Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 65: Jonathan Torrens

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 65In this 65th episode, Mike chats with Jonathan Torrens about Street Cents, Jonovision, Trailer Park Boys, Mr. D., and much, much more. This episode is exactly 58:03.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

markosaar

My app isn't picking this up automatically. I haven't checked the raw RSS feed for your podcast ever before (because I've never had trouble previously), but what's with all the HTML escape codes?

Has it always been like that, or did you just edit it with some editor that broke it when you saved it?

January 23, 2014 @ 3:04 PM

@markosaar

iTunes pulled down this episode for me automatically.

I edited it today the way I've always edited it.

January 23, 2014 @ 3:08 PM

markosaar

Working now ...also the escape codes are gone now that I look at the XML. Weird.

January 23, 2014 @ 3:12 PM

Al The Royal Pain

Loved the podcast. I too was a Street Cents as a kid.

January 23, 2014 @ 3:13 PM

Al The Royal Pain

At the CBC building in Toronto, they have both Casey & Finigan's treehouse and the Friendly Giants' set on display. It's just round the corner from where I work and one day at lunch I went over to check it out. I walked behind the Friendly Giant set and saw the plywood back to it and at that point a bit of the magic died. It was surreal to see the set from behind.

January 23, 2014 @ 3:21 PM

Al The Royal Pain

BTW, the movie was called Tropic Thunder.

January 23, 2014 @ 3:22 PM

Tropic Thunder... I couldn't remember that name to save my life.

This was an awfully fun podcast to record. Jonathan is a sweetheart, cabbing it to my southwest Toronto studio from downtown in the freezing cold, and all because he Googled "Toronto podcast studio". What a story!

I hope Street Cents, Jonovision and Trailer Park Boys fans are satisfied by the ground we covered. I hope Elvis is okay with the fact Jono owns a Canada Goose jacket.

January 23, 2014 @ 5:17 PM

Anon&on

Can you give us a heads up fro Alan Cross, more than 15 minutes?

January 23, 2014 @ 9:29 PM

@Anon&on

For sure.

Alan is coming in next Thursday. I'll post an entry on Monday to collect questions for him.

Jonathan was only in town until Friday and this all happened very quickly, hence the lack of prep time.

January 23, 2014 @ 9:50 PM

519 Rob

That was one of my absolute favourites episodes. Torrens came of like a pretty decent, down to earth guy.
I only wish you'd been able to go into details about Joe Schmo more. That was a very funny and interesting show. Not sure if its on Netflix, but its worth looking up. Pretty sure it was season 2 that he was on.

Rob

January 24, 2014 @ 1:24 PM

@519 Rob

Thanks, man.

Sorry we missed out on Joe Schmo... I'm pleading ignorance.

January 24, 2014 @ 1:33 PM

Tron

Joe Schmo was pretty good. Cool fact about that show, in it's first season SNL Kristen Wiig got one of her early stats on TV and first time I saw her, and was fan even back then.

Torrens was on season two,I always liked him from Street Cents to Jonivision to even his more current "TV with Torrens". He has a very likable personality. He kind of reminds me of a Canadian Joe McHale.

January 24, 2014 @ 4:52 PM

@Tron

That's a pretty good comparison: Jono is the Canadian Joel McHale.

January 24, 2014 @ 4:54 PM

Anon&on

That was excellent! Great story about Mr. Dressup.
I think Jonathan could do an hour with anyone and make something of it, but you did a
good job Mike. It felt similar to the vibe I get when Marc Maron clicks with one of his guests on WTF.
Can't you get Ford or Buick to lend a ride for these celeb guests?
Did you at least give Jonathan some parting gifts from your stockpile, equivalent to cab fare?
Gardiner Westbound was the announcer on Party Game.

January 24, 2014 @ 7:57 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Very well done and Jonathon seems like a really decent guy. I liked his 3 goals to take on a project, just don't do it for the money.
Being much older than you guys, I had only heard of Jonovision, but didn't realise he was JRock on the trailer park boys, of which I was a huge fan in it's first couple of seasons. I have a lousy memory for names on the credits, but now I won't forget.

January 24, 2014 @ 8:46 PM

Roshan

Enjoyed this one a lot. Never seen Jonathon in any of his films/tv but I will check out some soon. Trailer Park Boys has been on my list of "stuff to watch" for way too long.

January 28, 2014 @ 2:25 AM