Samsung Kies Won't Recognize My Galaxy S

phoneI own a Samsung Galaxy S II running Android and up to now I've been as happy with it as a pig in shit. Following years of using a Blackberry, it's been a wonderful experience to use a smart phone that's indeed smart.

Wanting to get away from Blackberry, I always knew I'd pick Android over the iPhone. I don't like the closed Apple way, and I hate iTunes. I went with the Galaxy S II because friends I trust recommended it and until now I haven't had a single complaint.

But this complaint is a biggie. It's making me appreciate iTunes in a way I never thought possible, and it's got me thinking my next phone shouldn't be a Samsung. You see, as far as I can tell, the only way for me to update my phone's firmware, and do a proper backup, is via USB using a piece of software called Samsung Kies.

I don't like the idea Samsung forces me to use their software, software that doesn't run in my preferred O/S (Linux), but that's not what has me frustrated as all hell. I'm pissed off at Samsung and their bloody Kies because it simply won't recognize my Samsung Galaxy S II phone.

Yes, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Did it in Windows and on my Mac, too. Used different USB cables, turned off the USB debugging, removed my external SD and SIM card, and finally, when I was at my wit's end, returned the phone to factory settings. Nothing worked.

My kingdom for an alternative to Kies and the true freedom from proprietary applications the spirit of Android promises. And if anyone has any idea how I can update my firmware from 2.3.3 without using Kies, I'd appreciate it.

elvis

I love that my iPhone just works.

July 5, 2012 @ 11:15 PM

Jamie

iPhone will send a message when a new firmware is available and will download it right from WiFi. No hooking up to a computer or anything. Give in to the dark side Mikey and give the iPhone a chance, I promise you won't be disappointed.

July 6, 2012 @ 7:07 AM

Cambo

I too gave up on Kies. Horrid piece of software.

I eventually Googled on how to root, and upgrade my phone with a custom ROM, and have NEVER been happier. It is faster, cleaner, and better on battery.

I'm using Cyanogenmod9, Ice Cream Sandwich.

Kies needs to be re-written completely. Terrible software.

Queue the Apple fanboys.

July 6, 2012 @ 7:16 AM

Mike Kic

Listen to Cambo Booner.....you have to root your phone, it's a bit of work around but beauty when you make it happen!

July 6, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

@iPhone Fans

I'm glad you're happy with iPhones. For a variety of reasons, I prefer Android.

And until this week, I too was using the "it just works" line. It still just works, it's just not updating with Kies. Kies, apparently, sucks.

@Cambo

I'll try that... thanks!

July 6, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

Jacob

"My kingdom for an alternative to Kies and the true freedom from proprietary applications the spirit of Android promises."

Oh... you're one of *those* people.

If you wanna be a techno-vegan, there's no phone out there that's going to satisfy you. Even pure Android has "proprietary" stuff baked into it.

July 6, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

Ryan

Go with CM9 - its the way to go. Loaded Cyanogenmod 7 on a Optimus 2X I have and its way better than stock.

Let me know if you need help

July 6, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

Update

Get this... my phone (from Rogers, for what that's worth) won't connect to Kies. It wants to connect to an obscure piece of software from Samsung called "Samsung EZUpdater".

All literature with this phone, and word from Rogers was that I had to use Kies. Googling the shit out of this issue, nobody suggested Samsung EZUpdater. But, EZUpdater detected my phone and connected.

Then EZUpdater told me my firmware was already up to date. True story.

But at least I've solved the riddle as to why Kies won't recognize my device. If anyone finds this via Google, and wonders why Kies won't work for them, download EZ Updater. Here's the link: http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model/SGH-I997ZKARWC-downloads

Oh.. and one more piece of the puzzle. It turns out my phone is actually a Samsung Galaxy S Infuse 4G™ (SGH-I997). I still love it, even without the II. Now I know why Rogers gave it to me for free.

July 6, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

Ajax Mike

Hey, turns out we have the same phone after all.

July 6, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

Murray S.

I have the Galaxy Infuse 4G (SGH-I997) through Rogers as well, and Kies sucked. I tried the EZUpdater and it also told me my firmware was up to date. Question, is there a ROM that will update it to ICS or is this phone just not up-gradeable? And if there is, do I have to root the phone first? And how do I install it if I can't use Kies or EZupgrader?

July 29, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Redline

The phone is upgradeable its just a matter of rogers sending out the update. That being said Yes you can root the phone and upgrade it to ICS go to XDA www.xda-developers.com and search to see if you can find a rom for your phone. Everyone may have their own opinion of phones I myself like Androids. I've literally own most operating systems on cellphones and come to like the Android system. iPhones have their plus don't get me wrong but its not for me. I like the freedom to customize my phone the way I want it and apple doesn't give you that freedom unless your jailbreak you phone and use a different rom which at that point can be worst....just saying.

August 16, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

brett

Exactly my frustration with samsung. Kies has connected my galaxy s twice in two years, the second time yesterday. But it didn't update Android when it did. Now it won't connect again. My frustration levels know no bounds.

October 13, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

Charly B

THANK YOU! I had the same problem exactly and I've been googling for ages trying to figure this out, and nowhere else mentions the EZUpdater.

November 20, 2012 @ 2:24 AM

Jason X

I am done with Android phones. I thought the Samsung 3 would have a better synch software. Nothing... same connectivity issues and Kies software glitches. I am drinking Apple's purple KoolAid after this phone.

November 25, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

Peter P

I couldn t connect through Kies
Sorry to say that I am disappointed with this phone

December 13, 2012 @ 8:48 AM

dave

i think its a case of rogers just doesnt care,, and niether does samsung,, they both still try to tell you that kies is what works,, interestingly the AT&T branded phone doesnt have these issues,, truely is maddening

March 31, 2013 @ 10:09 PM

Robin

help...i have a samsung infuse, to which i love, however its running on old software (apparently) SGH-I997R Gingerbread...anyways my "smart phone" is not acting very smart...
help..Kies does not work...

April 5, 2013 @ 6:50 PM

robin

grandroyal_20@hotmail.com

(clearly not an IT junkie..lol)

April 5, 2013 @ 6:51 PM