Questioning the One Bottle Policy

justiceEarlier today I wrote about Edgefest taking place this Saturday at Downsview Park. I wondered aloud about the water policy. I've been at outdoor concerts where they've made me remove the cap of my bottled water upon entrance and I've been at other shows where the water was disallowed altogether.

From the official Downsview Park web site, here is the allowable water rule for this Saturday. "One (1) sealed plastic bottle of water." We've got the spelled out "one" and the numerical 1 so there's no confusion. They're letting us bring a single bottle of water in with us.

The first band I'm interested in seeing hits the stage at 12:30pm. I suspect Linkin Park will wrap up close to midnight. That means we're exposed in this large field on a hot July day for almost 12 hours. One bottle of water for a 12 hour show doesn't cut the mustard.

Is this merely a ploy to sell overpriced bottles of water on the inside? Is there really a safety concern or is that a convenient excuse? Is this ethical?

I'd like to close with an elaboration on that final point. On a hot July day with the sun beaming down, thousands of young men and women (and older dudes like me) will collect in the fields of Downsview Park to hear live music. We've each paid close to a hundred dollars for the pleasure, and staying hydrated will be the key health concern. Capping the carry-in water allotment at a single bottle is irresponsible, dangerous and a prime example of corporate gouging.

Don't nickel and dime us when it comes to drinking water.

water

A.R.

I wonder how much their water will be selling for. Five bucks?

July 10, 2008 @ 3:08 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

"Is this merely a ploy to sell overpriced bottles of water on the inside?"

July 10, 2008 @ 3:20 PM

Jill

This was one of my concerns when I was recently contemplating attending Burl Park to see Jack Johnson this summer. I drink copious amounts of water as half of my salivary glands were destroyed due to radiation therapy. I chose to play it safe and stay home. I will wait for the concert on DVD I guess. Corporate America sucks as they hold us hostage with their over inflated prices.

July 10, 2008 @ 4:46 PM

Jill

P.S. Despite the inflated prices of H20.....I am sure you will have a great time this weekend. We will be waiting for a recap.

July 10, 2008 @ 4:49 PM

Brad

yet another reason I decided to skip Edgefest.
At least when it was at Molson Park there were trees you could hide under to avoid the sun, but airports are pretty berift of trees, so no shade at all plus 45 minute line ups to buy water (that will have the cap removed making transporting more than 2 impossible).

I'm going to the Fringe instead, $10.00 in the shade sounds way better

July 10, 2008 @ 7:00 PM

Irvine

47 million: That's the number of barrels of oil used every year to create plastic bottles for bottled water in the USA alone. (about 20 days of oil consumption for all of Canada).

July 10, 2008 @ 8:57 PM

The_Voice

I think they'll provide free refill areas (don't know if they don't if it's legal)...

Why don't you bring in a giant plastic water cooler bottle. That's One (1) sealed plastic water bottle.

Heh... Linkin Park on "minutes to midnight" ;).

July 11, 2008 @ 10:35 AM

Mark Cooper

The City of Toronto will sometimes provide a free Water Trailer to events if requested (a trailer with 10 taps providing constant free cold tap water). htotogo@toronto.ca
The City has 2 of these but could build more if demand is there for this free service.

July 11, 2008 @ 12:02 PM

Toronto Mike

I remember these free water trailers from Molson Park - they usually ran dry by 3pm.

I hope both are working tomorrow... we'll see.

July 11, 2008 @ 1:52 PM