Alan Cross Fired from Edge 102

radioThis one comes as no surprise. Alan Cross is no longer employed by Corus Radio. Alan Cross is best known for his long-running weekly rock documentary series The Ongoing History of New Music on 102.1 The Edge.

Alan Cross was there a very long time, starting at CFNY in 1986. It's highly likely he'll continue to create content for Corus, although in a freelance capacity.

Back when Alan Cross was program directory at 102.1, we exchanged several emails that I posted here. Edge 102 avoided Eminem like the plague, and then suddenly played him ad nausea. Here's what Alan Cross said about that. Then, there's that time Good Charlotte headlined Edgefest. That was fun.

Alan's last day was June 30. It's the end of an era, folks, but it's no surprise. Maybe he should apply for this gig.

Fun fact: Alan Cross is married to former CFNY news gal Mary Ellen Beninger!

Lardette

Good DJ voice, but that Explore Music site he was paid (well) to set up was junk.

Who would disagree?

July 8, 2011 @ 9:47 AM

Agreed. Explore Music was awful.

I once wrote about Explore Music:

July 8, 2011 @ 9:52 AM

Nevy

Let me guess.... Bookie is next!

Hide, Bookman! Duck for cover.

July 8, 2011 @ 10:03 AM

Alan Cross got some good quotes in Bert Archer's excellent The Ballad of Martin Streek.

July 8, 2011 @ 10:04 AM

CMac

Alan Cross had not worked directly for the Edge for a number of years.

July 8, 2011 @ 10:16 AM

Wandering Penguin

I have to say I have had no time for Alan Cross since the aliens ate his brain several years ago. Maybe he can find the antidote with this "firing".

Fun fact: I can't STAND Mary Ellen Beninger. The marriage may explain a lot. :)

July 8, 2011 @ 10:38 AM

To clarify: Alan Cross was a permanent, full-time employee of Corus Radio until June 30, 2011. Now he's not. His position was eliminated.

That means he's not in the office this week. He's no longer with Corus Radio, which means he's not with the Edge or any of their other radio / web properties.

July 8, 2011 @ 10:40 AM

CJ

is it for real this time??? Ive heard that rumor for years, and then he pops up somewhere else....

I believe you, but I bet he comes back sooner or later

July 8, 2011 @ 10:43 AM

Alan Cross, after that many years of service at those positions, likely made good money. It's far cheaper for Corus to buy his content in a freelance capacity.

The masses will probably never notice he's gone and he'll be back in the fall doing The Ongoing History of New Music for the Corus chain at a fraction of the cost to Corus.

The Ongoing Business of New Radio

July 8, 2011 @ 10:47 AM

Lardette

Jeff Woods stayed with Q107 with the same arrangement. There was no social media martyrdom required.

Could actually backfire for Alan.

July 8, 2011 @ 11:02 AM

Declan

The first incarnation of Exploremusic was dreadful (IIS based). They've re-made it a number of times and it's actually pretty good now. It's built with WP and is a lot more logical.

Alan is actually a very good writer and the content there is excellent.

NXNE was particularly well done, as they interviewed an insane amount of bands that you normally wouldn't hear from.

July 8, 2011 @ 1:02 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Might actually allow Alan to be heard on more radio stations t/o north america, 103.3 the Edge in Buffalo carried his ongoing history not too long ago though I dont listen to them maybe by freelancing it opens him up to more radio stations.

July 8, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

GTA Rob

Always loved the ongoing history. Have also read a couple of his books, also very good.
Too bad he's been let go but I've removed the edge from my pre-sets long ago, save for Sunday nights in the garage and the OHNM.

July 8, 2011 @ 9:41 PM

Lorne

So he's fired but keeps working for them and-- arg, radio hurts my brain.

I love Explore Music, but could never get into the website. I could never find links to anything that was mentioned on the radio show. They were always buried amongst a ton of other lists and links and other junk.

I do, though, keep up with the RSS feed so I can listen to each episode at work. Getting off the radio was one of the best moves they could have done. There's a TON more music in each episode, and the interviews are more candid.

I'll have to give the website another try one of these days.

July 8, 2011 @ 11:22 PM

CQ

I think Kasem was also "fired" this week from Hamilton's k-lite fm.
I had been massively enjoying the intact [and mainstream definitive] AT40 countdown replays since last August ending with last weekend's special July 4th 1983 Tops of the 80s so far re-broadcast. I never got hear his July 1981 post-Beatles Group special.

Tuned in today... and nothing doing! I now realize that excluding late weekday evenings of Ted O'Reilly at the former CJRT in the 90s, those recent AT40 reairings more than equals all of my last 24 years of 'intentional' radio listening combined. And the only time, throughout this time frame, that I have stayed tuned to any one station for over 50 consectutive minutes - let alone 3 or 4 solid hours.
Let me say - despite earlier criticism, I've granted Mr. Cross more intentional listenship opportunity than for the remaining entire GTA radio market - excepting for O'Reilly of course.
The mighty Casey is struck out.

July 9, 2011 @ 1:58 PM

Irvine

Probably the best thing that ever happened to Alan. FM Radio is the last place a guy that lives & breathes new music should be.

Passionate people need to be on the cutting edge of their chosen profession. FM radio is NOT the cutting edge. The world is all yours Alan so go out and kick some fucking ass.

July 9, 2011 @ 5:45 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Here is an interview with Alan about the restructuring, he definitely doesn't sound jaded about it.

Also read that AM640 didn't renew Dick Smyths commentary segment.

July 9, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

Richard S

The Edge keeps on getting worse.Flipped by it this morning. AC/DC's "Back in Black" was playing. Flipped again later and it was the equivalent of hearing 10 year old boys talk about caa caa and poo poo.
Remember when they were playing cutting edge music? Then they started playing Green Day in heavy rotation and, 18 years later, the exact same Green Day songs are still in heavy rotation.
RIP, Edge.