Samsung Galaxy S III from Virgin Mobile

Samsung Galaxy S III from Virgin MobileI own a Samsung Galaxy S smartphone. I love it, but folks are now enjoying the Samsung Galaxy S III running on 4G LTE speeds and Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. I'm naturally curious how that experience compares with my daily mobile experience.

The cool cats at Virgin Mobile sent me such a Samsung Galaxy S III last week and I've been playing with it. They've given me a subscription to their Mobile TV app that lets me stream a variety of CTV networks and videos and it's definitely faster.

Here's a shot of me watching Conan via Mobile TV on the Samsung Galaxy S III.

2012-10-05 18.47.54.jpg

It's fun playing with new toys... Is anyone else using the Samsung Galaxy S III?

Cell Guy

What I want to see is a death match:
Samsung Galaxy S III versus Apple (AAPL) iPhone 5

October 10, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

Samsung Galaxy S III vs. Apple iPhone 5

Why the Samsung Galaxy S III beats the Apple iPhone 5:

1. Bigger screen
2. Better OS
3. Expandable storage capacity
4. Google Maps

October 10, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

Ben Vidal

I've had the S3 for about 2 months now. It is light years ahead of all the other Android phones. My girlfriend has the Galaxy S as well and I love being able to show her all the things mine can do and hers can't. I highly recommend adding the nova launcher app to maximize your ice cream sandwhich operating system, and a battery saver app as this amoled screen sucks the battery juice back.

October 10, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

Blind Dave

Right now I have an HTC Incredible S and won`t be eligible for an upgrade till next June. If I could take anything today, it would indeed be the Galaxy III. I`ll just have to be patient and see what competes with it next summer.

October 10, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

@Blind Dave

This is exactly how I feel. I'm happy with my Galaxy S I, but if money were no object and I could have any other phone right now, I'd want a Galaxy S III.

This test drive is merely confirming my suspicions. It's a great phone.

October 10, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

Martin

Hi there. My 7-year old son just spent all Thanksgiving weekend working on a blog post about three phones, including the Samsung Galaxy S III. You can read his concise review here:

October 10, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

Anon&on

The Battel makes a good case for the Nokia.
The Lumina is all boxes, and it looks a little more together than the Samsung and iPhone.

October 10, 2012 @ 8:50 PM

Douglas

A friend of mine is an absolute gadget geek, including phones. So it's a good thing that he owns a chain of Rogers Wireless stores. Name the mainstream phone on the market, and he's at least given it a test run. My Sony Xperia X10 (one of the very early ones; I couldn't turn it down for the price; the new Xperia phones are obviously faster/better) had a serious incident recently, not worth repairing, so I asked him what I should get next. "Galaxy S 3" was the immediate answer. I asked him to elaborate. "Simply the best phone on the market right now," was the reply, and yes, he gave the iPhone5 one of his full evaluations. "Only an iPhone fanatic would choose the iPhone over the Galaxy S 3." He can use whatever phone he wants. Currently, there's a Galaxy S III on his belt. I'll take that as a recommendation.

October 11, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

VegasGeoff

I've has my GSIII for about 3 weeks now, and I love everything about it.

October 11, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

So what we're saying here is that Virgin Mobile should let me keep this Samsung Galaxy S III...

I agree 100%.

October 11, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Douglas

@TorontoMike - Yes, that's pretty much it. If they won't let you keep it, maybe you can buy it from them at a nice discount, since it is a used demo phone. Then if you don't want to stick with Virgin Mobile, get it unlocked and use it on pretty much whatever network you want, including when you travel outside of Canada.

I have an AT&T SIM card for when I am in the U.S. and bought a SIM card when I was in Australia. Huge savings over paying roaming fees from any Canadian network. You just have to let people know your number if they want to call you.

October 11, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

Irvine

I disagree with the statement that Android is a superior OS to Apple. It's not

While you probably don't pay attention to IT security releases, I do. There have been several notable releases on the ease of hacking Android, including the remote ability to reset the machine.

I am a iPhone guy, but I believe the new Windows phone will be a serious contender. Windows 8 (of which I use) is pretty slick. It would be more slick on a tablet. Plus, it can be joined to a domain and, if you use Direct Access it could be magic. DirectAccess is a built in VPN in Windows 7+. You could literally have a tablet perpetually connected to your network. Further to that, IKE allows for automatic reconnection of the device, even on multiple IP's. The device can be disconnected up to 8 hours before the credentials need to be retyped in.

Add in native Kerberos & Outlook/Exchange and you have a real winner. Plus anyone can write Windows Apps.

October 11, 2012 @ 10:44 PM

Becca

Planning to switch to Samsung after a big dissappointment to Blackberry.tahnks for the review.

October 12, 2012 @ 1:21 AM

Gary Shouldis

The Galaxy 3 is a sweet phone, pushes the size of what a smartphone can be, but still not like the Note. I'm a Droid head, so anything to one up the Apple Fanboys is great

October 12, 2012 @ 1:49 PM