Amazing Week Camping at Pinery (A True Escape)

campingFor as long as I can remember, the only time I can truly unplug is when I camp. Time ceases to matter, emails can wait and ignorance becomes bliss. All week long I've enjoyed camp fires, hikes, visits to the beautiful beach on Lake Huron and great conversations.

2012-08-22 16.58.17

2012-08-22 20.47.22

2012-08-20 17.48.06

2012-08-20 16.35.13

2012-08-22 10.20.18

A big thanks for Ford Canada for lending me a 2012 Ford Escape for the road trip. It handled beautifully, was nice and roomy and sounded great when I connected my Samsung Galaxy S via Bluetooth to play our favourite tunes.

2012-08-19 12.35.58

I can't wait for our next trip.

Blind Dave

Glad you had a great time. Damn those kids are adorable.

Speaking of adorable, I got to have cuddles with my granddaughter today. She's a whopping 2 months and 9 days old!

August 25, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Handsome Rob

Wasnt it a 2013 Escape Mile?

Anyway, looks like a awesome camp site. Glad you enjoyed your time with the kids.

August 25, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

@Handsome Rob

Yes, it was a 2013 Escape.

The sticker price for the car is $33,799 and the one I drove had $6230 in options. For about $40,000 I could have kept it.

August 25, 2012 @ 11:21 PM

Cambo

Were those taken with your camera phone?

August 26, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

@Cambo

Yep. Every picture I've taken the past six months has been taken with my Samsung Galaxy S phone, including all of these shots.

August 26, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

Nick F

What no kitchen tent!
I hope the Ford rep who loaned you the car doesn't see your daughter sitting on the hood.

August 26, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

Gump

Mike -> still car camping?!
Your kids are old enough to start 'real' camping - canoe camping with portages! The experience of vacant (or nearly so) lakes is vastly superior to that of car camping. The kids will love the adventure - planning, mapping it out, hiking with a (rented) canoe, picking a site. No neighbours, no radios, no late night cars driving by, no filthy latrines.
Consider it a reach goal for next summer, you won't regret it.

August 26, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

@Gump

I had that debate this summer. Car camping vs. real camping. I went with another summer of car camping b/c my daughter is only 8. I'm thinking one more summer of car camping, too. Maybe two.

But real camping sounds awfully fun.

August 26, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Creative Righter

Love the Pinery - great spot! Super cute kids too!

August 27, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

Gump

Well I have complete faith that your bright beautiful daughter would have absolutely no problem hiking with a smallish backpack and assisting with paddling!
Plan a trip and figure out what you need. Kids always love a weekend family shopping trip to MEC figuring out what to buy and eat (S'mores).
Canoes are so light now that even a 1km portage is doable.
To put it in "Mike" terms, car camping is like "Breaking Bad", but canoe camping is "The Wire".

August 27, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

@Gump

Finally, an analogy I can understand.

August 27, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Roshan

Awesome. Nice way to camp.

August 30, 2012 @ 2:59 AM