Early Canadian Rock: The 60s and 70s

canada flag I've got a bud who's been burying me in early Canadian rock these past few months. All good Canadians know "As Years Go By" by Mashmakan or "Oh What A Feeling" by Crowbar, but unless you remember the 60s, how would you know The Beau-Marks, The Ugly Ducklings or Motherlode?

I asked this friend to put together a mix of essential early Canadian rock listening for guys like me who need a crash course on everything before The Guess Who and Rush. He calls this volume one, with volume two to follow, and here are the 29 tunes on Early Canadian Rock: The 60s and 70s.

1. Little Darlin' - The Diamonds
  25. The Stones That I Throw - Levon & The Hawks
  26. Turned 21 - Fludd
  27. Unless You Care - Terry Black
  28. Walk On By - Bobby Kris & The Imperials
  29. When I Die - Motherlode

Robbie Lane

I'm flattered that you would include our tune on Volume 1.

Thanks,

Robbie Lane

www.robbielane.com

May 28, 2008 @ 3:02 PM

Jim W.

I would like to have the Bobby Kris & The Imperials, Grant Smith & The Power, and the Jayson King song. I have some great Canadian '60s tunes to trade?

Jim

June 3, 2008 @ 6:57 PM

Anonymous

Love Shirley Matthews. Not familiar with "Big Time Boy"...loved "Big Town Boy"... anyone remember "Private Property"? slane

August 29, 2008 @ 1:51 PM

graham

Who remembers Lynda Layne (tartan/RCA) Canada's Lulu? Think she was from Kitchener.
Where is she? She was great!

September 4, 2008 @ 3:30 PM

Mike Harrison

Wow -- this is an exceptionally good list! Thanks for the inclusion (I played bass on #6 and on #17). I'm surprised that for #17 you picked the B side, "Her Own life", over the A side, "Keep On Running" -- but again, this is a great list, and I'll now be hunting down copies of those I don't already have.

Kudos and Regards,

Mike Harrison
Toronto Canada

October 27, 2008 @ 2:32 PM

Maccie C

desperate to get Bobby Kris and The Imperials Walk on By where can I find it please???

February 21, 2009 @ 5:00 PM

evan paul

As a kid in the 60's, I played for a lot of bands during school days, then professionally during the 70's, 80's and 90s. I simply loved all those songs of the 60's, especially Mandala, Bobby Kris and The Imperials, Walk on By. Why? It was written by Bacharach and David, two of the greatest songwriters of our time.

January 3, 2018 @ 8:58 AM

Ed n

What about brainwashed by dct and the shays

January 3, 2018 @ 5:10 PM