Walt Poddubny, Dead at 49

In MemoriumWalt Poddubny was 49. He played 11 NHL seasons for the Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs, the New York Rangers, Quebec Nordiques and New Jersey Devils. He had 184 goals and 238 assists in 468 games and topped the 30-goal mark three times.

Leaf fans, I need some help with a vague memory I have. I remember listening to a Leafs game in the early or mid-80s and a huge goal was scored by Walt Poddubny. As I recall the goal, it slowly rolled over the goal line. In fact, I can hear the call of the goal as "rolling... rolling... rolling... the puck is in the net" or something like that.

I'm pretty sure that it was Poddubny's goal and if this wasn't a playoff game, it was a crucial late-season game, possibly in overtime.

Does anyone remember this Walt Poddubny goal for the Maple Leafs?

Walt Poddubny

Toronto Mike

I now think this Walt Poddubny goal I remember occurred late in game two of the Norris Division semi-final in 1986. The Leafs beat the Chicago Black Hawks 6-4 on this night.

Does anyone out there remember the details surrounding Walt Poddubny's goal, our fifth of the night, on April 10, 1986?

March 21, 2009 @ 10:27 PM

Peter Poddubny

I am Walt's brother and have that game on VHS. I am going to have to review it and will post later. I am a little bummed out now and looking thru some of his memorabilia. I'm gonna miss the big oaf. Any other memories of Walt would be great to hear.

March 21, 2009 @ 11:00 PM

Peter, best thoughts to you and your family, I remember the name (Walt's) from my early and teen years in the 80's watching the Canucks and the Oilers, usually the Canucks got smoked!

March 21, 2009 @ 11:56 PM

Deeply saddened and shocked.Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time Peter. Curtis,Cathy,and Kyle.

Rest in peace Walt.

March 22, 2009 @ 12:21 AM

John Gelmon

I remember chatting with Walt before the start of a game you were playing in at North York (then a city in Metropolitan Toronto) Centennial Arena in 1989. He was kind enough to chat and answer any hockey related questions. You were playing for the Thunder Bay team of which Walter was the assistant coach in a weekend youth hockey tournament.

I really enjoyed watching him play for the Leafs. He was a hard working forward who took the game seriously and scored a lot of meaningful goals.

John Gelmon

March 22, 2009 @ 12:31 AM

Mel M

Peter, I'd like to express my condolences to you and yours and all who knew Walt. I met him at a bar while visiting Toronto in 1982. He noticed I had these buttons on my jacket. One of them was with the 3 Stooges. He began to tell me what a big 3 Stooges fan he was so I gave him the button to keep and in time he invited myself and a friend (we're from Windsor) up to his apt. next to the Gardens to see his 3 Stooges collection. (I'll never forget it for we had just seen Walt play earlier that night against Hartford) He had lots of 3 stooges memorabilia especially videos. He was very nice to us and in fact we met up with him a couple of weeks later when the Leafs played in Detroit and were staying at the Renaissance Centre. His roommate on that trip escapes my memory? Barry Melrose and Mike Palmeteer were a couple of the guys whom I remember seeing back at the hotel. Walt was a very personable guy and I'll never forget meeting him. Wishing you lots of good memories that I hope you too can share with many others. I'm sorry for Walt's passing.

Mel M.
Windsor, Ont.

March 22, 2009 @ 2:22 AM

Alex Dupuis

Hey peter I'm very sadened to hear what had happened. Our prayers are with you and your family. I'm happy to have had a great friendship with him. Sad to see him go. He will be greatly missed but also greatly remembered. May he find peace. I love yeah Walt.

March 22, 2009 @ 2:33 AM

Justin Linebaugh

There I was just logging on to NHL.com to check the standings and to my shock I saw the headline, "Walt Poddubny has died." My heart dropped when I saw this. I met Walt back in 2007 as I knew his daughter Jamie quite well. I did not know what to think before I met him, but Jamie was like, "you're gonna love him, he's a big bear and kind of looks like Shrek (this made me scared now)!" But once I met the guy, I thought he was fantastic! We talked about his career, football, women and the 2 things that made him most proud, his daughters Jamie and Jordan (Jo Jo who he referred to her as). I spent many Sunday's watching some football with him and even went on one of his 4'bying adventures with him and Jamie in his back yard in that big ol' red Ford! What a blast! Walt had even taken me to a Leafs game where we sat in the alumni box and after he took me in the dressing room to show me what it was all about there. He hurt his knee that night and Jamie had bought him a cane to help him walk and he would use it to clear the way..you had to be there, what a mess..LOL! The next day I took him to Niagara Falls, what a night that was. It's so great watching that guy in action, the women were just drawn to his great presence, sense of humour and personality (maybe because we took him to Hooters!). What a great guy! I have spent Thnaksgiving with his family and once meeting his mom I could see where he got all his energy from! He has a beautiful family and they all made me feel at home when I was with them! I haven't spoken to Walt in about a year now since I left Thunder Bay but he is definately someone I will never forget. One of the last times I was with him we were actually wrestling in his living room while his daughters watched and laughed away! I wish all my deepest condolences to his family, especially Jamie and Jordan as I knew how special that bond was which they had shared with their father. Walt gave me a jersy which I will have forever to help me remember what a great man I had the pleasure of knowing! Justin Linebaugh

March 22, 2009 @ 11:37 AM

Hey Peter... my thoughts adn prayers are to you and your family. I'm only 31 but remember walt when he was on the rangers, devils and nordiques. I'm in Jersey and a huge devils fan. i remmember my dad telling me (who is a rangers fan) that having Poddubny was huge for the devils because he was a veteran player with good scoreing skills and a team guy. I remember watching him in a devils uniform...i actually think i have one of his cards...anyway... Everyone knows who Howe, Messier, Gretzky...etc are...but only real hockey fans know how much he meant to the game and his family and friends will know how much of an impact he made where it really counts...in your lives.

March 22, 2009 @ 1:06 PM

mike martin

I went to public school with walt when we were kids.

My heart goes out to his family. I just heard and it saddens me. Walt was always a sports nut and worked so hard at beating us at everything we played.
I will miss Walt, sweat, Poddubny.

March 22, 2009 @ 1:10 PM

Stirling Wright

Many fond memories of Walt! We worked together, roomed together and lived together for a couple years and he will always be a huge part of my life. Best wishes to the family!Bless you all!

March 22, 2009 @ 1:39 PM

Hobo Joe

Hello Peter,

We appreciated him in New Jersey and honored he ended his NHL days with the Devils.

I have some of his cards in my all time Devil collection, forever remembered. Thanks and all my best to you and your family.

March 22, 2009 @ 8:39 PM

I have not heard the name in a long time..sad to here it today.

March 22, 2009 @ 9:11 PM

Karl Szugalew

Walt was like my brother. My best friend from age 3 right through school. He was a loyal friend through thick and thin. That goal "rollin rollin rollin" - that was just like his life. He kept rollin. We started watching the Stooges in kindergarden and never looked back. Mike Martin (I remember you well - you were the other guy in public school we wouldn't fight)- you nailed it. He liked to beat us at everything. He was the best at all sports. He won most of the time at board games. He even won at ramdom stuff like cards and dice games. He was a winner. His first game of organized junior peewee hockey he held the puck on a string and scored 6 easy goals. That was his last game of "junior" peewee as well. He was the first to "roof" one playing baseball at Algonquin school and to dunk on those 8 foot hoops. He loved a good time and knew what one was and a great friend to many. RIP buddy

March 23, 2009 @ 9:30 AM

I just heard of the sad news this morning. Growing up in the 80's watching the Maples Leafs, Walt was one of my favourite players - very smooth player with great hands. It was shocking when I heard the news on the radio this morning. I wish his family all the best. RIP Walt.

March 23, 2009 @ 10:43 AM

Kurt Daniels

I was saddened when I heard the news, I worked with Walt in Las Vegas and Orlando when he was doing roller hockey. He was a good friend, gonna miss him.

March 23, 2009 @ 11:35 AM

Hany Ishak

Peter, my condolences to you and your family. Many fond memories from high school (him standing on the hood of my car to attach mesh to playground basketball hoops - 'don't worry, I'm light on my feet') to sneaking him into the local YMCA while he played for the leafs (of course, the other guys were amazed that a hockey player also had a basketball shooting touch). Always a joy to be with and a great friend who never threatened you in any way - unlike the two little killer dogs you guys had!

March 23, 2009 @ 11:48 AM

On behalf of all of our members, past & present we send out our sincerest and deepest condolences to the entire PODDUBNY family and friends. He was a very special hockey player and an even better person, lots of laughs over the years.

March 23, 2009 @ 3:52 PM

Rachel Callaway

I cried the night I read that Walt had died. It flashed across the screen during a game I was watching. I met him when I was about 8-years-old and had a huge crush on him (according to my mom). He played with the Wichita Wind. That team actually started my love for hockey. I have a lot of sweet memories of that time in my life. The pictures I have of him will always be treasured. I send the greatest admiration and love from my family to yours.
Rachel (Davis) Callaway

March 23, 2009 @ 5:53 PM

Colin Stewart

My thoughts are with you and your family. You know I have memories of Walter and the times we spent together from Kindergarten to the end of his Ranger days. Most of them are too personal to share here but my apologies to everyone who got caught in the wake and hopefully we can laugh a bit when we see each other. I was shocked when I heard the news on Hockey Night In Canada (I rarely watch the second game yet alone the intermission, I guess someone wanted me to know). I'm thinking about Walt every hour, a couple of years ago I saw him at the Bluesfest and he said we should get together for a drink but we never did. You always think you'll get another chance. Karl call me when your in town it's been too long and I don't want to miss anymore chances. You too Hany.

March 23, 2009 @ 6:01 PM

Peter P

Thanks for all your great comments friends. They really help in this tough time. Colin, Hany, Karl its great to here from you guys. My family loves to here that you guys are thinking of us at this difficult time. RIP Walt. Too Young Too Soon. I love you man.

March 23, 2009 @ 7:34 PM

paul maclean

hey peter i live in the toronto area and remember walt very well while playing for the leafs my deepest sympathy to you and your family at this tough time paul maclean oakville ontario

March 23, 2009 @ 11:45 PM

Lorianne Pennells

I worked at Sick Kids in the early 80's. Walt was a friend and came to see one of the very sick children I looked after. He gave him his stick after a Hat Trick. This child never forgot Walt. He came to see him at the Gardens whenever he had a chance. He was so proud to be met by this selfless man. He will always remember Walt. So will I.

March 24, 2009 @ 8:07 PM

Karl Szugalew

Stewy, We'll be in touch. Here's my e-mail karlsugar@hotmail.com. I'll be up there the 1st week of July.
Pete my intent was to fly up for the funeral but no flights are open. I've got some old photos of Walt I would like his kids to have. Maybe I can send you them. Thanks guys and peace to everyone.

March 24, 2009 @ 9:13 PM

Peter Poddubny

That would be great Karl. Email me at poduski75@gmail.com.

March 24, 2009 @ 10:56 PM

A Long Time Aces Fan

As a fan of the Anchorage (now Alaska) Aces from the mid ' 90's on, I send my condolences to Walt's family. He was, without a doubt, a most inspiring and personable leader for the Aces and the city of Anchorage. We were lucky to have him share those years and create memories with us here. God Bless.
Terry K.

March 25, 2009 @ 2:57 AM

Peter Poddubny

I have been looking through some of Walts old video highlight tapes but cannot find any of his Toronto video highlites. If anyone out there has any or knows who I can contact for some please let me know.
God Bless

March 25, 2009 @ 11:41 PM

I had a very good working relationship with Walt that spanded over the 6 seasons that he coached and managed the Alaska Aces of the WCHL. I sent a number of my clients to Alaska over the years and Walt was always grateful and accommodating. I will not forget the opportunity that he provided these young men to play professional hockey. We had many telephone conversations over the years and for that "Thank You".

April 1, 2009 @ 2:45 PM

Toronto Mike

Hi Peter,

I'm very sorry for your loss. I understand LeafsTV sometimes airs that game 2 of the Leafs-Blackhawks series in 1986.

If I learn it's airing, I'll figure out how to get Walt's goal onto YouTube so we can share it here.

April 1, 2009 @ 2:55 PM

Tony & Joe DiGiacinto

Terribly sorry to hear of the news. I remember the days we played at Carrick and Walt was there to dazzle us with his skill...and give me the odd face wash as well :-)!! We didn't get that pleasure at Carrick too often...but it has left lasting memories that I share with all of my hockey loving friends I know today....."we got to play pick up with a pro"!!

Joe & I send our condolences and wish the best for your family in this difficult time.

With our Prayers

Tony & Joe D.

April 13, 2009 @ 7:51 AM

George The Greek

I'm watching Classic NHL Hockey on Leafs TV and Poddubny scored a great goal in game 5 of the quarter finals against St. Louis in 1986.

I picked up the laptop to see what Poddubny is up to and find out he passed away.

Terrible. I worked at MLG in concessions in the mid-80's - the best job a kid could have - and got to watch Walt play. I loved his wrist shot.

What a bummer.

April 28, 2009 @ 5:30 PM

Dave L.

Hey Peter,

I was a good friend of Walt's for a couple of years while he was here in Toronto. I even looked after his apt. next to the Gardens one summer while he was back home. He was a great guy and a great friend. We shared some great times hanging out down in the bar district in Toronto, playing table-top rod hockey (he had just as good a wrist-shot in that as on the ice!), and watching 3 Stooges.
I was stunned and saddened to hear of his passing.
My condolences to the familly.

May 28, 2009 @ 2:54 PM

Paul Nerino

Hey Peter, I remember Algonquin Ave. where my grandparets used to live. They always talked about Nadia coming over and visiting...your mom treated them well. In the later years we used to drive by your place and say Walt lives there (wonder how his hockey is going) My Nanna passed away two weeks ago...guess she is visiting Walt now taking care of him as your mom did for them. My Grandpa is almost 100 (this summer) still creating sh_t at the Heritage...God be with you and your family.

Paul Nerino

June 8, 2009 @ 7:50 AM

John Wylie

Many great memories of walt ,met him in toronto right after he got traded from Edmonton. We became really good friends and hung out until he was traded to the Rangers.He was a Class guy with a big heart who everyone liked. I will never forget Walt and the great times we had.I was shocked to here the news.My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

August 24, 2009 @ 7:44 PM

Happy Birthday my good friend Walt....I miss you and our daily conversations....all the best to you my pal on this your 50 th birthday...

February 14, 2010 @ 7:59 PM

I don't how many people read this now that it is more than a year old since the heart breaking news....but I just want to say that a day does not pass that I don't think of my good friend Walt.....I told his sister that if I was ever blessed with another child and if it was a boy....one of his names would be Walt....wouldn't be his first name...I wouldn't want to burden the little guy with that responsibilty...well we were blesed to be pregant again (dispite our odds) but after 15 weeks we lost the baby...and yes it was a boy....take care of my son Walt...I know you will...

July 8, 2010 @ 8:50 PM

Len Moskalyk

God where do I start. The guy could flat out hit a softball.
The West End Spiders. The great weekends we all spent in Duluth playing softball. Mackett, Owchar, Koski, My brother. We had so much fun that time seemed to stand still.
Sorry Pete but you were always the little kid that used to like to hang around.
I remember when Walter was traded to the Leafs. It was crazy. One of your best friends playing for your favourite team. I recall sitting in Dave Macketts car in the Safeway parking lot trying to pick up the Leafs game on he radio. Dave had a special radio that could pick up China. Even though craclky I remember hearing "assisted by #12 Walt Poddubny". I think we had six guys in the car, snowing outside, windows fogged up and us going nuts cheering.
We had a ton of fun growing up at the Westend.
Spiders have lost two great guys. Walt and Barry Niemi. The #4 and #5 hitters.

November 22, 2011 @ 8:35 PM

Deb McDonald

How appropriate is it that one of the sweetest guys I've ever known was born on "happy hearts day"? Not a day goes by that Walt does not cross my mind in one manner or another. He will always be loved ~

Happy Birthday Walt...

February 14, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

God has given us our memories, that we might have roses in December.

Not a day goes by Walt ~ you're always there...

March 21, 2012 @ 8:55 AM

Hi, this is Andy, writing from Germany. I saw Walt Poddubny when he was playing for "EC Bsd Nauheim" in Germany ..

It was such a big thing for us in this small city to see a former NHL player playing in our old, little hockey arena. I can also remember Walt beating up a player of the opponent team. And of course I remember a lot of beautiful goals, scored by Walt.

May 23, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

I was a season ticket holder back when Walt played for the Rangers,met him after a game one night,still one of my all-time favorites,very personable guy,chatted with us for awhile.i live in TX now and guarantee you im the only guy in TX,with an autographed pic of Walt hanging in my bar.Sorry for your lose Pete,Ranger fans will miss him.

April 18, 2013 @ 5:47 PM

Wish I know you

February 8, 2014 @ 10:47 PM

Met Walt in Indy when he played with Witchita. Many fond memories. He was such a sweet guy & I think of him often.

February 9, 2015 @ 1:40 AM