I Hated the CTV Olympics App

ctv olympics appNow that the 2012 Olympics are complete, I have something to get off my chest. I absolutely hated the official CTV Olympics app.

I installed the Android version the day before the Olympics started hoping to use it as my go-to source for event and television schedules and somewhere I could go to see which events featured Canadian medal hopefuls. It was impossible to find the simple information I wanted, and eventually I just stopped trying.

Today I opened the app one last time, to see what time the closing ceremonies were scheduled to start. I thought that was a pretty simple, and common, query. I figured I'd find it easy in the official CTV app, but I was wrong. I eventually gave up looking and went back to http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/ where I learned the closing ceremonies started at 4pm ET. It took me about 10 seconds to find that out on the CBC page.

Oh, and the live streaming wouldn't work in Linux, and required wifi on my mobile phone. If I'm near a wi-fi connection, I'm likely near a television. Wifi-only isn't mobile at all.

Did anyone find the CTV Olympics App useful or even functional?

Fergus

The iPad version would broadcast the live stream, but with no audio

August 12, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

@Fergus

That sounds like a bonus to me. At least then you wouldn't be inundated with the I Believe song and fanfare.

August 12, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

Michael

I never got to use it much since, as you say, if I'm near wifi I could probably watch TV (even in lobby of hotel when on vacation last week). The official London 2012 app was worse for finding current info. I did like the video in the evenings to catch up on events or watch something I had missed during the day.
I think the wifi only was smart as it kept people from jamming up mobile data.

August 12, 2012 @ 9:25 PM

Cathy

I'm on a Blackberry & also had the wifi/live streaming issue. Aside from that I also had a problem with ctvolympics links in tweets & FB posts; each link took me back to Blackberry App World rather than the story or the app itslef despite the fact that I had already downloaded the app.

August 12, 2012 @ 9:35 PM

Michael

Side note: Wife recently upgraded to Android's Jellybean and the app wasn't compatible. :-p

August 12, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

Tevy

I have an older iTouch and when trying to download it I was told the app wasn't compatible with my device.

Old might be old. But that's still no excuse.

I used the official London 2012 results app instead. It wasn't great but it served its purpose.

August 13, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

elvis

The app worked fine on the iPhone.

August 13, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

@elvis

But were you able to easily find when a certain event was taking place and when Canadians had a medal chance?

August 13, 2012 @ 3:40 PM

Lorne

If they can't even make the website usable, I wouldn't expect them to be able to do an app.

An app is just a website, except you have to design/code/create the browser to go with it. Imagine if you had to create Firefox from scratch every time you wanted to put up a webpage.

It's 10x more effort, and given that CTV's webdesigners only do 1/10th of the work to begin with...

August 13, 2012 @ 4:09 PM

The_Voice

I thought the iPad version was pretty good for finding schedules and streams. I watched the handball and table tennis finals this way.

August 13, 2012 @ 5:28 PM

Rosie

I also really liked the iPad version. I found information easily and watched some gymnastic events with no problem.

August 13, 2012 @ 8:16 PM