Francois Beauchemin Signs With Maple Leafs

LeafsIn the comments of this entry we were debating who would be our top six defencemen next season. We have a glut of worthy defenders, including Kaberle, Schenn, Komisarek, Finger, Van Ryn, Exelby, White and Oreskovic. Brian Burke decided that wasn't enough. He's just signed free agent defencemen Francois Beauchemin to a three-year deal believed to be in the range of $10 million.

I really like this signing at that price. Burke previously brought Beauchemin to the Ducks where he helped them win the cup in '07. Beauchemin eats a lot of minutes, plays a solid physical style and makes our team better.

Clearly, Kaberle has played his last game for the Leafs.

Ryan

I am so excited with our D right now.

Now to get some goal scorers. I think you still need to score to win hockey games.

I'd love to know where the money and cap space will come from to better our offense with our D signings though.

Either way, I like the personality of our D line. Teams will not look forward to playing us and that is step number One!!

July 6, 2009 @ 6:10 PM

elvis

I disagree. We'll end up the same or just slightly ahead of where we were last year and that gives us an even crappier draft position.

We want to be in 2009 Islander territory for suckage in 2010! Slow down Burke!

July 6, 2009 @ 6:21 PM

gail

The road ahead looks long but not nearly as long as the road behind.

July 6, 2009 @ 7:33 PM

Toronto Mike

Who needs goal scorers when the opposition can't get a shot on net?

July 6, 2009 @ 8:05 PM

Steve

Kaberle has to go for someone who can put the puck in the net. As far as I know, someone on the Leafs has to score a goal in order to win a game.

July 6, 2009 @ 8:28 PM

Toronto Mike

We'll win 1-0 every game and Schenn will set a record for defencemen with 82 goals.

July 6, 2009 @ 9:47 PM

Anonymous

I think the Kaberle trade is inevitable. The question is which other defenceman is going. Going down the list I think it has to be White. Shenn, Komisarek, Van Ryn, and Exelby are the most recent additions. Finger I don't think anyone will take on that contract,Oreskovic can go to the minors for another year. Leaving us with White the second most tradable commodity the Leafs might have. And what about Strallman?

July 6, 2009 @ 9:48 PM

Cini

Sorry, forgot to post wrote the above note

July 6, 2009 @ 9:50 PM

Matt

Why did we let Kubina go, who had 14 goals and 40 points last season and then sign Komi, who had 2 goals and 11 points last year, for the same price? I would have rather extended Kaberle, with the addition of Beauch (which I like) we're plenty big enough.

July 7, 2009 @ 9:40 AM

Argie

I like the D now but they obviously need some scoring. That, and Vesa to stay healthy.

July 7, 2009 @ 10:01 AM

Toronto Mike

Yes, the D is sweet, much improved, and The MONSTER is in the fold to challenge Toskala.

But yes, the goals can't all come from Blake, Stajan and Poni. We need a couple of bonafide scorers.

July 7, 2009 @ 10:08 AM