Is Toronto a Walkable City?

Is Toronto a Walkable City?During recent trips to Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris and Dublin, it was just me and a map and my two legs. I found each city to be very walkable, and was able to hit each destination without requiring public transportation.

Is Toronto (the old Toronto, not the megacity) as walkable? I'm thinking I'd need to visit my own city as if I were a tourist to learn the truth.

According to Walk Score, Toronto is Canada's 2nd most walkable city, behind Vancouver. Here are the top 10:

1. Vancouver (Walk Score = 78)
  2. Toronto (Walk Score = 71)
  3. Montreal (Walk Score = 70)
  4. Mississauga (Walk Score = 59)
  5. Ottawa (Walk Score = 54)
  6. Winnipeg (Walk Score = 53)
  7. Edmonton (Walk Score = 51)
  8. Hamilton (Walk Score = 51)
  9. Brampton (Walk Score = 48)
  10. Calgary (Walk Score = 48)

Do you find Toronto to be a walkable city?

Definitely. I walk everywhere in Toronto. No car required!

January 23, 2013 @ 12:52 PM

In Toronto you have to walk - you have no choice. Public transit sucks and traffic is hell most of the time.

January 23, 2013 @ 1:01 PM

Traffic can be rough, especially getting in and out of the core at rush hour, but I've always had a very positive TTC experience.

I might be in the minority here, but I'm okay with our public transit system.

January 23, 2013 @ 1:07 PM

I'm not referring to the underworked, overpaid, surely TTC employees - the real problem is that there aren't the number of subway lines that a city this size needs.

January 23, 2013 @ 1:26 PM

Good point... the vast majority of my TTC destinations are within walking distance of a TTC station.

January 23, 2013 @ 1:28 PM

Just saw your twitter feed. You're big time now Mike! Letters from Burkes lawyers lmao.

Can you post it for a laugh?

January 23, 2013 @ 1:43 PM

Brampton sort of surprises me. It depends where in Brampton you live.

January 23, 2013 @ 1:46 PM

Jumping on a webinar now... will write more in a bit.

January 23, 2013 @ 1:51 PM

Walkability is what I still love about central (and south-half) Toronto!
Whether by bike or foot, I never(!) need a map. Everything is built upon a stable Straight-Forward Pedestrian Grid level. Try to move through any post-WWII suburb and increasingly they are impossible to do so without pre-knowledge and a car. Even bus travel is a wandering drag for the suburbs.
Toronto, overall, is also a reasonably flat city.

January 23, 2013 @ 5:43 PM

Not the Mayor of Brampton

One would assume this is a ranking of the 10 most walkable cities in Canada. I suggest, however, it is merely a ranking by walkability of the 10 most populous cities in the country. Brampton is ninth on both lists and is shown as "Car-dependant" when looking at the details.

January 23, 2013 @ 7:34 PM

The source is indeed for:

"Walk Score ranks the walkability of the 10 largest Canadian cities."

January 23, 2013 @ 11:37 PM

Toronto is very walkable, though the suburban areas still need a lot of improvements through infill development, transit expansion and better infrastructure for pedestrians. I think that much of North York, Scarborough, and Etobicoke are still more walkable than newer suburban areas like Vaughan and Brampton (and similar suburban areas in other cities in Canada).

January 24, 2013 @ 12:27 AM