Two-Thousand-and-Ten or Twenty-Ten?

CalendarTen years ago, it was 1999. We called that year "nineteen-ninety-nine". Canada became a nation in 1867. We called that year "eighteen-sixty-seven". For the past nine years, however, we took a different approach to how we say our calendar years.

This is 2009. We all say "two-thousand-and-nine". For some reason, we don't say "twent-oh-nine". I think that's because the "oh" part of "twenty-oh-nine" is awkward.

Next year is 2010. I'll bet we all call it "two-thousand-and-ten". Shouldn't we go back to the way it always was and call it "twenty-ten"?

Which will it be: two-thousand-and-ten or twenty-ten?

Ray

How do people refer to the movie? 2010: The Year We Make Contact

I thought I would say twenty-ten, but then saying it enough times - two thousand and ten sounds right too.

February 10, 2009 @ 1:44 PM

Ajax Mike

Twenty-ten for me.

February 10, 2009 @ 2:29 PM

Mike Kic

Doesn't the Vancouver Olympics already promote the "twenty-ten" Olympic Games? I'm going with "twenty-ten"

February 10, 2009 @ 4:19 PM

Fredericton Steve

it'll be twenty ten

February 10, 2009 @ 4:28 PM

Ed

I've been saying Twenty-Ten already when we talk about it. Mainly because its only 3 syllables to Two Thousand And Ten's 5. Shorter and easier to say!

February 10, 2009 @ 5:54 PM

Jon

Clearly this question can be answered by only one man..

Justin Pogge

February 10, 2009 @ 5:55 PM

dale

What a great question.
Twenty ten in my books & then go on from there.

February 10, 2009 @ 6:24 PM

Rob

"Y2kX" has my vote or maybe "MMX" it's a lot faster to say.

February 10, 2009 @ 6:55 PM

Roshan

I bet Mike was sitting down for breakfast and this thought came to his mind just like that. Ha, I guess both will be used but I personally go for twenty 10.

February 10, 2009 @ 9:33 PM

Toronto Mike

Believe it or not, I've been thinking about this for weeks.

For the record, I like Twenty-Ten.

February 10, 2009 @ 9:38 PM

elvis

Lots of people have been already been shortening "two thousand and one" etc to "two oh one" etc...

Twenty-ten it is.

February 10, 2009 @ 10:05 PM

Mike from Lowville

I guess all you people are too young to remember this, Zager & Evans - In the year 2525.mp3 They sang it Twenty Five, Twenty Five. I said ├Čn the year Two Thousand and then Twenty oh One, Twenty oh Two.........Twenty oh Nine. Had a few strange looks from some. I heard one person say, Twenty ought One but I think he was named Jethro...lol.

February 11, 2009 @ 10:00 AM

Horonymous

Deux mille dix.

February 11, 2009 @ 10:52 AM

Gary

Just re-watched Shawshank this weekend and in it Brooks says he arrived there "in ought 5"

February 11, 2009 @ 12:42 PM

kyle

either is good, just as long as you don't call it twenty-oh-ten (i've heard that one)

February 11, 2009 @ 9:38 PM

Mike from Lowville

"two oh one" is closer to a room number than a year, in my eyes but, that's just me.

February 11, 2009 @ 10:31 PM

Mike from Lowville

Oh, on the header......."I'm the only bee in your bonnet!"

February 11, 2009 @ 10:33 PM

Dawson

I've been saying twenty o for yrs. Even back in the 80's I was referring to after 2000 as twenty... more modern sounding.. it was always 19 01 and 18 01 not 1 thousand nine hundred and one... come on!!

March 3, 2009 @ 1:07 PM

DanG

Twenty-Ten it is. (I've been saying "Twenty-oh" since twenty-oh-one.)

Most TV/radio news people say "twenty" for 2010 and beyond. Odd, but advertisers still say "two thousand and ten". Don't know why they don't get it.

March 20, 2009 @ 6:29 PM

Patrick

Dan:

Yeah, I agree. All the new ads for the 2010 cars are coming out, and they all say "two thousand ten".

Damn, "two thousand" has lost its edge, it doesn't sound futuristic anymore. "Twenty" sounds modern and appropriate for 2010.

*sigh* those damn car companies, probably just want to make absolute sure that none of their customers were confused about "twenty-ten".

March 21, 2009 @ 12:29 AM

Anonymous

you don't say and...there is no decimal point

April 20, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

DanC

I think by the year 2010, it will be half and half (half going for twenty ten, and half opting for two thousand ten). But by the year 2020, it will be all over but the shoutin'. Twenty twenty is just too perfect, and with its alternate meaning of "clarity" (think 20/20 vision), it would almost seem awkward to refer to the first "20" as two thousand and the second "20" as twenty. After that, I believe that "twenty" will endure through the rest of the century.

April 21, 2009 @ 8:32 AM

DanG

I heard a radio add today for the 2010 Ford Fusion. They said "twenty-ten". Finally!

May 7, 2009 @ 4:13 AM

Sims

And Ashley Furniture TV ad:
"No payments until twenty-thirteen."
So, they're getting it. One at a time.

May 29, 2009 @ 5:09 PM

Nathan

Yeah I agree with Dawson. I don't think pronouncing it "twenty-ten" is changing anything, since technically the current year should be reffered to as twenty-oh-nine. A hundred years ago the year was nineteen-oh-nine, and now it is twenty-oh-nine. I think it all began back in the sixties with the movie 2001 Space Odyssey when they pronounced it two-thousand-one. (btw, I'm just assuming this since I'm only 15 and don't remember the 60's)

August 8, 2009 @ 9:32 PM

Jimmy

Nathan you are right...I'll bet that the movie 2001: A Space Odessy began the mispronunciation of the year. The director of the movie, Stanley Kubrick, even said he wrestled with how to pronounce the year. He was a very eccentric guy and I'll bet he went with the incorrect pronunciation rather than the correct. Knowing his movie would nudge people to pronounce the year as two thousand and one.

The bottom line is what number comes after 19?..It's 20...You say Nineteen Oh Nine, so the current year is called twenty-oh nine...There is no comma after the two...

Incorrect - 2,009
Correct - 2009

I've been pronouncing the year properly since 2001. People laugh or tell me to say the year correctly...I say I am. I wasn't born in the year One Thousand, Nine hundred and Seventy One (1971)...

November 6, 2009 @ 11:37 PM

David

A point everyone has missed is that Twenty Ten instantly communicates a date as opposed to a number. The Two Thousand thing was a novelty and aberration- heh they even celebrated the millennium a whole year early, only 99 years after seeing in the 20th century at the END of 1900.

December 1, 2009 @ 10:09 AM

Nulono

This is in no way "the way it has always been"; Article 1 Section 9 of the US Constitution forbids the regulation of slavery until 1808, and says "one thousand eight hundred and eight".

December 7, 2009 @ 2:01 PM

Nulono

The logic that "oh" is "awkward" makes no sense. What about nineteen "oh" five?

December 7, 2009 @ 2:27 PM

Marc

Twenty-ten, it's easier to say.

We got stuck with "two thousand and ..." due to the year "two thousand" which didn't really have an alternative - but it should have been a one off.

December 22, 2009 @ 9:32 AM

BaltimoreBabe

I am on a real soap box about this. I am correcting everyone that is should be pronounced "twenty ten". And when they ask why I say how did they pronounce "1910"? Did they say "one thousand nine hundred and ten"? Also I agree that it was uncomfortable to pronounce the "oh" - I think that's why people have been pronouncing the last years "two thousand and ...". SPREAD THE WORD!

December 28, 2009 @ 2:36 AM

Chels

It'll be twenty ten. We probably started two thousand because it would be weird saying twenty zero zero or twenty hundreds (like 1800 = eighteen hundred).

December 30, 2009 @ 10:59 PM

scott

During the last decade (the 00's or "aughts" or "twenty aughts"), I was so militant on this issue that I even wrote the year with a comma between the two zeros. Of course, this would confuse people when I wrote "20,00" which I would pronounce "twenty hundred", just as I would say "twenty dollars" and $20.01 as "twenty-oh-one". I clearly recall Colin Powell saying "twenty", then stopping himself and saying "two thousand and two". What's up with that? Are we still waiting for Jesus to come back, and so we're stuck forever at "two thousand"?

July 29, 2011 @ 10:27 PM

Anonymous

I agree that 20 oh *** sounds awkward. Maybe it's because people are used to having a consonant sound before the oh part. eleveN oh * twelVe, thirteeN and so on. TwentEE sounds weird. Also, it sounds like twenty one - twnety nine sort of

July 13, 2012 @ 3:19 PM