The Argument You Can't Win

crossRecently, Freddie P. wrote about Bill Maher's Religulous.

Even though we've advanced in leaps and bounds over the past couple of decades, and much of what religion represents has been exposed as a cover for corruption, greed and much too often sexual assault, Religulous is valuable in the sense that it gives the "other side" equal time.

As Maher points out in the movie, the idea of Santa Claus visiting every house on earth in one evening is ridiculous, but the thought of one man having the capability of controlling the earth and being privy to all our thoughts is widely accepted.

How screwed is that?

I've got an entire category devoted to my struggles with Catholicism. As youngsters, we are groomed to believe that which our parents believe. As adults, it's difficult for many to reach a different conclusion. Many continue to blindly believe without questioning a thing.

As expected, Fred's entry ignited quite the debate in the comments. When one believes in their religion and/or their God, it's a sin to doubt and even the most sensible, rational argument will fall on deaf ears.

This is the argument you simply can't win. It's not even worth having it.

atheist_god

Argie

Mike: I spent some time reading the old blogs on your struggles with religion. I came to the one conclusion: Damn, can I write or what?!?

That is all......

February 19, 2009 @ 3:51 PM

Argie

mike: I happen to believe there is a God yet I'm not worried about anything and I'm enjoying my life. Therefore, the statement has no relevance.

If a person is worried and not enjoying life because of the possibility that there is a God, then that person should seek professional help.

To me this campaign is just a waste of money. Oh well, I'm all for free speech so it doesn't bother me.

February 19, 2009 @ 4:19 PM

James Edgar

I think it's a great campaign.

February 19, 2009 @ 9:09 PM

Roshan

I do not believe in any Gods. I hate religion more than anything in the world. It's a great campaign.

February 21, 2009 @ 12:58 PM

Don A.

Every organized religion has the same basic bottom line: WE are right & everyone else is wrong... Duhhhh! As young children, we were all fed the same BS our parents were fed by their parents... on & on, back in time. Most people are so well indoctrinated & brain-washed that they completely fail to realize, recognize or accept that fact, rejecting even the possibility. It is this kind of sad manipulation that gets weak-minded people to fly planes into buildings. It is a very subtle form of hypnosis on a grand scale that's been going on for so many centuries that it has become invisible to all but those w/ a sane and logical mind. In nearly all cases, it is forced upon us from birth under local culture & society through chastisement & ridicule by our own friends & relatives. It uses the 'need to belong' & natural want of acceptance in an insidious way. The conclusion is very simple: Those who disagree with any of this don't even know they are sheep.

June 15, 2009 @ 6:11 AM