Something Microsoft Hasn't Screwed Up Yet

skypeI always naturally gravitate away from Microsoft applications. I'm writing this entry on a desktop running Ubuntu, I edit .docx files in LibreOffice and I haven't used IE in about a decade. But there is one Microsoft software application I do use daily, and I think it's great.

Admittedly, I was late to the Skype party. I've only been using it for about six months, but it's a key part of my working day. Skype works great in Linux, Mac OS X and Windows, as well as my Android phone. I just got off a Skype call with a gentleman in Germany and it was as clear as a bell, and absolutely free of charge. I love Skype, and Skype is owned by Microsoft.

skyp

Skype was only acquired by Microsoft in 2011, so there's plenty of time for them to mess with a good thing, but so far they haven't. But when I can make a clear and reliable Skype call to my buddy Frank in California without paying a dime, and Rogers wants 40¢ a minute to make the call from my phone, the choice isn't really a choice at all.

Skype wins. Do you use it?

David

When I lived in Sweden in the previous decade, when skype was in its infancy, it was my lifeline to back home. It was just audio, mind you, but it was still a blessing.

Lets hope microshaft leaves it be.

April 17, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

I work from home and talk to Europeans and Americans, and Skype is our link.

It really is amazing... and the Linux and Android versions are just as feature rich and effective as the Mac and Windows versions. I log on and I'm open for business.

If Microsoft messes with it, I'll definitely be shaking my finger at them in a very shaming fashion.

April 17, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

McNulty

I use Skype to talk to my Mum when she is in Florida. It is a great way to stay in touch for free. I have it on my iPhone and I walk around the house and let different family members talk.
I also use it to talk with my Uncle and other friends.

But using it on my iPhone makes me feel like I am in Star Trek.
That's even cooler.

April 17, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Give them time.

April 17, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

Steve

I'm pretty new to the Skype thing and haven't used it a bunch yet, but it's pretty great.

April 19, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

Joanne

The first time I met my nephew Lawson he was a few days old, sitting in my sisters lap in Georgetown, Ont. I was on a bus on my way home from work in Milan, Italy. I love Skype! Facetime is pretty awesome too. I use both regularly to keep in touch with friens and family back in Canada. Every friday night I have a meal with my friend Heidi in Kamloops. She has lunch, I have a late dinner. We eat and talk and almost feel like we are really sitting across from one another.

April 19, 2012 @ 5:40 PM