Humble and Fred Join Astral Radio

Humble and Fred Join Astral RadioHumble and Fred have signed a very interesting deal with Astral. This deal replaces their previous deal with Rogers.

Here's the press release.

TORONTO, Jan. 11, 2013 /CNW Telbec/ - It is with a lot of pride and a little apprehension that Astral Radio announces the return of "Humble" Howard Glassman and Fred Patterson.

Debuting January 21st, the Humble & Fred Radio Show will air weekday evenings on Funny 820 Hamilton, Funny 1410 in London, Ontario and News Talk 1010 CFRB Toronto. In addition, new stations will be added to the syndication list over the next year.

The hilarious duo is set to entertain their audience with a combination of highlights from their popular podcast and new exclusive content.

"It's with great trepidation that we are partnering with Humble & Fred", said Rob Farina, EVP Content & Platforms for Astral Radio, "we hope for the best, but expect Humble & Fred to bring nothing but heart ache and lawsuits."

Glassman and Patterson are best known for their long-running morning show on Toronto radio station 102.1 The Edge, where they debuted in 1989. The pair has worked separately for the past several years, but reunited last year to create daily podcasts that are available on iTunes and on HumbleAndFredRadio.com.

"We're thrilled to be part of the evolution of Comedy on Astral", shared Humble & Fred, "we look forward to the opportunity to be fired by them again!"

The addition of Humble & Fred, along with the variety of Canadian comedians being featured across Astral's comedy radio stations, displays our investment in the format and support of Canada's legendary role in the world of stand up comedy. Astral Radio is the first broadcaster in Canada to offer consumers a 24/7 comedy service.

Founded in 1961, Astral Media Inc. (TSX: ACM.A/ACM.B) is one of Canada's largest media companies. It operates several of the country's most popular pay and specialty television, radio, out-of-home advertising and digital media properties. Astral plays a central role in community life across the country by offering diverse, rich, and vibrant programming that meets the tastes and needs of consumers and advertisers. To learn more about Astral, visit astral.com.

SOURCE: Astral Media Inc.

As the guys explain it to me, they'll clean up their podcast so it doesn't become too much of an editing nightmare and edit out chunks for broadcast on terrestrial radio. Basically, every day Phil will have about 2 hours of content from which he'll have to create four 25-minute bits. These bits will be aired on Funny 820 Hamilton, Funny 1410 in London, Ontario and News Talk 1010 CFRB Toronto.

I'm very happy for the guys, I'm just worried they'll soon run out of media conglomerates to leverage. After Corus, Rogers and Astral, is there anything left?

Congrats, H + F. Let me know when 1010 wants to license Toronto Mike'd.

karim kanji

Congrats guys! I just got turned onto this podcast and am very happy!

January 11, 2013 @ 10:34 AM

The Humble and Fred show on 1010 will debut Monday, January 21 at midnight.

The show will air daily from midnight to 2am on Newstalk 1010.

January 11, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

Gump

That was a funny PR release.
I'll listen even if Freddie's politics give me cramps.

January 11, 2013 @ 11:14 AM

Speysidephil

I thought Radio was dead??

January 11, 2013 @ 2:57 PM

@Speysidephil

Apparently radio isn't dead, just going into a radio station to record is dead.

January 11, 2013 @ 3:36 PM

Not Not Dean

Very entertaining to hear these dolts change their opinions based on whomever throws them a life preserver.

January 11, 2013 @ 4:54 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Congrats to the boys, going clean in 2013 doesn't bother me, as long as they keep the excellent guests, and the long laid back interviews I will keep downloading. Only comment for me is the 90 minutes is a good time range, anymore it gets tough to listen to a complete podcast as I want to move on the next day to the newer podcast. Just my 2cents for what its worth.

January 11, 2013 @ 8:32 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Joe Warmington in the Saturday Sun hopes to have them on his Tuesday CFRB show.
Did Humble get a nip and Tuck with the Hair Plugs LOL (see Photo) http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/11/good-and-bad-in-a-strange-news-week

January 12, 2013 @ 10:27 AM

Howard

Too funny Rick C. Thats me and Grandma 15 years ago before I need plugs:)

January 12, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

Anon&on

12 to 2 AM.
So technically, they're back on morning radio. The first morning show of the day.

January 12, 2013 @ 12:11 PM

PPM Device

In Toronto, their show will show up on the PPM ratings. We'll be able to compare how their show compares to other stations & to the previous programming.

The best part of all of this is that it shows why Fred Patterson is just like Dalton McGuinty. He flip flops. He had it with radio a while ago which isn't the case now. He told us how AM 640 and his former buddy Mike Stafford were so much better than 1010 was. Now he is on 1010. Whatever coat tail he can ride on. So whose dick is in your mouth at The Star to give you press? Your so slimy you would probably join the NDP if you could get them to stream your show.

January 12, 2013 @ 4:25 PM

Midnight Mass

Just wondering what the listenig numbers would be at 1-00 am in the morning on 1010. My bet would that there would not be too many....

January 13, 2013 @ 6:44 AM

Woodbridge East Phil

@Not Not Dean, @PPM Device

Humble & Fred aren't flip flopping at all. What's really great about this deal is that the best of the podcast will wind up on air. That doesn't change at all, and the only flip flopping here is the sandals from Australia I wear at home.

They're also introducing content not usually heard on the radio. Rick C has a point... we're going to have great interviews with natural endings. AND, they're supporting new talent (remember I and the interns?)... new people on Toronto radio? Not an everyday thing.

I'm excited about what's ahead, and I'm not brown-nosing here. Their record in developing and maturing new people for the industry proves itself. Just ask Scary Pete, Danger Boy, Bingo Bob... so on and so on.

January 13, 2013 @ 2:37 PM

PPM Device

Sure Phil, we would expect a fair and rational comment out of you. Aren't you involved in the H&F podcast? Why I would be there is a monetary exchange.

Try not to let Freds jizz run down your chin on your shirt. Those stains are hard to remove.

January 13, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

Woodbridge East Phil

@PPM Device

There's more information on my involvement with Humble & Fred on Monday's podcast if you want to listen. But in the end, my opinions aren't wavered for that reason (I come from a family of former Taiwanese politicians... second best thing to hockey fights).

There are so many ways to make more money than in radio... and what I say is what I mean here. Sometimes money doesn't matter does it?

And FYI, I've been warned about you back in broadcasting school... my education lasted two months longer thanks to how your technology works!

January 15, 2013 @ 11:01 AM