? Can you imagine you are fired and dealing with a legal situation on top and then you have thousands of people harassing you for an answer as to why? I am curious as well since I enjoy listening to Todd and I enjoy his new show. I stopped listening to the Mean Blundell Show because I felt starting off my morning in such a negative way was not good for me. Once Todd was gone the proof was there that he was the reason everyone listened anyways.
Mike did a great job and you cannot blame the interviewer when they are put in a difficult position due to legality. Congrats to Todd and moving on is the right decision. Proud of him for sticking to his guns. Another great podcast thank you Mike.

March 5, 2014 @ 1:17 PM