Enough is Enough: End the Civic Workers Strike

cityhallFirstly, I want Chuck to take note of how I'm now calling this a Toronto civic workers strike, not a garbage strike. It's not just our garbage men and women who are on strike, it's a whole bunch of other city folk as well. Happy now, Chuck?

Having said that, it's the lack of garbage pick-up that has me losing my patience. This afternoon I'm off to a BBQ to celebrate my brother's birthday. Do you know what I'm bringing him? I'm bringing him a garbage bag of organic waste that's been rotting away in my mud room. He, unlike me, lives in Etobicoke where they're lucky enough to have contracted out their garbage pick-up. They haven't missed a beat. He can find room in his green bin for some of my refuse.

Although I really don't produce much waste, my wife and kids do. For almost a month I've been storing away garbage and recyclables while finding a home for my organic waste in temporary dumps and the homes of friends and family living in Etobicoke or Mississauga. I'm tired of it.

Mayor David Miller and CUPE, let's make a deal. Enough is enough.

lets-make-a-deal

Previous entries about Toronto's civic workers strike:

Dizzy

The only way I really keep tabs on Toronto politics and happenings is through this blog and Candianthinker. Did this strike really cancel all the Canada Day events and happenings?

I never ceases to amaze me what people can get away with sometimes.

A bizarre story: I worked as a security guard a number of years ago, and for some stupid reason, we were part of some union. We were told (and it was written in our guidebook) that we weren't allowed to strike since, supposedly, security guards are an essential service. Whereas, transit and garbage disposal aren't? Uhhhh.....?

July 18, 2009 @ 11:26 AM

Anonymous

My wife works for the city and she is on strike. She is an inside worker. She told me that if the last city offer was put to a vote, most would accept it. It's ego and pride prolonging the strike....not to mention the horrible leadership of David Miller.

July 18, 2009 @ 1:11 PM

Toronto Mike

Some Canada Day events were scrapped due to the strike, but Ontario Place and Downsview Park still had fireworks.

Also, events like the CHIN Picnic, Pride Day Parade and Indy race have all gone on as scheduled. So most Toronto summer stuff is still taking place.

To be very honest, other than the fact I see some temporary dumps stinking up the air, the only negative I've noted is the lack of garbage pick-up, although I just dropped my organic waste and my mom's organic waste off at the local temp dump and now have a clean slate.

Also, it's worth noting, I don't need city daycare services and my kids' parks and rec camp isn't for another week and will be cancelled if this thing isn't resolved, which would be a bummer.

July 18, 2009 @ 1:38 PM

Mary

This strike is getting silly Mike. I agree, they have made their point. Yes, they waited until children were out of school and camp was a necessity for many a family to continue working. Yes, they closed pools and Parks and rec programs that lots of city children depend on for fun during summer. Yes, garbage is building up and causing concern over health issues. Yes, the heat of summer does not help the situation. There are many men and women in a recession like this who would line up to get half the wages these City Workers make and be glad to have a job.They think they have us where it hurts. I say step in now and stop this unnecessary strike. Some of the fat has to be skimmed off for a lot of companies where we have seen trouble because of the indulgences of the 80's. You would think the GM story would be a lesson to everybody but no one learns from anyone.David Miller whatever it takes to show that you lead this city, do it now, or forever hold your peace!

July 18, 2009 @ 1:52 PM

Annemarie

Windsor's has been going on for longer!

Just move to Etobicoke or Mississauga. :)

I saw this on Global News:

July 18, 2009 @ 4:09 PM

Horonymous

I think there are more than enough city managers to clean up the temporary dump sites. But I don' think they want to get there hands dirty.

July 18, 2009 @ 8:26 PM

Rob

It is time for the citizens of Toronto to take back there City by
1) Go to www.onetoronto.ca and see how you can volunteer your services in your city. If you have access to a cell phone that takes video, bring it a long. Document the work you have done, also for evidence if you get harassed by the CUPE goon squads.
2) You the citizens of Toronto, though your property taxes, pay the City for certain services, that have been withdrawn. Demand from your counsellors and to the Mayors Office a property tax rebate.
If that falls on deaf ears, remind them that election time is approaching next year.

People of Toronto organize your collective will against both side of this "pissing match" and say "THIS IS MY CITY, I WILL NOT BE HELD HOSTAGE TO SELF SERVING UNIONIST, BURCRATS AND POLITIANS.”

July 19, 2009 @ 11:18 AM

James

I think I'm at the stage where I'm equally disgusted at both sides. I don't care how it ends, I just want it to end. This is ridiculous.

July 19, 2009 @ 6:30 PM

kelly

Downtown Toronto is a mess with garbage on the ground and you would think that tourists would have enough respect for our city to not be throwing their garbage on the ground...but unfortunately that is not the case.

July 20, 2009 @ 9:44 AM

Liz

My husband was 'volun-told' into Local 79 during amalgamation. The union sickens him. He works for the former City of Etobicoke - and doesn't have any of the stupid crap those union a-holes are after (the sick bank, etc). He is grateful to have a job. His boss called him this morning (great person). He gave my husband an update about a co-worker whose husband has been without his cancer medication since the strike began because they can't afford the $8,000.00 (yes, 8 grand) a week for it. Must be a pretty shitty benefits plan the City offers, eh? Those grade 10 educated garbage douche bags should drop to their knees with gratitude that they are employeed at all. I hope they fall underneath their f-ing trucks. I hope people make their lives miserable when they get back to work.

If by some miracle your kids do get to camp, Mike, I wonder if there'll be any leaders left to run it. Many of them have had to take other jobs - and understandably so.

So it looks like we're going to drain our savings for this insanity. My anger knows no bounds on this thing. I hate unions and I hate the people who support them.

I wonder, how do these people work together when they finally get back to work? It's amazing that the union can brain wash a number of their dumb ass flock. It's truly sickening.

I agree with the earlier comment - yes, the workers would definitely accept the City's offer but those criminals heading up the union won't take the offer to them for a vote.

Sorry to carry on but this is awful all around. Ok, back to work!

July 20, 2009 @ 12:07 PM