Seeing Two of My Favourite Artists in Concert

Seeing Two of My Favourite Artists in ConcertI keep seeing Pearl Jam and The Tragically Hip in concert. I keep seeing them because I love both acts so much, and their live performances never cease to amaze me. They might just be my two favourite bands of all time.

There are bands I'd love to see, but can't. First on that list is Nirvana. I missed Nirvana, and I regret it.

But there are acts I've admired for decades, but for whatever reason, have never seen live, despite the fact they're still touring. In 2012, I'll erase two of the primary artists from this list: Public Enemy and Neil Young.

I love Public Enemy. I've loved them since the 80s, and still listen to Public Enemy every time I bike. On Sunday night, I'll finally see Public Enemy live. Better late than never...

pe

Neil Young is my favourite solo artist and I've been loving his music since discovering it in high school. I'll finally see him in November and I can't wait.

What are some musical acts you've never seen live but wish you had? Feel free to list acts that have retired or passed away, as well as acts that are still active.

Dougie

The Beatles. I wish I'd seen The Beatles. Dammit!

August 29, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

Sam in Pickering

I'm with you on the Nirvana one. I'd love to have seen them live.

August 29, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

Sarah

Queen & Bob Marley - I was too young to catch either of them. Damn my parents for not starting a family earlier! Would also have loved to have seen Cream.
In my attempt to be fiscally responsible, and given exorbident their ticket prices, I have never seen U2 and feel like I have missed out there also.
My latest woe is that I have never seen Springsteen (espescially given reviews of last weeks TO show), have tried a few times but never gotten tickets.
I have seen Neil Young twice now, and the most succinct review I can give is that it is very hard to maintain an atheist stance in a packed house with Neil Young on stage - the man is unmatched.

August 29, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Anonymous

Queen.

August 29, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

MrFascination

Once you see U2 live, All other concerts fall short...

August 29, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

Tom

I saw Oasis the last time they were in Canada. I really wish I saw them in their prime. Other than that, Beastie Boys and Joy Division.

August 29, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

CQ

Weakish hearing keeps me from away attending live music, so I've missed a lot. Bowie would be on my musical bucket list.

August 29, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

Icarus

Beethoven...

August 29, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

519 Rob

A year ago or so on my blog, I did a post about 'missed opprtunities'. It was 5 artists that I will never get to see in concert.
Check it out, if you like.

As far as artists that are still around that I WANT to see, the big 2 are Neil Young and David Bowie.

August 29, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

I saw Bono join Eddie Vedder on stage to perform Rockin' in the Free World. Does that qualify as having seen U2?

August 29, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

Lyle Lanley

Mozart!

August 29, 2012 @ 5:44 PM

dale

The Beatles & Pink Floyd (even though I've seen Roger Waters perform solo with his band).

August 29, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

J9

The Tea Party
The Doors
Neil Young
Oscar Peterson

August 29, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

Claire

Queen. Specifically Freddie Mercury.

August 29, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

Queen is a good one...

There's still hope for The Tea Party!

August 29, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

4x4 Time

I have been fortunate growing up in a musical family to have seen alot of bands. I have not but would like to see Lou Reed, Garland Jefferies, Boz Scaggs. I have Levon Helm a couple of times, but would have loved to go to a Ramble at his Woodstock barn.

August 29, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

dale

I actually was in San Fran. for the Last Waltz for The Band's final concert & I will never forget it.

August 29, 2012 @ 8:33 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ J9 - Saw Tea Party Live...pretty kick ass

For Me it's The Beatles and Blood Sweat & Tears (grew up listening to BST with my dad on road trips)

August 29, 2012 @ 8:58 PM

Anonymous

The Tea Party is playing the CNE bandshell this Friday August 31 at 7:30. Not sure if that is a step up or down from Casino Rama.

August 30, 2012 @ 1:18 AM

Roshan

I've never seen any of my favourite artists - none of them! No international artists to speak of. Ones that came to Bangalore and I wasn't able to go include Bryan Adams, Joe Satriani, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Deep Purple and in a few days Slayer.

August 30, 2012 @ 2:43 AM

Roshan

I'm surprised at the fact that you have never seen Neil Young live, given that he is Canadian and you live in Toronto. Is it that he hasn't played Toronto i years or you have never been able to go when he has played in your area?

August 30, 2012 @ 2:46 AM

Mike from Lowville

The Doors with Jim first off, seen a reunion pos. Seen Paul, George and Ringo by themselves separately but not as the Beatles. Saw John and that screaming witch he married when they showed up unexpectedly on stage at a Zappa concert. If I remember correctly she sat under a white sheet with a flashlight wailing away. Kind of freaked out a few people. Would have liked to have seen Genesis with Peter. Of course Hendrix and Janis Joplin.

August 30, 2012 @ 7:02 AM

MrFascination

Seen Queen - U2 Blows Them Away Live.. Sorry

Queen Sounds Great Live.. Freddie Is A Great Act, But U2 Takes It To Another Level..

August 30, 2012 @ 8:15 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mr Fascination - Saw U2 live a few years ago, I was underwhelmed....deicent show, but nothing to write home about.

That being said, I think U2 are overated to begin with, so that might ahve slanted my view.

August 30, 2012 @ 8:24 AM

Argie

U2 is the best live act, hands down. Of course, if you don't like their music, you're not going to enjoy their show. However, if you're lukewarm about them and haven't seen them live, go see them - and I guarantee you'll become a new fan.

August 30, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

MrFascination

Phil - Yeah if you go to the show not really caring for them, you might be underwelmed. Also depends on the show, some concerts are better than others.

Mind you I went to their last concert last year (360 Tour) with a 21 year old who didn't care for them - but was blown away by the concert.

Argie - Very well said!

August 30, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

mrmojorisinca

Long list of never will be becuase of deaths...but right off the bat..

1) The Beatles
2) The Who (all members)
3) Nirvana
4) The Doors (with Jim) (I wish I could erase seeing them without)
5) Stevie Ray Vaughn
6) Springsteen
7)Led Zepp
8) Queen
9) Muddy Waters

I'm sure there are more..

but I have seen tons of shows..with different bands and well I miss Pearl Jam (been a year or more since I saw them last)..but The Black Keys are my new fav :)

August 30, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

Tim

I am lucky because I have seen most of my faves. I keep missing Radiohead for various reasons. That would be great but I would love them to play lots from there ealier albums and I believe they do not do that.

August 30, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

@Tim

I saw Radiohead about a decade ago at Molson Park and they were amazing. I had tickets to see them this past summer, but we all know what happened...

August 30, 2012 @ 10:13 AM

@Roshan

Yes, Neil Young has played Toronto many, many times over the years, but looking back at my concert going history, it's always been "new rock". Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, RHCP, STP, Hip, OLP, Green Day, Linkin Park, Hole, Sloan, Rheostatics, Alice in Chains, Velvet Revolver, stuff like that...

Almost no "classic rock", oldies or rap for that matter. That likely explains why I never bought tickets to see Neil Young or Public Enemy.

August 30, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

4x4 Time

@Mississauga Phil. Good call on BS&T...Going to see David Clayton Thomas, and Arlo Guthrie in Burlington this fall.

August 30, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

joel

Given the fact that I live on the east coast I have been very fortunate to see as many bands as I have. Although I do travel quite a bit to see concerts. Normally about a 6-8 hour drive to get there depending on where I'm traveling. The one act that I feel I missed out on seeing is the Arcade Fire. Last year was probably my best chance at seeing them at a once in a life time show. They played at to a couple hundred people in Sackville NB under the name Shark Attack. There had been rumours of the show happening but I didn't want to drive 2 hours for them not to be true. By the time the rumours had been confirmed it was about 20 minutes to showtime and too late for me to get there

August 30, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

Sarah

@Joel - Arcade Fire is ridiculous live. I love their studio albums, but live they are an entirely different animal. Will Butler is a beast live and everyone gives 300% every show - no matter what the venue or size of crowd. I see A LOT of shows and I would say they are on my top 5 live acts list, hands down. If you get the chance again...

August 30, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie and Mr Fascination- No hate for U2, I've covered them with Bands I've played in, I just don't think they are as Iconic as people make them out to be. I know Mike will kill me, but I feel the same way about Pearl Jam, both are good bands, just not GREAT in my books....

Best live show I've ever seen is definatly Dave Matthews Band...amazing show

August 31, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

Argie

OK M-Phil, you made up for slagging U2 by mentioning DMB. I've never seen them but would love to. They're awesome in the studio and live (from what I've seen on video).

August 31, 2012 @ 10:57 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Argie - Next time DMB comes to town (pretty much every summer at the Amphatheatre) you need to go....I've been to a lot of concerts in my day..DMB is far and away the best...We brought a friend this year who is not a fan of the band (she says Dave's voice irks her)...when we left she promised she'd never have a bad word to say about them again.

August 31, 2012 @ 12:48 PM

MrFascination

Saw Roxette Live At The Molson Amphitheatre. Great Show! Wow..
I Was Impressed.. Today's pop acts should take note on what a real concert should sound and look.
They Actually play their instruments and sing.. More than what 90% of todays "pop" acts can say.

August 31, 2012 @ 3:43 PM