The 2nd Raptor 51 Point Game I've Seen Live

Air CanadaMy daughter and I were at the Raptors game tonight to witness Terrence Ross score 51 points and tie a franchise record.

I was there the night Vince Carter scored 51 back in 2000. Here's my ticket stub from that game. It sort of blows my mind that I've been at the ACC for both games to feature 51 point games from a Raptor, considering I don't go to many Raptors games.

If anyone is good at math and wants to do the calculations, I've probably been to 12 Raptors games in my life. I'll bet the odds of seeing both 51 point games are pretty miniscule.

We were actually tied with the Clippers at 102 late in the fourth quarter, making this an incredibly entertaining game. My daughter loved it, including the half-time performance of "Whoop! (There it is) by Tag Team.

My poor daughter now thinks all basketball games are this exciting #raptors

A big thanks to the awesome people at Ford Canada who gave me these tickets so I could take my buddy. My buddy wasn't feeling up to it tonight, so my daughter happily pinch hit.

Me and my date at the #Raptors game

4x4 Time

Mike - I have never been to a Raptors game. How would you compare the arena and game atmosphere compared to a Leafs game?

January 26, 2014 @ 8:55 AM

CQ

"Whoop! (There it is)".
From my only Sunday morning with internet access. I mean, someone's crapped in my corn flakes, lol.

January 26, 2014 @ 8:56 AM

this guest

51 & 51
interesting
synchro
nicity

something
rich
brewing

January 26, 2014 @ 12:43 PM

Boomer

It's good that you had free tickets. I've never been to a basketball game and free tickets is the only way I would ever go.

January 27, 2014 @ 9:10 AM

@Boomer

These were free tickets, but not for me to take my daughter. That just sort of happened at the last minute...

I've paid for Raptor tickets in the past. My daughter's first game was to see Steve Nash because I thought his career was winding down and I wanted my kids to see the greatest Canadian basketball player of all-time.

That was six years ago... so much for his career winding down.

By the way, the atmosphere was amazing on Saturday. It was a shoot-out with a very good team that plays above the rim, so that helped. Lots of cheering and standing ovations... especially when Ross would drain another 3.

January 27, 2014 @ 9:21 AM

Jason C

Very cool.

January 27, 2014 @ 10:07 AM

My wife works with a gentleman named Pierre who did the math for me.

If
-Probability of 50+ points Raptors = 2/1,600
-Mike's gone to 12 games out of the 1,600
-And everything is independent (not necessarily true but probably good enough)

Then out of 1,000,000 simulations of 12 games, then probability
-0/12 games with 50+ is 98.50%
-1/12 game with 50+ is 1.50%
-2/12 games with 50+ is 0.0045% (ie. if 1,000,000 people independently went to 12 games, only 45 would see both 50+ games)

So, there was a 0.0045% chance of this happening. Pretty cool!

January 27, 2014 @ 10:58 AM