Feedly Wins My Google Reader Heart

Feedly Wins My Google Reader HeartBack in March, Google announced they were shutting down Google Reader on June 30. I'd call myself a power user of Google Reader, so I started looking at alternatives.

I'm pleased to announce that Feedly has won the battle to replace Google Reader. In fact, in some ways, Feedly is actually better than Google Reader. I'm using it in the browser as well as the Android app.

feedly

And, if you want Feedly to look and bahave just like Google Reader, there's a Chrome extension called GGReader that will turn Feedly into a Google Reader clone.

But Feedly on its own is just fine. Which Google Reader alternative are you going with?

markosaar

Love Feedly's mobile app, hate their web interface. I'd give GGReader a try but Chrome isn't allowing it to install at the moment.

I dislike Feedly specifically because it doesn't allow me to mark items as read with the mouse, though it does keep Reader's keyboard shortcuts. Sometimes I want to sit back though as I skim through items and not crouch over the keyboard.

I REALLY like The Old Reader -- it harkens back to when Google Reader was awesome and before they started ripping features out. Unfortunately it doesn't sync to Google Reader like Feedly does (though it does import your feed list), so I won't actually switch to it until Reader is gone I think.

June 12, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

TheSweaterTuck

I've been using Feedly, too. It's alright, but no Google Reader. As I understand it, Feedly still uses Google Reader as a syncing source. So, what happens when reader goes away at the end of the month? Will Google still provide syncing? Maybe that assumption is incorrect, but I can't find evidence that I have a Feedly account, just that I am connected to Google. Maybe this isn't the right place for this question.

June 12, 2013 @ 11:05 AM

Feedly did write a pretty good entry for those coming from Google Reader:

There's also this article about Feedly after Google Reader shuts down:

"Less than three weeks before Google Reader shuts down, a top alternative called Feedly has begun switching the foundation of its RSS-reading service off Google's technology and onto its own servers."

June 12, 2013 @ 11:10 AM

Justin

I've been looking for a Google Reader alternative and haven't found one that's suitable. The Old Reader has the best interface but no mobile app to sync it up with. Feedly has an app but I don't like the interface. I'm also having problems installing GGReader to Chrome but once it works I'll give it a look - I'm guessing it will fix the problems I have with Feedly.

Thanks for the tips Mike.

June 12, 2013 @ 11:19 AM

I added GGReader to Chrome without a problem. I'm sure the issue is temporary. It's pretty good.... here's the link again:

June 12, 2013 @ 11:24 AM

AL

I tried Netvibes, but ended up settling on Feedly. Works great for me.

June 12, 2013 @ 11:35 AM

markosaar

I've also heard that Feedly is supposed to act as a back-end to apps that used to depend on Google Reader.

The Old Reader doesn't have an app, but the mobile version seems great?

June 12, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

elvis

Their iPhone and iPad apps are very slick. I no longer read my feeds on my desktop - way better and easier to read on the go. I love it. Google Reader - good riddance!

June 12, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

Ryan G

I guess I'm a relic because I haven't a clue what these things are for.

I was on Facebook for a while but committed FB suicide about two years ago, and glad I did.

I even got a Twitter account to see what the fuss was about..and have never used it. Something something hash-tag blow it out your ass.

June 12, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

markosaar

Ryan G: they're aggregators that keep track of new items on sites you visit regularly, so you can go to one site and see the updates for hundreds (if you really follow that many.) It's great for sites that update often, to make sure you don't miss anything important, and great for sites that only update once a year or so for the same reason.

Just visit your RSS reader of choice and you don't miss a thing. You then mark items as read as if it were email. Depending on your style, you can do it on a per-item basis, or just have them automatically go away as you scroll past them: depends how OCD you are.

Twitter is extremely useful for real-time information ... like to find out my street car is never coming (fuck you 501!), or why my company's servers are suddenly no longer accessible (thanks Rackspace!)

June 12, 2013 @ 1:15 PM

Patrick

Mike, or others, is there a way to remove the feedly logo that shows up on the bottom right of web pages.. Most, not all, using Chrome.
I feel like someone is watching me.

June 12, 2013 @ 7:37 PM

markosaar

Patrick: In the Feedly preferences, (stretch your window wide until you see the sidebar -- Prefs will be at the top), disable "Mini Enabled?".

But Feedly is watching you. I'm pretty sure it tracks your browsing history to serve you ads to pay for the service.

June 12, 2013 @ 10:45 PM

CurlyQ

I use an app called byline on my iPad for personal feeds, it's still working using feedly for the feeds and I'm still happy with it. Nothing wrong with the feedly app, I'll keep that as a backup as well.

July 1, 2013 @ 10:26 AM