Amsterdam: Bikes... Bikes Everywhere

Amsterdam: Bikes EverywhereAmsterdam is a very interesting city. I'll be sharing more pics from my visit soon, but this entry is about the bikes that dominate the cityscape.

This summer, I've biked about three times a week throughout Toronto, but we in Toronto can't touch Amsterdam when it comes to biking. Amsterdam has bike lanes everywhere, and it seems almost everyone uses them. There are bikes locked, and unlocked, along every street, at virtually every turn.

2012-08-07 14.17.58

2012-08-07 14.21.36

2012-08-07 13.39.16

2012-08-07 14.13.45

2012-08-07 13.41.46

2012-08-07 13.37.03

I thought Berlin did a fantastic job of installing bike lanes throughout the city, but Amsterdam has taken it to a whole different level. I love it.

Karina

I am so envious of you being in Amsterdam.

August 7, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

@Karina

You'd dig it the most.

August 7, 2012 @ 11:39 AM

Argie

My advice, stay away from the muzzy ghettos. You can't miss them - each apartment has about 6 satellite dishes.

August 7, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

Next entry:

Red Light District or Canals?

August 7, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

McNulty

Please go to a movie and have a glass of beer. I don't mean no paper cup, I mean a glass of beer.

August 7, 2012 @ 7:28 PM

A.R.

I think we're on our way with the cycling. Bicycles are everywhere in the old city of Toronto as well, though not yet on the same scale. Though they might cause problems, reactionary conservatives won't stop the rise of cycling in Toronto.

August 7, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

@A.R.

What's amazing here in Amsterdam is how diverse the bike riding populous is.

I see men in 3-piece suits biking, women in business wear, elderly folks, kids... everyone is biking everywhere.

There are a lot of scooters, too. I'm less excited about this, because they ride on the bike lanes like bicycles instead of on the streets like cars. You have to be careful with them scooting around, especially if you're on a bike.

And I'm guessing Amsterdam doesn't have Toronto's bike theft problem... lots and lots of bikes are completely unlocked in a "take a bike, leave a bike" policy.

I was in Montreal last summer and felt they had one upped us with the bikes... then I saw what Berlin had done and now I see this. I can't imagine there's anywhere to go from here.

August 8, 2012 @ 5:24 AM

A.R.

Amsterdam is the cycling benchmark, but one sees the same kind of diversity in Toronto among cyclists.

August 9, 2012 @ 1:52 AM