Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 61: Bingo Bob

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 61In this 61st episode, Mike talks to Bingo Bob about his days at CFNY 102.1 with Bookie, Todd, Jason, Dean Blundell, Humble and Fred, and Martin Streek. This episode is exactly 1:01:52.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd at http://www.torontomike.com/podcast/.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Al The Royal Pain

I used to go to the Apache burger place all the time when my old band practiced Etobicoke.

January 10, 2014 @ 4:14 PM

@Al The Royal Pain

Do you remember G&B Burgers?

January 10, 2014 @ 4:15 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I'm straining to remember. I probably ate there too...but it must not have left an impression.

You were right though, that whole area (at the time) was a wasteland. I used to ride the subway out there from Yonge to meet up with the guitarist and bass player for food before going to practice...would have been mid 90s.

January 10, 2014 @ 4:29 PM

I lived east of there and went out there for high school until I graduated in June 1993.

Not much there... and that's when Honeydale Mall was alive!

January 10, 2014 @ 4:32 PM

TheSweaterTuck

This is the first of your podcasts I've listened to - excellent stuff! FYI, I've read your blog for years, but stayed away from the podcast because I have way too many podcasts I can't keep up with already.

January 10, 2014 @ 5:32 PM

@TheSweaterTuck

I strongly suggest you drop one of your other podcasts and pick up this one. :)

January 10, 2014 @ 6:20 PM

Lyle Lanley

Fantastic!

Loved the Martin Streek discussion.

January 10, 2014 @ 6:55 PM

Anon&on

Bingo Bob was right on about Mojo. They pushed for and advertised to an audience that was way below the intelligence ( and civilization) level of the product that aired.
Blundell would have been a king on the station they were pitching in their ads and promos, if not on the station as it really was.
I always felt sorry for Maie Pauts when she was on Mojo (such a decent person), the crass ignorant callers she endured... yikes.
Ripkin! was a great show (although I thought his sidekick brought the level). Ripkin was very funny and smart without trying to sound funny and smart, and he pulled in the A talent guests but always talked regular things with them. He got Jim Cuddy to sing over the phone, from a phone booth. He had Alex Lifeson in studio and got him to look at guitar tabs for Tom Sawyer- one of the most memorable radio/musician interview bits I've ever heard (Ripkin always had listeners phoning in with good guitar tab discoveries, it was an ongoing thing). So many bits from his show that still stick in my mind. Humble always talks about relating to an audience by talking about personal experience, and Ripkin was all about that all the time. I know he was fired for good reason, but I can't believe he wasn't given another shot in a major market. He could easily have been a national talent. He did go on to be Canada's Next Prime Minister on a CBC reality show.

Jeff Marek had a non-sports show on Mojo, with Joanne Wilder I think.

Humble & fred have had lots of (fired) radio personalities on their show, and many have talked about the calls and the surprising support from colleagues (even adversaries), people they wouldn't have expected to hear from. I wonder who called Blundell. He burned a lot of people on public airwaves.

January 10, 2014 @ 7:10 PM

around the world

good podcast

January 11, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

Sammi

Good podcast Mike.

January 11, 2014 @ 1:19 PM

Praise from Sammi. Achievement: unlocked.

January 11, 2014 @ 1:56 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Another great episode. Always wondered how Bob became Bingo Bob. The hour format really fits, 30 minutes previously always seemed to be cut off prematurely.
Looking forward to Alan Cross's interview, truly enjoy Geeks and Beats podcasts.

January 11, 2014 @ 2:55 PM

Alan Cross is confirmed for January 30.

January 11, 2014 @ 4:54 PM

Liz

Hey Mike,

This freakin' podcast is so bloody good I just listened to it a second time (while building fabulous twice baked potatoes). Very well done! You, my friend, are really hitting your stride. The running time is better, too - same goes for the podcast you did with Elvis, whom I now love.

I too was born at St. Joe's - albeit a few years ahead of you. And, I also went to St. Joe's/Michael Power across from 22 Division - in the days of Father Redmond (aka Father Red who was one of our cross country coaches). One of the few priests I ever really liked. A wonderful man, actually.

So you just keep this shit up, Mike. You're going to rocket up the itunes chart and blow some minds.

Thanks for sharing these with us.

January 12, 2014 @ 6:00 PM

bingobob

Thanks for having me Mike!
Had a great time.

January 13, 2014 @ 10:03 AM

@bingobob

It was great fun... do you think I could fake that interest and enthusiasm for an entire hour?

Thanks for doing this.

January 13, 2014 @ 10:06 AM

Andrew

Great podcast Mike. I never met Bob, but remember hearing him on air.
Some great stories from 'NY.

Cheers,
Andrew

January 13, 2014 @ 11:58 AM

Wayner

From this old Etobicoke boy...Apache Burger was the best

January 13, 2014 @ 2:50 PM

James Edgar

I somehow missed listening to this one when you first posted it. I met Bingo Bob at a friend from work Jose's Stag. Bob was the best man , we rode around town in a TTC bus visiting various gentleman's clubs. this was when He was with H&F at Mojo , he brought Jessica Baker with him to sell raffle tickets.

Good times and bingo seemed like a great guy.

One thing i heard in the cast was that you were born at St Joseph's , so was I only about 15 years earlier I think. And so were all three of my sisters as well only 15 ,14 and 13 years before me.

February 21, 2017 @ 9:56 AM

@James Edgar

And two of my four kids were born there, too!

February 21, 2017 @ 10:01 AM