I Missed The Entire Myspace Era

rewindRumour has it Myspace is going to lay off at least 150 of its around 400 employees. I missed the entire Myspace era.

I never got Myspace, and never created a profile. Myspace was the biggest thing in social networking, and everyone seemed to flock to it, but I hated it. I truly hated it.

It was the worst designed site I'd ever seen. It seemed intentionally ugly and cumbersome. I couldn't comprehend the appeal to anyone over the age of 13. I once delved into the ugly world of Myspace when helping Custom share his music, and that experience was horrible.

As recently as 2006 I referred to it as the Myspace beast but today I never hear about it unless they're laying off a bunch of people. It seems the Myspace era came and went and I successfully managed to resist.

Myspace_logo2

Were you ever on MySpace?

Sam from england

I'm totally with you there- I was cajoled into setting up an account (when an attractive woman tells you to set up an account so that she can 'friend' you, you damn well set up an account). I managed to acquire a whopping 13 friends. Every time I signed in it took me about half an hour to find my profile or the page I wanted.

June 28, 2011 @ 1:32 PM

Irvine

When I read this I was reminded of the people that have a hate on for electric cars. Why do they hate electric cars? Because those cars aren't at the technological level that carbon combustion cars are. They put down the car saying it's not up to snuff but have never driven a car. They ignored that during the infancy of cars, people saw them as a fad & preferred the stability of horse and buggies.

That's where you are with Myspace. You're a so called "web guy" yet you ignore the history of the Internet & the foundations that built it. All the while you collect a pay cheque.

No doubt you would crap all over Netscape 1 for it's poor rendering of HTML 1. Or it's ugly interface. Or the cumbersome nature of PINE or Eudora for email. Or the even more cumbersome Winsock Trumpet when connecting via a modem to the Internet. Or the lousy tinny sound of the first Real Player as it introduced the world to "streaming".

Careful there Boon. You work in an industry that changes extremely rapidly. Your job might be next to be rendered obsolete because of "ugly interface".

June 28, 2011 @ 1:47 PM

Ryan G

never been on that site, and i've recently committed facebook suicide as well.

i also don't get twitter.

correction. i get it. i just don't care to hear about the minutiae of..well..anybody's life really.

i do, however, find some sites to be quite invaluable, timely and visually appealing, and those sites are redtube and xhamster. don't go there however if you're under 18 or you're Cheryl.

June 28, 2011 @ 4:15 PM

A.R.

There's a difference between quality of design and levels technological development, Irvine. A product might only be in an early stage of development but still respectable if it's well designed, easy to use, and functional. In the early era of cars, the cars that sold well were the ones that were best designed like the early touring cars and later the Model T. They weren't sophisticated, but they were enticing because they tougher, faster, and easier to use.

Myspace would have been like a cheap runabout, a design which represented an emerging technology but failed because of its impracticality; the Model T appeared as a far better designed alternative even though it wasn't that much of an advancement. No matter the stage of development, the quality of design is crucial towards success. That's what Mike needs to be careful of, and I'm sure he knows that because his blog works well.

June 28, 2011 @ 7:37 PM

felix

Yeah, I was a MySpacer before it was cool to be one. But, in my own defence, I was drinking a lot back then. Eventually after not logging in for a couple years, I just gave up and deleted the whole thing.

June 28, 2011 @ 7:41 PM

Michael

Nevermind the MySpace era, I'm currently avoiding the Facebook era.

So far so good...on avoiding BOTH Myspace and Facebook.

June 28, 2011 @ 8:22 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I have a MySpace but not sure if it still exists, haven't logged into it in well over a year if not 2. I got over it a long time ago. From what I'm hearing from friends now though it's really screwed up.

June 29, 2011 @ 12:26 AM

Chris in EY

What happened to Custom? Had my ipod on shuffle this am and Hey Mister hit. Running into Custom 2x in a day is weird after not hearing about him in years.

June 29, 2011 @ 10:13 AM

I have a whole category devoted to Custom at http://www.torontomike.com/custom/ but here's the tl;dr version...

his label went under, he almost signed a million deals since then, been told "new release is imminent" so many times I now take it with a massive grain of salt.

He's happy tho, living in Manhattan and creating music that almost nobody gets to hear. It's awesome.

June 29, 2011 @ 1:32 PM