imeem Dies, My Search for YouTube of Audio Continues

audioWhen Odeo stopped allowing audio uploads, I started looking for a replacement. Essentially, I was looking for the YouTube of audio.

I discovered imeem would pretty much do what I wanted. I could upload an audio clip, usually one of Tom Cheek's calls of Blue Jays baseball or a Humble and Fred bumper, and embed the player on this site. Although not perfect (sometimes it would only play 30 seconds on the site and would force a click to imeem.com to hear the rest), imeem did the job nicely and all was well.

Last week, all imeem players embedded on this site disappeared. Literally. Maybe Humble and Fred bits and sports calls are AWOL. MySpace bought imeem and is redirecting imeem.com to music.myspace.com. It would be easy to say MySpace killed imeem, but I understand imeem was dead before the ship even sank. MySpace gets a free pass on this one...

But now I'm looking for the YouTube of audio again. It might be Hound Bite, but maybe it's something else? Maybe it's YouTube, as ridiculous as that sounds.

Do I need to roll my own or is there a decent free audio sharing service a'la YouTube?

Buffaloboymike

maybe you could be a pioneer Mike, create one

December 14, 2009 @ 9:49 AM

imeem bled out - probably had lots of vc cashola behind it.

The perfect business venture!

December 14, 2009 @ 10:02 AM

Dizzy

Buffaloboymike is onto something - it'd be a great venture. You have a great following, which is an awesome place to start.

December 14, 2009 @ 10:09 AM

Lorne

Hard call. Most audio clips I come across are either small enough to be self-hosted; or they're a song, so they're put on YouTube along with a still image.

December 14, 2009 @ 2:02 PM

California Jason

I went thru the same thing. My 2nd choice is Grooveshark.

December 14, 2009 @ 7:52 PM

Steve

Speaking as a blind person, all of those sharing sites with their embedded players are annoying as all hell and need to die in a fire. Pretty much all of the buttons aren't labeled if the screenreader can see them at all, which makes it difficult to get clips to do simple things like play and stot. They also make pages look very cluttered. I love it when people link to stuff on YouTube or anywhere else instead of embedding, and it's great when people can host their own clips, makes it possible to download things like the Tom Cheek calls. As it is, I have to use an audio recorder to make mp3's for myself or pick through the source code to see if I can find the file and paste the direct link into my browser to do an end run around the goddamn cutesy player.

June 10, 2010 @ 3:53 PM