EZ Rock to Change Formats on Boxing Day - Now BOOM FM

radioAs a fan of the old Humble and Fred show that aired on CFNY throughout the 90s, Humble's role on the 97.3 EZ Rock morning show has been bittersweet. On the one hand, he's back doing mornings on Toronto radio. On the other hand, it's EZ Rock, home of Celine Dion, John Tesh and a soccer mom music paradise.

Thankfully for us old Humble and Fred fans, and fans of the old CFNY, EZ Rock is changing formats on Boxing Day and will become BOOM FM playing classic hits. No more "light favourites of yesterday and today" or whatever that music was supposed to be. It will become sort of an adult alternative station with a focus on classic hits. At least that's the buzz on the street.

It makes sense. Humble and Colleen in the mornings and then Maie Pauts. Goodbye Celine, hello Thompson Twins. Goodbye John Tesh, hello Tears For Fears. Goodbye EZ Rock, hello BOOM FM.

ezrock

shane alexander

i see it going tiple a, too. it makes sense that they hired pauts, now. i just hope kj will be ok. i'm sure they'll be letting him go.

i remember i was helping out with the overnights during the format flip when they were at 40 eglington and were with telemedia. tons of memories over there.

i just want to know why is stephanie smyth the one to break this news? isn't she still with chum?

December 23, 2009 @ 5:12 PM

shane alexander

December 23, 2009 @ 5:13 PM

Megan

Yippee!! Now I won't get sick of the music. I have it on in the morning for Humble, and it's basically the only channel I can get at work. 99.9 drove me nuts. How can stations play the same song almost every half hour! Besides, I vowed not to listen to 99.9 after H&F were gone. Roger and Marilyn need to retire, they started to irritate me. Can't wait to hear the new/old tunes!

December 23, 2009 @ 5:36 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

That is awesome, opening the door for a Fred return to the show?

December 23, 2009 @ 6:33 PM

Don't hold your breath for a Humble and Fred reunion. For the immediate future, that's for podcasts only.

I'd bet a chatty insider tipped off Stephanie Smyth. That's usually how it works.

December 23, 2009 @ 6:55 PM

Oldie

MIX, JACK, CHUM FM, CFNY and Y95 have all done this format to one degree or another in the last 10 years.

There are only so many old songs.

December 23, 2009 @ 7:17 PM

I don't think CHUM FM or CFNY have gone "classic hits".

It will be interesting to see what variety of classic hits we get.

December 23, 2009 @ 8:24 PM

dale

Another competition for Q107. I hope so - Derringer & his gang & tunes are TOO much Same old/Same old with same bands & same songs over & over. Stopped listening a while ago.

December 23, 2009 @ 8:40 PM

I'm going to guess the new 97 isn't your Zeppelin / Rolling Stones / AC-DC classic rock.

Q has nothing to worry about.

December 23, 2009 @ 8:47 PM

CQ

Dear Santa:
A Classic Education, Bird Automatic, Broadway Calls, Broken Records, Cats on Fire, The Cinematics, The Coast, Fear of Tigers, Gossip, Erik Hassle, HURTS, The Kritzlers, Lil Mama, Midnight Juggernauts, Neptune, Paper Moon, Plastic Palace Alice, Project Komakino, Stricken City, Young Galaxy,

... and then maybe a few Tears For Fears oldies mixed in.

December 23, 2009 @ 10:33 PM

Colleen

Ask and you shall receive! I have been lamenting for nearly a decade that there's no Toronto radio station for my demographic. I'm looking forward to it! But it certainly makes me miss Martin Streek again.

December 23, 2009 @ 11:03 PM

Rick

Bring it on ... right now, Toronto radio sucks. If they got Fred to round out the morning crew, that would be the icing on the cake.

We don't need another Q107... Kim Mitchel, talking about Kim Mitchel, playing Kim Mitchell music !! There is no room for another dance station either.

Looking forward to it!!

December 24, 2009 @ 12:23 AM

Anonymous

Oh dear - don't get excited - Classic Hits is Eagles into Elton John into Beatles into Beach Boys into Powder Blues. It's 1050 CHUM without the old oldies. That's what Astral specializes in in Quebec.

December 24, 2009 @ 1:16 AM

Anonymous

December 24, 2009 @ 1:16 AM

Ryan

i agree that folks of the old cfny shouldn't expect it back in this format flip. it's a business after all. if ratings were a challenge, relatively speaking, in the 80's for cfny..why would they bring back all that music for even less of that number, since that demo has gotten older..moved to the suburbs and had some yard apes.

personally i'd love it but they probably have to throw the proverbial net wider than a playlist comprised of nitzer ebb, smiths and the cure. just look at cfny's retro sunday night - it started off jam packed sundays at whisky saigon..now it's been reduced to 30 or 40 people at velvet underground. i actually went to the dance cave this past monday night for their retro night with dj shannon - tunes were great but again, the place wasn't close to being full.

the reality may be that people like me and many of you would love to have a resurgence of an old cfny format, but there simply isn't enough of us to make good business sense.

December 24, 2009 @ 9:41 AM

CQ

Bored Out Of My F'n Mind. And I was so excited after seeing an agreeable comment soon after mine last night :(

December 24, 2009 @ 11:03 AM

I wonder if Astral is aware of that Urban Dictionary meaning.

BOOM FM = Bored Out Of My Fucking Mind

Too funny...

December 24, 2009 @ 11:12 AM

Really

This might have less in common with the old CFNY than AM 740 does. At least Moses has some zany late night stuff.

But they'll be competing with Vinyl 95.3, rumored to have hired some old 1050 CHUM types.

Not only does Roger Ashby still get to be on a station that plays new tunes, he has more listeners than anybody else.

December 24, 2009 @ 11:19 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Glad to see HH still will be on air, could stand the old format for him, but my e$trogen levels were raised and my te$to$terone lowered when I tuned in before.

December 24, 2009 @ 2:27 PM

jason | getyouroj.com

The most amusing part of these entries is always the cyclical comments on the subject - whether or not to "bring back' CFNY, 'bring back' Humble & Fred. . . yeesh

Here's hoping they'lll try something NEW, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Still love Humble & Maie though... in fact... that has a nice ring to it.

December 24, 2009 @ 2:49 PM

www.ezrock.com now has a countdown clock.

A Better 97.3

Over the month of December we asked you, our listeners to help us build a better radio station. You told us what you want, and at 9 a.m. eastern time on December 26th, we invite you to tune in for the launch of Toronto's newest radio station. We thank you for helping us build a better 97.3 - and look forward to your comments about the new station. From all of us at 97.3, Happy holidays!

December 24, 2009 @ 3:46 PM

Paul

Just heard about this upcoming change and got all excited 'till I heard HH was sticking around...I really detest this person. Is 97.3 ever gonna get it right?

December 24, 2009 @ 4:55 PM

jason | getyouroj.com

Humble is the reason I will give it chance... not too many other radio schlocks could get me to tune in to FM

Merry Xmas!!!!!

December 24, 2009 @ 7:23 PM

David

Can a program director in Toronto take some chances? Now we have Vinyl and Boom going head to head...

Why not be creative like Shore 104 in Vancouver? They are what's about to happen next in Toronto...you watch...I give it two more BBM books...

Give it a listen for yourself!

December 26, 2009 @ 10:19 AM

Lisa

been listening all day today as EZ Rock was our work radio station. It certainly is more motivating than the previous format of yawn-inducing elevator music. Have heard everything today from Elton John to Heart to Bo Rhap to the Beatles. THIS is what I've been waiting for. Mix tried, but then became Virgin and got sucked into the Top 40 vortex of playing Rhianna, Britney and handful of others over and over again. Jack was close, but not quite. Q hit the rockers only. This rocks!!!

December 29, 2009 @ 1:37 PM

Jehm

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHICH STATION JOHN TESH AND DELIAH IN OH. HELP, HELP PLEASE...

December 30, 2009 @ 9:36 PM

Jehm

December 30, 2009 @ 9:37 PM

Jehm

I AM REALLY MISSING THE OLD RADIO STATION

December 30, 2009 @ 9:43 PM

AP

Couldn't have said it any better than Lisa.. amazing mix of music, seems to combine q107, 98.1, and JACK fm... lovin' it

January 5, 2010 @ 2:48 PM

Penny

My friends and I were all loyal listeners of 97.3 EZ Rock and are really disappointed in the new BOOM. We thought you had a great selection of music and enjoyed John Tesh and especially Delilah. We're no longer listening to you and have all moved to 98.1.

February 7, 2010 @ 11:47 AM

Tammy

Personally a big BOOO for Boom, Delilah and John Tesh are awsome hosts, definitely a bog loss.

February 8, 2010 @ 9:45 PM

Karina Marquez

I dont like Boom fm
it sucks i really miss Ez rock!
Def a BIG BOG LOSS couldnt boom find another station to ruin

February 14, 2010 @ 10:02 PM

Jules

Thank you for making the change! I am a loyal Q fan (in the mornings especially) but I now go back and forth as I'm a 'Classic Rock/80's' fan all the way. Music today, for the most part, sucks big time!

My husband and I also listen to Jack Buffalo - fantastic line up of music. Time we had a similar line up of music..though a question for Boom - are you sneaking in your old stuff? Thought I tuned you in and heard a 'Celine'type song. Tesh/Delilah - sorry but time to end it. No loss in my opinion.

February 24, 2010 @ 8:17 AM

Paul

Yeah!! This radio station is alive again! The easy listening stuff was OK, but I need something with a bit more kick to get me through the day! Thanks!

March 17, 2010 @ 10:08 AM

Daniela

This station is AMAZING!!!!!!!
Thanks for the change. :)

March 31, 2010 @ 1:34 PM

David

The BOOM is a really crap station!!! I missed EZ Rock 97.3 so much! I changed to 98.1, 92.5 and 104.5 etc.

May 30, 2010 @ 12:46 PM

nener

Delilah we miss you,This Radio station sucks with out you guyz

June 13, 2010 @ 12:21 AM

Nate

What I'm gonna miss most is Christmas time. Every year, since I was kid, heck even since my mom was kid, we would put EZ Rock on. With that familiar and nostalgic jingle, and Delilah late at night, it became a part of a christmas memory for me. oh well, things change I guess.

October 23, 2010 @ 11:16 PM

Steven

Since this 97.3 radio station is already boom, I really miss Delilah who used to dedicate songs for listeners. Also I also miss Darryl Henry and other ez rock personnal who used to work there. It's been so many memories that I used to play EZ Rock since I was growing up. But at least there is one easy listening radio station that I listen to which is 98.1 chfi.

March 13, 2011 @ 4:49 PM

Steven

Since this 97.3 radio station is already boom, I really miss Delilah who used to dedicate songs for listeners. Also I also miss Darryl Henry and other ez rock personnal who used to work there. It's been so many memories that I used to listen to EZ Rock since I was growing up. But at least there is one easy listening radio station that I listen to which is 98.1 chfi.

March 13, 2011 @ 4:50 PM

Steven

March 13, 2011 @ 4:51 PM

jj l

I'm actually really disappointed. I miss Delilah... She was awesome~ =)

And as for John Tesh, it doesn't really matter because he's on 98.1 chfi every weekday evenings now~!!!!! YEAHH!!!!! ;D

Well, yeah... Personally, I think the change didn't work out so well, as 97.3 has now lost part of its audience...

98.1 CHFI!!!!!!! -better not turn out to be like 97.3 or else i'll dieee~!!!! X_X

October 10, 2011 @ 1:37 AM

PLEASE COME BACK DELILAH!!! :.(....I

COME BACK DELILAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEEEEEASE!!!!! ME AND MY BROTHER MISS U SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!! WE LOVED YOUR MUSIC AND DEDICATIONS!!!
AND JTLYK(just to let you know) BOOM IS A SAD STATION... BUT I'D BE HAPPY IF DELILAH CAME BACK *hint, hint, wink, wink* (>^^)> O(^..^)O

December 29, 2011 @ 10:56 PM